Second Time Around Possibilities?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Second Time Around Possibilities?

Post by JD Spydo »

My good Brother Archimedes along with Xceptnl and a couple of other good Brothers have been literally taking me down memory lane to what I've always referred to as The GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS ( 1998-2004) with that awesome "Throwback Thursday" thread. The great past models I've seen on that thread in the past week or so truly makes me wish that "Time Travel" was a reality. I was really fortunate when I first got into Spyderco's finest and most memorable models back in 1995 when I bought my very first unit because that's about when many of these great collaborations first started.

I was just thinking that some of these older designers that Spyderco did collaborations with might just still be alive and still be able to do more collaborations. Oh I know that some of the great ones like Jess Horn, Frank Centofante, Bob Lum and a few others have passed away unfortunately. But I've wondered at times if some of the other great Spyderco collaborators like JD Smith, Howard Viele, Ed Scott, Michael Walker or any of the others might still be alive for more great collaborations.

Particularly JD Smith's great Spyderco model has been in my "JD's Top 10" for years now and I would just love to see Spyderco and him maybe do another project together ( if he hasn't passed already). I'm pretty sure that Michael Walker is still with us because I keep a close eye on what KLOTZLI models are current and I'm pretty sure he still does stuff for them. But many of the others I'm not sure of. Who else would like a JD Smith II model? or maybe a Howard Viele II or any other models from the past line up of great Spyderco collaborators? And I know I'm not the only one who has thought about these great knife designers doing another Spyderco collaboration.
gundamaniac

Re: Second Time Around Possibilities?

Post by gundamaniac »

I'd love another reissue of the Terzuola Starmate. Good looking knife =P
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 am
I'd love another reissue of the Terzuola Starmate. Good looking knife =P
That's interesting>> because I've heard a lot of requests for Sprint Runs of the Starmate. I also still hear a lot of fanfare for Terzuola's first two Spyderco models as well. But the Starmate sure has special appeal to a lot of people for sure.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I think there were still some of the second issue Starmates available new when I got into knives and learned about Spyderco, but then I kept reading about unfavorable comparisons of the second issue Starmates qualitywise vs the original Starmates, so I never got one. Kind of regret it because I like the design so much. So I'm hoping for a Sprint or another reissue of the Starmate.

I'd like to see the Phoenix again too, but I already have one of those. I really liked the Viele/Mah custom Push that I believe the Phoenix was based on.
vivi

Post by vivi »

gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 am
I think there were still some of the second issue Starmates available new when I got into knives and learned about Spyderco, but then I kept reading about unfavorable comparisons of the second issue Starmates qualitywise vs the original Starmates, so I never got one. Kind of regret it because I like the design so much. So I'm hoping for a Sprint or another reissue of the Starmate.

I'd like to see the Phoenix again too, but I already have one of those. I really liked the Viele/Mah custom Push that I believe the Phoenix was based on.
I know where you can get a NIB 2nd run Starmate. It's over $200 though. PM me if you want the link to the store.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It is most interesting that the Starmate and two other models I could name from that era just continue to have a cult following. Like I said earlier the other two early Terzuola models seem to have a similar mystique to them as well.

Now my feelings are hurt :D :rolleyes: Because I thought for sure that someone would agree with me about having Spyderco and JD Smith both do another model at some point. The JD Smith has such a nostalgic but yet classic appeal to it. Not to mention it is one of the most functional Spyders I've ever owned>> in PE & SE both :cool:
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'd like to see another JD Smith model. The original JD Smith Spyderco looks like a well designed, useful knife. It's interesting to see how a bladesmith's style evolves over the years. A new model could be one of the most usable Spyderco knives ever made.

I'm also deeply saddened by the fact that we'll never see another Wayne Goddard collaboration. That man was a legend.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I would be up for a reissue of any of the Viele knives, even though I have all of them. A new model would be a real treat. His collaborations with Spyderco really speak to me. A JD Smith model is also appealing. Even if a designer has died, they may have left models (in varying stages of completion) which could be completed and brought to market.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm a fan of the J.D.Smith design and would love a steel upgrade sprint like HAP 40 or similar. I like the old ones too and still have a few but I like the newer ones better but there are some I'd love an upgrade on. Good thread Joe!

Joe
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I don't know about anyone else but I would love to see the Salsa return as a sprint run. Cobra hood and all.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My thoughts from Utopia - Every year us forumites vote for a particular model that then gets a new run :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:14 am
I'm a fan of the J.D.Smith design and would love a steel upgrade sprint like HAP 40 or similar. I like the old ones too and still have a few but I like the newer ones better but there are some I'd love an upgrade on. Good thread Joe!

Joe
The more I think about it and having two of my JD Smith models out here on the table as I'm speaking I'm just kind of blown away that the JD Smith model didn't become one of Spyderco's permanent models like their POLICE, Endura, Delica ect. Really the JD Smith Spyderco model is truly that well designed. I know Sal is going to want to throw rocks at me or suspend me from the Forum for saying this :eek: but I even like the pragmatic design of the JD Smith even better than I do a lot of the Calypso models>> and that's saying a lot coming from me because the C-54 and C-52 are among my all time favs ( :o Sorry Sal :D ).

A JD Smith with with either a 10V or M390 blade would be a fantasy come true :cool: