Is there any way to purchase a Native 5 steel liner separately?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

Is there any way to purchase a Native 5 steel liner separately?

Post by fixall »

Is there any way to get a hold of the steel liners from a Native 5 without buying the whole knife?

My dream Native 5 (which will happen) has steel liners, burlap micarta scales, and a a tough, premium blade steel.

I'd hate to have to spend $150 on steel lined Native 5 just to scavenge the liners, spend another ~$100 on the scales, and then spend another $150 on a Sprint/Exclusive to get a Native 5 with a tough, premium steel.

Thanks for the help!
Wartstein

Re: Is there any way to purchase a Native 5 steel liner separately?

Post by Wartstein »

No expert, but I'd say just email Spyderco and see if they're willing to sell separate liners...
Or maybe you can still find a linered version of the cheapest (black) G10 S35VN / S 30 V model used for a reasonable price? (For now the version is linerless)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Who knows, if there's enough interest from the forum, maybe Sal would consider a sprint? I know there's talk of a Shaman with micarta scales, and Sal was testing a Police 4 with micarta...

What steel(s) are you thinking of?
fixall

Post by fixall »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:12 am
No expert, but I'd say just email Spyderco and see if they're willing to sell separate liners...
Or maybe you can still find a linered version of the cheapest (black) G10 S35VN / S 30 V model used for a reasonable price? (For now the version is linerless)
I think I'll do just that tomorrow unless I get an answer from Sal or Kristi here. If they can't sell me a liner separately, I'll likely do just that (purchase a cheap or damage g10 Native 5). Just seems like an expensive and wasteful way to get what I want.

Albatross wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:20 am
Who knows, if there's enough interest from the forum, maybe Sal would consider a sprint? I know there's talk of a Shaman with micarta scales, and Sal was testing a Police 4 with micarta...

What steel(s) are you thinking of?
Even if a burlap micarta Native 5 sprint was to happen... I can't imagine Spyderco would go back to using steel liners for it. I don't have an issue with having the scales custom made though. The canvas micarta scales I had made for my M4 Para 3 are performing phenomenally.

I'm not super picky about the steel as long as it's one of the tougher varieties. Rex45, 52100, M4, 204p/20cv/m390, Elmax, etc...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

fixall wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Even if a burlap micarta Native 5 sprint was to happen... I can't imagine Spyderco would go back to using steel liners for it.
Do you think Micarta alone would have enough structural strength to work linerless (like G10 does?) Honest question, I really don´t know...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
fixall

Post by fixall »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:37 am

Do you think Micarta alone would have enough structural strength to work linerless (like G10 does?) Honest question, I really don´t know...
I haven't the slightest clue to be honest. I'd rather not risk it though, and I prefer the heft and look that the liners provide.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

fixall wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:42 am
Wartstein wrote:

I haven't the slightest clue to be honest. I'd rather not risk it though, and I prefer the heft and look that the liners provide.
I just thought: IF Micarta alone is NOT strong enough, and IF Spyderco would do a Micarta sprint of the Native, they would have to make it linered; so one of your wishes would be fullfilled, you´d "just" have to swap the blade if the steel of the sprint would not be what you want.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Wartstein wrote:
fixall wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Even if a burlap micarta Native 5 sprint was to happen... I can't imagine Spyderco would go back to using steel liners for it.
If I recall correctly, micarta is more flexible than G10 and has less overall strength. Didn't Al Mar make a linerless knife with polished micarta scales? The lightweight Eagle variant? Anyway, it can be done, but the question is; does it make sense for that model? I think not.

If Spyderco were to make one in a sprint, due to forum demand, liners could be included for the same reason. I'm sure tons of Native fans would be interested, giving Spyderco reason to include micarta and liners.

Take this next bit with a grain of salt. Potentually flawed anecdotal "evidence" ahead.

I've made micarta before and noticed a fair but more flex than G10. It actually seemed closer to FRN levels of flex. This could have been due to the glue used (gorilla epoxy), which was very inconsistent, or maybe the entire process.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:02 am
Wartstein wrote:
fixall wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
If I recall correctly, micarta is more flexible than G10 and has less overall strength. Didn't Al Mar make a linerless knife with polished micarta scales? The lightweight Eagle variant? Anyway, it can be done, but the question is; does it make sense for that model? I think not.

If Spyderco were to make one in a sprint, due to forum demand, liners could be included for the same reason. I'm sure tons of Native fans would be interested, giving Spyderco reason to include micarta and liners.

Take this next bit with a grain of salt. Potentually flawed anecdotal "evidence" ahead.

I've made micarta before and noticed a fair but more flex than G10. It actually seemed closer to FRN levels of flex. This could have been due to the glue used (gorilla epoxy), which was very inconsistent, or maybe the entire process.
Thanks for the infos! Never even heard of that Al Mar, just looked it up: Overall length 22.6 cm, weight of only 70 grams, it just CAN`T have liners...

