I Have a Hankering for a G10 Scales Native 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

I Have a Hankering for a G10 Scales Native 5

Post by dreadpirate »

I have two FRN Native 5's; and even with all the new Spydies out there; all I want right now is a Native 5 with G10 scales. Even a plain Jane black with S35V steel would be fine.
fixall

Re: I Have a Hankering for a G10 Scales Native 5

Post by fixall »

Fortunately the BladeHQ Native 5 with natural jade G10 scales and black DLC coated M4 steel is just around the corner. :)

I just wish it had steel liners.

I’m really not liking that Spyderco switched to a linerless construction with the G10 Native 5. :(
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Funny, I’m hankering one without liners.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I carried this one at work the other day. I planned on reprofiling the edge today but ran out of time. I'm thinking about ordering some new scales for it.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Do you want the new linerless g10 base model with s30v or the old base model with liners and s35vn? Bc the older ones are getting harder to find.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
fixall

Post by fixall »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:53 pm
Yea... I think I might be in the minority with my preference for liners. It’s not a strength thing but a heft thing with me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

fixall wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:07 pm
Jazz wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:53 pm
Yea... I think I might be in the minority with my preference for liners. It’s not a strength thing but a heft thing with me.
I'm interested in the linerless G10 models but I'm in no hurry to get one. I have a few LW/FRN models as well as a linerless fluted CF model. I'll pickup a linerless G10 model when there's a sprint or exclusive that I can't live without. In the meantime, I'm hanging on to the two N5s with liners that I have. On one hand I like light weight knives but, on the other hand, I like the heft of the models with liners. I feel fortunate to a variety of N5s in my collection.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

When the S110V first came out I jumped on it. I hated the angular scales so much I didn't carry it. I had some pine cone contoured scales installed, much better.
However after getting the fluted CF I'm back to not carrying that S110V. Liner less is amazing.
So I'm back to angular scales on the liner less BHQ. Ugh...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

fixall wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:07 pm

I have the Lil Native back lock, and it’s superb in heft and feel. It reeks of quality. I also have the back lock Manix. Same thing. I have some linerless G10 Cold Steels. Same thing.

I do have the G10 Native with liners. I like it. Very solid and feels like a wee tank.

I just know the linerless Native is awesome. Just a matter of time until I get one.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:35 pm
When the S110V first came out I jumped on it. I hated the angular scales so much I didn't carry it. I had some pine cone contoured scales installed, much better.
However after getting the fluted CF I'm back to not carrying that S110V. Liner less is amazing.
So I'm back to angular scales on the liner less BHQ. Ugh...

I did round the corners slightly on my G10 with liners. Feels better. Will do the same when I get a linerless.
- best wishes, Jazz.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:28 pm
Do you want the new linerless g10 base model with s30v or the old base model with liners and s35vn? Bc the older ones are getting harder to find.
Old one - and thanks for pointing that out.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I just ordered the older model with steel liners/S35VN. I know they won't sell out next week but it's only a matter of time; might as well get it now.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
fixall

Post by fixall »

Probably not the place to ask...

But is there any way to get a hold of the steel liners from a Native 5 without buying one?

My dream Native 5 (which WILL happen) has steel liners, burlap micarta scales, and a a tough, premium blade steel.

I'd hate to have to spend $150 on steel lined Native 5 just to scavenge the liners, spend another ~$100 on the scales, and then spend another $150 on a Sprint/Exclusive to get a Native 5 with a tough, premium steel.

*edit
I guess I might as well open a thread about this to ask.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I actually like both the linerless and linered versions. The ones with a steel liner would be great with Cruwear, 4V and 3V. Im down for any new Native though. Cant wait for the BHQ M4 DLC!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Good grief, I just ordered a linerless one. Enough knives for a long time!
- best wishes, Jazz.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Well - I THOUGHT I ordered a version with liners; that's what the description said. But what arrived is the linerless model with S35VN. Actually, I kind of like it :)

I submitted a review stating the description was not accurate and like 2 hours later they updated it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

fixall wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:51 am
Probably not the place to ask...

But is there any way to get a hold of the steel liners from a Native 5 without buying one?

My dream Native 5 (which WILL happen) has steel liners, burlap micarta scales, and a a tough, premium blade steel.

I'd hate to have to spend $150 on steel lined Native 5 just to scavenge the liners, spend another ~$100 on the scales, and then spend another $150 on a Sprint/Exclusive to get a Native 5 with a tough, premium steel.

*edit
I guess I might as well open a thread about this to ask.
Buy the Native that has the liners and steel that you like and send it to cuscade.de to get some scales.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just got the linerless, and it’s fantastic. Love the weight, compared to the lingered tank. Both are nice, but this is real nice.
- best wishes, Jazz.
archangel

Post by archangel »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 pm
I just ordered the older model with steel liners/S35VN. I know they won't sell out next week but it's only a matter of time; might as well get it now.

I'm lurking around this one for quite some time now. Only reason for not jumping on it is my hope to somewhere find an affordable fluted titanium model. I so much hate myself that I didn't grab one when they were on disco'd sale. :( Chances are slim now. And now you tell me that the G10 version with liners is going to sell out eventually, too. :eek: Haven't really realized this.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...