Ideas for "sprint runs", NOT concerning steel (let´s dream...)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Ideas for "sprint runs", NOT concerning steel (let´s dream...)

Post by Wartstein »

Phantasy knife-world:

Just imagine Spyderco could technically do any change you´d like to see in an existing knife-model and produce the result in a sprint run . So just for this thread: Let´s dream anything would be possible and not think about technical and economical reality. No limits, could be grind, stock, lock, blade shape, handle material, what ever comes to your minds, just NOT steel (as runs in different steels are done anyway).

But everything you do NOT specifically mention as to be changed stays exactly the same as in the existing model

To me immidiately quite a few ideas come to mind, I´d like to see for example:

- Backlock Shaman
- "Maximum edge length Delica" (so no Ricasso and extending the blade to the very end of the handle when the knife is closed)
- Centofante 3 in FFG instead of sabre / hollow grind
- Stretch 1 in 2mm bladestock
- "Stouter tip Military" (so design the tip like on the Endura or do less tapering in the blade)
- backlock Military
- Shaman with Micarta scales (not so much science fiction, as we´ll probably see that!! :) )
- FRN Kapara
- "No choil Native": That would be almost a very different knife honestly: I´d like the bladeshape of the Native 5, but no choil (so longer edge); reform the handle so that "guard" is at the very front of it and the handle would offer a full 4 finger grip. Overall dimensions, linerless FRN and so on would stay the same.

Any ideas or dreams? ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Re: Ideas for "sprint runs", NOT concerning steel (let´s dream...)

Post by Ric »

Para 3 flipper with a strong detent
Para 3 Tanto
Para 3 Damascus
Dragonfly Compression Lock (similar to Lil Native but lighter and not built as a tank)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 am
Para 3 flipper with a strong detent
Para 3 Tanto
Para 3 Damascus
Dragonfly Compression Lock (similar to Lil Native but lighter and not built as a tank)
Cool ideas!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 am

... and now they actually COULD do a compression lock in a kind of linerless FRN knife (like the DF) as the upcoming Para 3 LW shoes..
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Honestly I think it’s better to focus on what is available and appricate it for what it is.
I love messing with ideas and am doing some knife making later in the year-putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

I was at a museum a while back, looking at some bows they had on display- as a bow maker myself I find it fascinating being able to intellectually connect with a fellow bowyer long dead and seperated by more than 100 years- inspecting the bow I noted the way he left a swell of timber around that knot, the way he has cut back through a few growth rings to get to that thick ring- all choices I would have made given a similar stave to work.
The maker has done the best he knew how when making that bow and it served its owner well for a long time and while we now know laminating the timbers, adding reflex and backing it with fibreglass would have made the bow store more energy and require less maintenance it was still all the bow the owner ever needed.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hawkbill Lil Native
PE Hawkbill Dragonfly with G-10 scales
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

I’d really like to see an FRN Wharncliffe Chaparral.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

fixall wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:54 am
I’d really like to see an FRN Wharncliffe Chaparral.
Another very cool idea. That would suit that little slicing-beast well.
And obviously not hard to do, just the blade shape would have to be modified, everything else could stay as it is..
attila

Post by attila »

Really want:
2.5" CBBL Micro Manix
3" CBBL Mini Manix (CBBL Native?)
Linerless G-10 Manix 2
Linerless G-10 Dragonfly

Interesting idea I just had:
Compression lock Caly

EDIT: at least the 3" CBBL and linerless Manix 2 should be regular production as well as having sprint varieties.
Last edited by attila on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My first pick would be a revamped C-60 Ayoob model with a carbon fiber handle along with a supersteel blade. I would love to see one in either M390 or M-4.

For a fixed blade I would like to see the original TEMPERANCE 1 model in LC200N and have it available in SE & PE just like the original TEMP 1 was offered. For a utility knife I would like to see the CATCHERMAN in full Spyderedge again and probably LC200N would be my first choice on that one.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Just one for me.

Pakkawood Para3 in Hap40
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:00 am
Phantasy knife-world:

Just imagine Spyderco could technically do any change you´d like to see in an existing knife-model and produce the result in a sprint run . So just for this thread: Let´s dream anything would be possible and not think about technical and economical reality. No limits, could be grind, stock, lock, blade shape, handle material, what ever comes to your minds, just NOT steel (as runs in different steels are done anyway).