For me personally Micarta handled knives, especially with rough one, cry out "strength and real, honest hard use" (I mean I associate that with such knives), so I´d like liners in any case for a more heft, weight and stability; That´s why I feel the Shaman is the ideal knife for a Micarta sprint btw, but it would suit the Native not bad as well (since it is quite sturdy and thick in the blade for it´s size).
fixall

Post by fixall »

Well that was a letdown.

Spyderco just got back to me by email and said they can't sell me a Native 5 liner separately.

It seems silly for me to have to spend almost $400 to get a Native 5 I would like.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

fixall wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:38 pm
Well that was a letdown.

Spyderco just got back to me by email and said they can't sell me a Native 5 liner separately.

It seems silly for me to have to spend almost $400 to get a Native 5 I would like.
It doesn't seem silly. Unfortunately it's just impossible to appease everyone.

Why can't you just Franken-knife the remaining parts and sell it? There will be interest, especially if you buy the S110V variant. With any scales other than blurple, with the desirable S110V blade, you might actually make money on it. Lots of people are looking for that type of thing. You don't need to spend almost $400 and be stuck with that final cost. If you play your cards right, you'll have a $200-250 final cost, and the knife you want.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

You can’t just buy an S110V g10 version then swap the scales?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have one Spyderco that started out as unlined FRN and now has wood scales over titanium liners. Fellow who did that one isn't doing that type of thing anymore, but I mention it because I suspect there are probably still folks out there who could make a set of liners.

Wartstein wrote: Do you think Micarta alone would have enough structural strength to work linerless (like G10 does?) Honest question, I really don´t know...

All three sizes of the Goddards were originally unlined Micarta, So were the C34 Jess Horn, the original Calypso, the original Calypso Jr. and at least a half dozen other models
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:10 pm
You can’t just buy an S110V g10 version then swap the scales?
WARNING! ALERT! ATENCIONE!

Scales made for a normal Native 5 G10 WILL NOT fit on the S110V Native 5!

WILL NOT FIT!

Go ahead, ask me how I know.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

fixall wrote:
Well that was a letdown.

I'd start scouring eBay for a beat up Native with the liners.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:34 pm
fixall wrote:
Well that was a letdown.

It doesn't seem silly. Unfortunately it's just impossible to appease everyone.

Why can't you just Franken-knife the remaining parts and sell it? There will be interest, especially if you buy the S110V variant. With any scales other than blurple, with the desirable S110V blade, you might actually make money on it. Lots of people are looking for that type of thing. You don't need to spend almost $400 and be stuck with that final cost. If you play your cards right, you'll have a $200-250 final cost, and the knife you want.
That’s likely what I’ll do. After making my knife, I’d be left with a useless set of Blurple or black scales with the liner removed and either a S110V or S35VN Frankenstein knife with scales salvaged from the M4. I should be able to sell it for $100 - $120, leaving me with a total cost of around $260 - $280.

I just have to make sure a S110V or S35VN blade from Native with liners can be swapped into a Native without liners... And a M4 blade from a linerless Native can be swapped into a Native with liners. Sounds like I might run into some issues.

I guess I was just hoping Spyderco could sell me a parts kit (which contains liners) for the Native 5 like they did for the Ensure and Delica.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

fixall wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:41 pm
I guess I was just hoping Spyderco could sell me a parts kit (which contains liners) for the Native 5 like they did for the Ensure and Delica.
I've only seen the kits for the Delica and Endura and they don't offer those anymore.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
fixall

Post by fixall »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:31 pm
fixall wrote:
I've only seen the kits for the Delica and Endura and they don't offer those anymore.
Lol, darn autocorrect. I meant Endura.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

fixall wrote:
Albatross wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:34 pm
fixall wrote:

I sure would have been glad for you if Spyderco had sold you separate liners, but then I totally get why they don't: I guess if they started doing so, many people would ask for separate parts, which would make it harder to plan production. As it is now, they can plan like: "Producing 1000 sets of liners means producing 1000 sets of scales for those", but if they started selling parts, that would be more complicated.

Also, when selling parts , as time goes by probably more and more maybe sometimes not-so-well put together (by customers) knives would hit the secondary market, looking like genuine Spydercos, and that could hurt their reputation concerning built quality?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I sure would have been glad for you if Spyderco had sold you separate liners, but then I totally get why they don't: I guess if they started doing so, many people would ask for separate parts, which would make it harder to plan production. As it is now, they can plan like: "Producing 1000 sets of liners means producing 1000 sets of scales for those", but if they started selling parts, that would be more complicated.

Also, when selling parts , as time goes by probably more and more maybe sometimes not-so-well put together (by customers) knives would hit the secondary market, looking like genuine Spydercos, and that could hurt their reputation concerning built quality?
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.