Hello, why do you guys like Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CXXX

Re: Hello, why do you guys like Spyderco?

Post by CXXX »

Quality, The Company, I have been able to talk directly in person to Sal on 2 Occasions, also Mr. Schemp, and Michael Janich. A very open company that truly values their customers.
Plus I can remember the knives by their names! I cannot remember knives that are named by a Number.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I like the various locking mechanisms, largest variety of steel options compared to any other company, knives that cover a large price spectrum from entry level to supreme materials though all are made with high quality.

I also think, for me...this forum plays a major part as well. We're a small niche of the population and I absolutely love shooting the breeze with people here, learning new things almost daily, having interesting off topic conversations and getting to know people outside of just the knives. I had 2 Spyderco knives before joining this forum. I'm now going onto my 13th and have sold about 5 or 6 all within a year! I don't regret a single purchase.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They will look odd to you at first, but after carrying and using them, you’ll think they’re beautiful. The first Spyderco I picked up, the first thing I thought was, wow, that is quality. It was a Delica in the 90’s. I wish I bought it. I’d have been into Spyderco even longer, and not missed out on so many oldies.

Welcome, by the way, and good luck with your choosing.
- best wishes, Jazz.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

jaypuck wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:04 pm
Hi guys,

I'm seriously thinking about buying my first Spyderco and wanted to know why YOU like Spyderco knives. Even a "cheap" one like Delica is a pretty significant knife purchase for me, most of my knives are Kershaw or CRKT so I usually don't spend over $50 on a knife.

So, what convinced you to buy a Spyderco? What DON'T you like about them?
Hi Jaypuck,

From the responses so far, I suspect you've noticed a theme..

Spyderco is an absolutely fantastic company that makes great knives.. and, for sure, I can echo each one of the positive sentiments highlighted in this thread.

But since you did ask.. one negative aspect about Spyderco knives is that.. depending upon your preferences.. pocket clip placement can be downright ugly. If your preference leans towards deep carry, some models may not be to your liking. I'll admit, this was a turn off for me when I first got into Spyderco. But the more I used the knives, the more I came to recognize that the clip placement was, in most cases, by design, allowing for the most comfortable grip possible on the knife. However... I've also found that there are so many aftermarket pocket clip options for Spydercos that I have not had any issues getting deep carry clips for any of my knives if I find the factory clip position too unbearable. Yes, this is an added cost, but it's been worth it for me to be able to modify my knifes how I like them. This is really my only gripe with Spyderco and I consider it a minor one given the myriad positive aspects of the company.

I understand your trepidations over cost.. I used to be very much like you, buying only Kershaw/CRKT etc, because that's what I could afford.. Eventually my income increased to the point where I could more comfortably afford "better" knives and I really got into Spyderco about a year ago. I've never looked back.

When it comes down to it, my advice would be "get a Spyderco!" Really.. any Spyderco. Every one that I've handled is vastly superior to a majority of the competition. You really can't go wrong. But, be warned.. In my experience, one leads to more..

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here, as I have.

Rick
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
idubodywork

Post by idubodywork »

Id like to hit on something no one has mentioned yet....quality control and consistency.
Most knife manufactures , even other premium manufacturers, have their knives made in 1 maybe 2 facilities /countries with huge variations in quality and fit and finish ( clearly a lack of concern for the end product ). On the other hand Sal, Eric and the gang, AKA the great folkes at Spyderco, make and have their knives made in 5 different facilities / countries ( i may have missed a couple ) and each and every model that gets to the end user is spot on every time... if by some rare chance one was a little off i have full confidence they'd make it right...i guess what im saying is that I like spyderco because of their superior qauality control and their concern for the end product. Get your hands on a USA or Tiawan...yes I said Tiawan ...made spyderco and let the knife speak for its self
:spyder: What A Great Knife ! :spyder:
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I like the pure functionality of their knives, the ergonomics, and believe it or not, I love the looks. Spyderco does have a reputation for making ugly knives, but I enjoy their looks. Also, the company listens and helps it's consumers, in ways that are usually only seen in brand new companies, not ones that are decades old. The fact that Spyderco introduced the pocket clip and revolutionized pocket knives is another huge reason. Lastly, sprint runs and exclusives.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Three answers from me.

1 - very subjective, kind of only relevant for weird goofs like me who have strong collector's genes: Spyderco offers such a broad spectrum of different knives that you can really specialize your collection in many many ways. It's like Paradise. :)

2 - relevant for you and I guess like 99% of the muggle world: even the lowest price Spydies have superior quality. I owned a Byrd Meadowlark once, and I can't say that I sold it because of its poor quality. Au contraire! Nowadays I own and carry every day on my work and home keychains a Honeybee and a Grasshopper. Both super affordable, super small - but also super handsome, and super sharp when they arrived!!

3 - as simple as that: THIS FORUM.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. ;) Good luck if you're actually trying NOT to be bitten by the :spyder:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

I really didn’t care for Spyderco to begin with. I started with a police several years ago and sold it. I tried other ones over the years but they didn’t work for me either. Last year on a whim I bought a Manix2 off the exchange, it was cheap, and I was smitten. I now have a CPM 4V and 153CM Sabre grind. These have become my favorite. I have a Dog Tag on my key chain and a Sage 2 for weekends.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jaypuck,

Welcome to our forum.

