What would you want a Dragonfly XL to look like?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

What would you want a Dragonfly XL to look like?

Post by vivi »

I've seen a ton of requests for a Dragonfly XL.

I've always been a bit perplexed by the idea, to be honest.

To me the Dragonfly is a knife designed with a handle that is as small as possible while still offering a four finger grip, utilizing the index choil.

So for me that makes me wonder what a sized up Dragonfly would look like?

I view the Dragonfly handle shape as one bred out of the limitations the knife was designed around. In my eyes if you're going to scale up the design so that you get a full four finger grip behind the index choil, there are probably different handle shapes that would result in superior ergonomics.

So that begs the question, what exactly would you want a Dragonfly XL to look like? Same exact handle shape, just scaled up a bit? Something slightly modified, like the Manix vs Manix XL? Or a new handle shape paired to a larger Dragonfly shaped blade?
Last edited by vivi on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Daveho

Re: What would you want a Dragonfly XL to look like?

Post by Daveho »

My delica kinda fits the bill, grind the Ricasso to a choil and maybe some shortened scales.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I think it would look like a Delica.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me it's literally just a little longer. Don't change the ergonomics, just add about a half inch to the cutting edge and a half inch to the butt end of the handle to accommodate the extra blade length. You'd end up with more room for pinky placement while the rest of the grip would remain the same and so it would feel the same. Change literally nothing else. Just make it longer where it counts and don't make any other changes to the ergonomics. Maybe I'll draw something up when I get time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Vivi, the overall length of a Dragonfly is 5.36”. I’ve always loved the handle shape, the blade profile, and the thumb ramp above the hole. I think it’s one of the best looking models Sal offers!

I’d love to keep exactly the same profile / shape in a proportionally upsized 6.5” to 6.75” overall length.

Icing on the cake would be a made in Golden model with an upgraded steel, but I’d still take several of these in VG10.

For a man who wears machetes on his belt, I wouldn’t expect you to understand, lol. You know I’m kidding!
benben

Post by benben »

And what Evil said!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 pm
Same exact handle shape, just scaled up a bit?
benben wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 pm
I’d love to keep exactly the same profile / shape in a proportionally upsized 6.5” to 6.75” overall length.
Spyderco will never do this, with any of their models, ever. It's bad design, and fortunately, they know it. ;)

On the idea of a Dragonfly XL - I think it's a bit redundant to add to the lineup, especially since the Delica exists. Also, the Caly Jr. is pretty much exactly what people are requesting, it's just not as readily available. Other than that, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea as long as it doesn't replace the current Dragonfly. The fact that it's currently less than 2.5" is a large part of the appeal for me, at least.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The delica is definitely not a dragonfly XL. One has a 50/50 choil, and the other does not. Dragonfly XL would be more like a Chap or Native than a Delica.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Or kind of like an R with a curvier handle. But that kinda makes me want a Dragonfly XL.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 pm
For me it's literally just a little longer. Don't change the ergonomics, just add about a half inch to the cutting edge and a half inch to the butt end of the handle to accommodate the extra blade length. You'd end up with more room for pinky placement while the rest of the grip would remain the same and so it would feel the same. Change literally nothing else. Just make it longer where it counts and don't make any other changes to the ergonomics. Maybe I'll draw something up when I get time.
That´s exactly what I would like a DF XL to be like.

Honestly, I never even thought about such a model till it came up in the thread I started "Ideas for "sprintruns", not concerning steel..." (//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=82904) , but now I find the idea quite intriguing:

Not so long ago I had to decide between a DF and a Chap LW for a small IWB carry knife. I liked the (even) lighter weight of the DF, but finally decided for the Chap due to the in relation significantly longer edge (for my personal needs that more than 1 cm longer edge makes the Chap a lot more usefull).

Now if a DF XL would be half an inch longer than the existing DF, it would feature almost exactly the same edge as the Chap, while still beeing much lighter due to the linerless FRN. plus more robust due to the thicker stock (and still be signicicantly shorter than the Delica when closed, plus lighter).

I´d be really interested in such a DF XL, though now that I actually HAVE and experienced the Chap I maybe still would decide for that one if I had to choose, cause it feels just perfect when you get it in hands and the thin stock suits such a small knife well in most scenarios.
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 pm

You read my mind :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 pm
I've seen a ton of requests for a Dragonfly XL.
......................................................................................

I was trying to push this many times ..... huge fan of the idea. A 2.75-3 inch Dragonfly would be the best edc folder ever created by humans IMO. I allways said that Sal was visited by gods when he designed the Dfly but to make it perfect it just needs to be stretched juuuust by 1/2 inch on both sides. Pleeease Sal make it happen :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:19 pm
The delica is definitely not a dragonfly XL. One has a 50/50 choil, and the other does not. Dragonfly XL would be more like a Chap or Native than a Delica.
Maybe you should go back and read the post about it being like a modified Delica again, I think you missed the "modified" bit.

Im in the camp with Evil D, just make the Dragonfly longer. That's the only reason I haven't purchased one yet.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

a dragonfly xl would be a manix 2 lw.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:04 am
That's WAY bigger than I have in mind, both in length and more importantly width when folded.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:52 am
ladybug93 wrote:
That's WAY bigger than I have in mind, both in length and more importantly width when folded.
Maybe that was meant as......as long awaited and successful as the Manix LW?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ladybug93 wrote:

Nope... not even close.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

mayong

Post by mayong »

Vivi wrote: I've seen a ton of requests for a Dragonfly XL.

Dragonfly plus "XL" is a Dragonfly minus the "Fly", which then is, simply, The Dragon!

FRN (dragon) scales forged in the depths of some mythical mountain or another. Just sayin'.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
Crux

Post by Crux »

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: