Why is having the blade drop closed such a big deal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Why is having the blade drop closed such a big deal?

Post by vivi »

Catamount123 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 am
Personally, I much prefer to guide it closed with my index finger and/or thumb in the Spyderhole.
I'm the same way. Letting it swing freely can make it easier to cut yourself. Plus a lot of times it takes longer to close the knife since it has a tendency to bounce back open a hit.

There's a lot of folks these days that are more concerned with how their folders function as a fidget toy than a worling knife. That's the main reason for this trend. Obviously not everyone that likes a free swinging blade is like this, but many of em are.
:unicorn
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I don't mind it so much. I actually consider it a sweet-spot between a loose pivot and too tight. With my Police 3 and my Para 1, the smoothness that the blade freely drops with the lock pressure removed is a sign of how well worn in the mating surfaces are. I honestly wish some of my other folders did the same, but I don't lose any sleep over it.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

While it may be a big deal to some it seems relatively unimportant. I often carry a Great Eastern Cutlery slip joint and can close it easily and quickly with one hand. I suppose dropping a blade closed is fun and maybe impresses non knife folks.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I view folders as simple little machines that can be tuned fairly easily if of course they are made to be disassembled so I tune them. I s’pose it’s no secret that the Military is my favourite and one of the contributing factors is, it’s easy to get them perfect or at least what I consider perfect. :rolleyes:

With minimal time and effort I find it easy to clean, lube and adjust everything so that with the lock disengaged and the knife upside down (edge up) and blade resting on the stop pin there is no discernible blade play. When the knife is right way round and the lock disengaged the blade doesn’t free fall as it would with an overly loose pivot screw but almost and swings smoothly and freely to rest the choil on my thumb. I’m not a flicker but the knife ends up flicking easily with thumb or middle finger if I choose and for the lack of a better word everything is nice. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I like having the ability to quickly open my knife with one hand and quickly close with one hand. When cutting things that can't be set down right away, having a blade that drops shut is a very important feature. Or the scenarios where I need both hands free as soon as possible, after making the cut(s). A lock back could be used, but becomes more of a hassle than it's worth to go through the 2 point closing system. Efficiency is key for me. Why walk, when you can take a car? I own lockbacks and slip joints that get used regularly, just in different roles than my PM2.

While most people may not need or prefer it, some do, so for that reason, it shouldn't be looked at as something strictly for "ninjas", or fidgety types. Of course, there are plenty of "ninjas" and fidgety types who buy knives that drop shut to fill their wants, but who cares if they do? We all love knives, so why does it matter?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I don’t think it is a big deal is it?
If it was wouldn’t people simply opt for heavier blade stock... oh wait,
In actuality a knife with no play, perfectly centred and a near frictionless pivot is just a good example of that knife.
Low stress and wear on the pivot but a solid lock up-
Being free dropping is a byproduct.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

I don't care about drop shut action unless there's zero blade play and the blade is centered. Maybe it's ocd, but I just like being able to fine tune my folders for those three things. Most of my PM2's and Para 3's are that way, although my Rex 45 Para 3 took some work to get it to drop shut without having any blade play.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ease of use. I can take out my spydie, use the thumb hole to open it in a single motion, then use the compression lock tab to close it in a single motion. Makes taking it out, making a cut and putting it back in my pocket a quick and fluid motion.

This is useful when your other hand is full, or you'd like to spend more time working and less time opening and closing your knife, especially if you need to take your knife out multiple times while working, but don't have a convenient spot to set it down (other than your pocket) in between cuts. When you have to take your knife out 5 times in 3 minutes, you start to notice a difference between using a back lock and a compression lock, even if they both drop free.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I tighten mine so I have to flick them a bit so the blade drops on my finger. Not too loose and not too tight.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I agree with jazz. In the middle is best.
My cruwear para 3 has no resistance. Drops like a guillotine. The blade actually bounces off the stop.
It’s one of the reasons I don’t use that one much. Reminds me to tighten it. Been too lazy to fix that.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Sounds like some people here want an action expected from chris reeve. I can't say i blame them. I like glassy smooth.
I just want mine to close in one fell swoop
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:58 pm
Ease of use. I can take out my spydie, use the thumb hole to open it in a single motion, then use the compression lock tab to close it in a single motion. Makes taking it out, making a cut and putting it back in my pocket a quick and fluid motion.