But everything you do NOT specifically mention as to be changed stays exactly the same as in the existing model

- Backlock Shaman
- "Maximum edge length Delica" (so no Ricasso and extending the blade to the very end of the handle when the knife is closed)
- "Stouter tip Military" (so design the tip like on the Endura or do less tapering in the blade)
- backlock Military
- Shaman with Micarta scales (not so much science fiction, as we´ll probably see that!! :) )
- FRN Kapara
- "No choil Native": That would be almost a very different knife honestly: I´d like the bladeshape of the Native 5, but no choil (so longer edge); reform the handle so that "guard" is at the very front of it and the handle would offer a full 4 finger grip. Overall dimensions, linerless FRN and so on would stay the same.

Any ideas or dreams? ;)
Yeah.. I tried but without concerning steel just can't fit it into a sprint run.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:00 am
Phantasy knife-world:

- Backlock Shaman
- backlock Military
- FRN Kapara

Any ideas or dreams? ;)
Yeah.. I tried but without concerning steel just can't fit it into a sprint run.
Maybe I should have put it that way: sure you can change steel also, but if you do, change at least one more detail other than steel. For the focus here is not about sprints in different steels (there are already many threads covering that)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydiechef with a 4 inch blade and without all the positive blade angle

Dragonfly with about a half inch added to the blade and another half inch to the butt of the handle to compensate

Kiwi 4 with rounded/contoured/polished scales

Vesuvius with updated compression lock and sized up to about 3.75 inches

I could do this all day honestly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:03 am
Spydiechef with a 4 inch blade and without all the positive blade angle

Dragonfly with about a half inch added to the blade and another half inch to the butt of the handle to compensate

Kiwi 4 with rounded/contoured/polished scales

Vesuvius with updated compression lock and sized up to about 3.75 inches

I could do this all day honestly.
That larger dragonfly is probably my favorite input in this thread so far - still in LINERLESS FRN for me!

/ don't have to do this all day ;), but if you'd like to share some more ideas I'd be really intetested.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I like your "maximum edge length" idea for the Delica. I wish the incoming Endura wharncliffe was like this.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

-Damaskus corkscrew clipitool with macacuba handle and no pocket clip.
-Stretch sized ukpk drop point.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am
I like your "maximum edge length" idea for the Delica. I wish the incoming Endura wharncliffe was like this.
Yeah, a "maximum edge length" Delica would feature almost the same cutting edge as the regular existing ENDURA in a much smaller package, with thinner bladestock and - for some- better ergos...

A "maximum edge length Endura Wharnie" would be nice too, right!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

1. Spydiechef change nothing other than blade length kick it up to 4 inches.

2. Spyderco Stretch return to original blade length, I like the blade shape and length on my Stretch2 in G10 with ZDP-189 steel it is different than the VG-10 version it is more of a compromise in blade length and shape between models.

2a. Keep all aspects of the Stretch 2 handles and 50 /50 choil.

2 b. Either DLC or stone-wash the clips.

2c. Offer more models in G-10 with more steel options CTS-XHP and Cruware, LC200N then this knife will leap off the shelves.

3. A slightly smaller Hundred pacer for polite less OMG what is that remarks EDC carry ( He, He, He, we already were told by Sal he did not say it... Pulled a Shultz on us :) (I am keeping an eye out)

The Hundred Pacer is a unique design it is almost all belly with just a very short length of straightness to the blade next to the heel..

This translates into a knife that Cuts, Chops and Slices beyond expectation.

One really has to use it to appreciate it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Kris with stag handles.
Kris with ivory (micarta) handles
Kris with jigged bone handles. Old school case peach seed jig
Kris in any variation as long as it's back in a sprint.
I think you see where I'm going with this

Spyderco brought back the Spyderhawk last year so I'm content with that.

Maybe a flash batch of the ever elusive not yet produced XL Persian. I love the look of the Persian it's just a little too small for my hand to be comfortable.

Original calypso with micarta handles.

Hossom knives with thinner convex edge and I know you mentioned no steel but 3V
Rock with micarta scales (3V)