My new Manix 2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

My new Manix 2!

Post by soc_monki »

Hey guys! Got my manix yesterday. Just a little review... I love it! It feels great, weight is good, lock is awesome, and it's just a beautifully built knife. Comparing to my tenacious and resilience, it feels a little smoother and more attention was paid to fit and finish. Every screw on the manix is perfect, while on the Chinese knives the countersinking (sunk? Haha) is off here and there. One screw will be a little proud, some more even with the scales, some a little deeper.

I don't mind the finger choil, and I really thought I would! Only thing that annoys me is the tip-up carry only, but I'm getting used to it!

Overall I love it, and am considering a second in lightweight (blue).

I am at work, but will post some pictures as soon as I can!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Wartstein

Re: My new Manix 2!

Post by Wartstein »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:21 pm
Hey guys! Got my manix yesterday. Just a little review... I love it! It feels great, weight is good, lock is awesome, and it's just a beautifully built knife. Comparing to my tenacious and resilience, it feels a little smoother and more attention was paid to fit and finish. Every screw on the manix is perfect, while on the Chinese knives the countersinking (sunk? Haha) is off here and there. One screw will be a little proud, some more even with the scales, some a little deeper.

I don't mind the finger choil, and I really thought I would! Only thing that annoys me is the tip-up carry only, but I'm getting used to it!

Overall I love it, and am considering a second in lightweight (blue).

I am at work, but will post some pictures as soon as I can!
Glad you like it! The ergos are just great on this model. I personally prefered the LW even over the regular one (the LW feels pretty sturdy despite beeing linerless)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Excellent choice! Glad you like it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Glad you like it! The ergos are just great on this model. I personally prefered the LW even over the regular one (the LW feels pretty sturdy despite beeing linerless)
I absolutely love it! So much I ordered a blue lightweight manix 2 today! So many knives so little time!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

You’re saying the Tenacious countersink depths vary? That is surprising. Aren’t those scales made on a CNC? They should be all identical. Are you sure they are torqued down?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

From what I can tell it is minor. I've checked torque on all the scale screws of my Tenacious and Resilience, and they're all snug. It doesn't hinder function in any way so it's not a big deal.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I absolutely love it! So much I ordered a blue lightweight manix 2 today! So many knives so little time!
You'll love the lw at least as much as the G10 Manix I bet.. ;)

For me the Manix is one of the best knives ever when it comes to ergos both in a regular and a choked up grip (maybe the Shaman is even slightly better).
Downside: Both very long and wide package when closed and in carry for the actual cutting edge you get. But if you don't mind that, maybe wearing work-pants with wider, roomy pockets you just can't go wrong with the Manix.

I can see from your signature that you're planning on getting a Para 3 LW as a smaller blade? Maybe you also want to consider a Chaparral LW (FRN) for that? That knife flew under my radar for a long time, but absolutely blew me away when I got it in hands. I am not an Electrician like you are, but I could imagine that the very thin, precise and slicey blade of the Chap could be even better suited for finer work in that capacity than the Para 3 (whicj has a thick blade imho for the short length).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 am
soc_monki wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:

You'll love the lw at least as much as the G10 Manix I bet.. ;)

For me the Manix is one of the best knives ever when it comes to ergos both in a regular and a choked up grip (maybe the Shaman is even slightly better).
Downside: Both very long and wide package when closed and in carry for the actual cutting edge you get. But if you don't mind that, maybe wearing work-pants with wider, roomy pockets you just can't go wrong with the Manix.

I can see from your signature that you're planning on getting a Para 3 LW as a smaller blade? Maybe you also want to consider a Chaparral LW (FRN) for that? That knife flew under my radar for a long time, but absolutely blew me away when I got it in hands. I am not an Electrician like you are, but I could imagine that the very thin, precise and slicey blade of the Chap could be even better suited for finer work in that capacity than the Para 3 (whicj has a thick blade imho for the short length).
Have looked a little bit at the chaparral as well. It's on the radar! The para 3 was an impulse pre-order honestly! I figure it's different, has a compression lock and I've never experienced that, and a little smaller. I think the manix is about the perfect size (or anything in the Tenacious range) but have no trouble carrying something as big as the resilience or as heavy as a Kershaw cryo 2. My pockets have plenty of room! Haha!

The chap will have to wait, but there are plans to add it, a delica, and Endura to the family as well 👍🏻
Joey

Post by Joey »

I much prefer the LW to the G10. I’m glad you’re liking your purchases so far! I too have mostly bought Kershaw/Spyderco knives, but have more recently sold or given my Kershaw knives away. My brother has my old Cryo, and a friend of mine has happened upon a Cryo at a restaurant. It’s funny to see how much they like them, coming from using whatever they can get their hands on for less than $20/knife. If they only knew what a mere $5 or $10 more would have gotten them all this time.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I love the Manix. It is such a great design. I got the standard G10 version, the lightweight, the CPM154/S90V sprint, and the backlock. I think it's the knife model I have the most variants of in my collection because I like it so much. The ergonomics on the handle are fantastic, and IMO even more so on the discontinued backlock variant, which is thicker and more hand filling. But the one I used the most was my lightweight. Used it as a beater and loaner. Fantastic work knife.