Lets us know what you think after you use one of our knivevs for a while?

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have owned a lot of other knives but when I first held a Delica and a Caly3 my hand was in love. These knives just have ergos that cannot be beaten by any knife company. Spyderco makes them fit and then makes the knife. I like one hand opening and I like back locks and caged ball locks, which Spyderco makes the best of each (invented caged ball locks). There is nothing like Spyderco, anywhere.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Design.Ergos.Spydie hole.Colors.Steels.Lightweight.Cool colabs with great designers.Sal and Eric are closer to their fans than any knife makers.Buy the Delica already,you will never regret.Of course,you will then buy another,then a Endura,then a Dragonfly,a Polestar...and then you will discover the fix blades...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

They dare to be bold. There not afraid to play with crazy steels even if there is public backlash from improper use and the steel is taking the fall. I like Sal's approach and leadership and I see that it trickles down from the top to all the great aspects of the company and knives. I like that there is an underlying focus on the knives and not just a pure profit driven focus. They do many things that are not profitable for the sake of exploration and enhancing the community.

Most importantly, I enjoy there pragmatic approach to knife design and making them for the hand and not for the eyes.

I think everyone should get a chance to meet Sal. I meet him last year and it was a significant experience for me. Hope to see him again at the Eugene show.

Love Spyderco.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Quality & familiarity.

When I started carrying 1-hand opening knives in the early 90s there were only a few knife companies that offered them. Spyderco, Benchmade, Al Mar & Cold Steel were the ones I had access to. Al Mar knives were very nice, but kinda pricey & harder to come by - no internet then. Didn't really like the Cold Steel Voyagers. So that left Spyderco & Benchmade. While I had knives from both, I tended to use my Spyderco knives more since they cost less. I carried a Delica as an EMT, Army Medic, and Med Asst/CNA. During all those years I never had one problem. I now work a desk in a hospital, but you'll still find a Spyderco knife most days in my pocket. Lately it's been the Rhino.

That kind of familiarity lends a confidence in the product. I know what a Delica can do & how far I can push it. Having a company whose president & employees actively participate & listen to their community just adds to my brand loyalty. I know that if I have an issue or concern with a Spyderco knife it will get handled. Only other knives I own where I get that level of confidence are from custom makers.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

They look awesome and function better than they look.

Seriously though, I started with a cheap milwaukee fastback. Then decided to get a Kershaw Tone from academy sports because it had assisted opening and a cool, blacked out tanto blade! Then I got a cryo and cryo 2. I still have and use them (I love Hinderer designs).
Then I looked into other brands. Everyone online said the best inexpensive knife was the tenacious. So I got one, and they were right. The spydie hole is genius, the ergos are amazing, and it's just a great all around knife.
Then I got a Resilience and it's just outrageous size wise! But also a very good, and fun, knife.
Then I wanted an American spyderco. I got a Manix 2. Now I'm spoiled, it's just the best feeling in the hand and the best quality imo. The ball bearing lock is pretty sweet. And now I have another manix on the way, and a para 3 lw pre-ordered.

I was hesitant about spending more than 30 or so bucks on a knife as well, but after the tenacious I realized you really do get what you pay for. Not to say cheaper kershaws are bad, they are very good (I still love mine!)
Once you hold a spydie though, and use the hole... Its love. And this forum and the company interactions? Just a great thing to be a part of!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

What really got me into Spyderco was how many specialized knives they have. So many companies make general use type knives that are designed to try and do everything-- vanilla edc or tactical, no matter what levels of trim or material. Spyderco does have many edc or tactical orientated knives. But, they have all their specialized ones too: the Salt series, rescue knives, knives for performance afi's, even a folding kitchen knife.Each knife they make was designed with a purpose in mind and 9/10 that purpose shows throw.

I also love how they give new designers a chance that other companies won't and they make those collaborations in their (debatably) best factory.

Their CQI program is refreshing, too.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Good question, well asked!

I like Spyderco because they make knifes that suit my needs. The Salt Line for example, use and forget. The Military arguably the best large production folder made today in all the latest new you beauty steels. Fixed blades like the Sprig to rival any custom at the price. The simple SharpMaker ... the list goes on and on and last but not least the head of the company who finds time to interact with kooks like me. :)

Not sure that there may be too much not to like. Unless of coarse you expect perfectly ground bevels, lamination lines, etc. from a practical and affordable production knife. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Benchmade don’t have a forum where I can post Pictures of knives I’ve ruined
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Great quality, great customer service, great people such as Sal and Eric and Kristi and others, and new innovations.
rak2

Post by rak2 »

PROS:
Quality
Lots of Choices

CON:
Too Many Choices !!

;-)
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

captnvegtble wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:57 am
1. The Spyderhole is the best opening mechanism without question
2. Very ergonomic and useful knife designs
3. Reliable and durable knives - I've owned dozens of Spyderco knives and have never had to utilize their warranty/repair (I bought another knife brand recently and had to contact their warranty department twice in a 10-month period to replace the clip and then replace the locking spring mechanism which broke).
4. lots of innovation and new steels in knife designs I love
Yes what he said.