This is useful when your other hand is full, or you'd like to spend more time working and less time opening and closing your knife, especially if you need to take your knife out multiple times while working, but don't have a convenient spot to set it down (other than your pocket) in between cuts. When you have to take your knife out 5 times in 3 minutes, you start to notice a difference between using a back lock and a compression lock, even if they both drop free.
Just as a point of comparison, sitting down, it took me three seconds to remove my GEC Stockman (slip joint) from my pocket and open a blade. And about one second to swipe the blade closed against my leg and slide it back into my pocket. I’d say that one could close and pocket a Stockman as fast or faster than one could with a compression lock knife. No clip to mess with either.

It still seems like drop shut knives are fun but seldom necessary in life. My Para Military 2 would drop shut, but frequently bounce back, slightly open. Had to nudge it closed with my fingers. Sometimes I could get it to drop closed completely but most often closed it manually. Quicker and safer.

It’s a personal preference and nothing wrong with that.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

For sure I understand people like the drop shut knives but I want nothing to do with a really, truly sharp knife that drops shut. I don't want it too impeded either. The back locks Spyderco makes are a good fit for me and though they do wear in smoother they don't get dangerous. I'm pretty careful usually but considering I carry at home and while out figuring I have almost 50 years of knife carry already accidents can and have happened. By far though the worst cut I ever got wasn't a knife but a jagged cat food can lid. The edge actually scraped the meat off the bone in one spot. My knife cuts were easy heals in comparison. I'll take all the safety I can get.

Joe
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ouch. The thought of that can cut made me feel ill.

As for free dropping blades, to quote someone wise, “I don’t need it, but it would make me very happy”.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We all like knives for different reasons. To some they are fidget toys. To others they are pieces of precision manufacturing to be admired. To others they are simply tools.

I would say it is important to some people because of what I call the "fidget factor".

In the end it isn't a big deal to me but like I said, we all like knives for different reasons and we all like different things about our knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think I can operate my lock back Spydercos as quick as folks can operate a compression lock. If anyone here wants to make a video where they open and close their compression lock folder quickly, I'll do the same with a lock back.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:30 pm
I think I can operate my lock back Spydercos as quick as folks can operate a compression lock. If anyone here wants to make a video where they open and close their compression lock folder quickly, I'll do the same with a lock back.
:D you shouldn't count Vivi ;)
You're an outlier. If I had your hands I could probably do that too.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I should mention, I own more backlocks than anything else. My spydie collection is probably 65% backlock. But I like those to drop free too, makes closing them faster.

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

If it drops free, fine.

If it doesn't, I don't care.

Does it cut?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:34 am

I'm the same way. Letting it swing freely can make it easier to cut yourself. Plus a lot of times it takes longer to close the knife since it has a tendency to bounce back open a hit.

There's a lot of folks these days that are more concerned with how their folders function as a fidget toy than a worling knife. That's the main reason for this trend. Obviously not everyone that likes a free swinging blade is like this, but many of em are.

I'm about 50/50. I'll admit I definitely fidget from time to time. I appreciate knives for more than just being tools, I get a lot of satisfaction from how the locks operate and how smooth the action is and this is where I like a free falling blade. Obviously it's not a deal breaker since my main EDC for the last year has been my Autonomy which requires deliberate effort to close, but I also don't really fidget with it nearly as much for that reason (apart from sometimes just opening it for no good reason just because it snaps open with authority).

Lots of hobbies are this way. Some car enthusiasts obsess over low miles and will trailer their car to shows and wipe it down with a cloth diaper, while the next guy drives it like he stole it. The first guy thinks the second guy is ruining his car by racking up the miles while the second guy thinks the first is missing out on fully enjoying his car since he never drives it. I understand both sides, I'm definitely more of a driver but I really appreciate seeing the well maintained low mileage cars. I think the knife hobby is similar, some guys collect and fidget and admire, while others use them for all their worth.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David