Ideas for "sprint runs", NOT concerning steel (let´s dream...)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Ideas for "sprint runs", NOT concerning steel (let´s dream...)

Post by Sumdumguy »

Kapara, with everything the same except the handles. They need to be streched a bit to wrap around the liners. The locking tap could be larger, with more access and it would not pinch my hand when operating it with the hole.

Slysz Bowie, but larger(3.75") and an integral compression lock. I really liked this knife, but the handle was too small.

All of my sprints below would have white handles and do not all follow the rules explicitly. :)

Native 5 with no choil, as stated above.

Caly 3.5 as it is, but all metal parts made of LC200N

Baby Horn to match the Caly 3.5(this more than any)

Dodo 2 with Compression lock.

That's all I've got for now.

Edit: Kris..........
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I want a nice Taichung back lock. The only back lock for Taiwan that I can think of is the chaparral.
I’m thinking of a domino, lose the flipper, use a back lock. Add a bolster and polished g10.

Lil temperance 3 with thinner blade and a little more point to it. Would be like a choil-less para3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:43 am

Native 5 with no choil, as stated above.
Did not think that anyone would second that wish of mine.
I liked many things in my Native 5, but not that the overall length of the handle would principally offer enough space for a full four finger grip, but due to the choil and accordingly shaped handle does not, so I HAD to choke up. Furthermore, the bladelength would fit my needs for an EDC knife, but the choil does sacrifice too much edge.
I like choils in even smaller (Chap) and in bigger knives, not in the Native size. Just true for my personal needs and handsize of course, I can understand that for others the Native is perfect.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Not sure if these qualify as "sprint" ideas but...

PM2 skinny backlock. Similar to the Manix2 Backlock, but with thinner stock rather than thicker. Wire clip.

Manix2 LW Carbon Fiber, screwed construction.

3.5" Police4, K390.

FFG Rookie, K390.

Slysz Rat

Wood scaled Chaparral

Paakawood PM2

etc

etc
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am
I want a nice Taichung back lock. The only back lock for Taiwan that I can think of is the chaparral.
Just to get you right: You mean, you want more Taichung backlock knives, but you do not mean you feel the existing Taichung backlock is not nice enough, right?

For I think the Chap backlock alongside with the one of the Native 5 is the best I ever experienced
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:04 am
Not sure if these qualify as "sprint" ideas but...

PM2 skinny backlock. Similar to the Manix2 Backlock, but with thinner stock rather than thicker. Wire clip.

Wood scaled Chaparral
Great ideas. Count me in... ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Clip point Roadie 2mm blade stock with jigged bone handles (no bolsters)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:08 am
SF Native wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am
Just to get you right: You mean, you want more Taichung backlock knives, but you do not mean you feel the existing Taichung backlock is not nice enough, right?

For I think the Chap backlock alongside with the one of the Native 5 is the best I ever experienced
I like the chap. The blade is a little thin for my taste and wish the handle was a little bigger. We know Taichung can make a superb back lock. I just want more options.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:44 am
I like the chap. The blade is a little thin for my taste and wish the handle was a little bigger. We know Taichung can make a superb back lock. I just want more options.
Chap with a thicker blade and bigger handle would look a lot like a Native, wouldn't it?
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Dodo with DLC blade
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34 am
SF Native wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:44 am
Chap with a thicker blade and bigger handle would look a lot like a Native, wouldn't it?
Not to me. I have 2 problems with the native. The choil is too long, which loses cutting edge. A choil feels right on the para’s or the chap. The native doesn’t. Also, the butt end of the native tapers too much. It’s like there is too little to hold on to.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'd love for the Polestar to get the Para 3 LW treatment - the rounded scales, wire clip, BD1N, etc. It doesn't have to be a compression lock.
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

G10 sliverax? Give the rear of the handle just a bit more thickness but keep the forward part thin, emphasize the egg shape even more.

Buuuut since you did say "let's dream"....

An ikuchi smock dyad hybrid. So two blades, one serrated one plain. Ikuchi style fit into the handle. Smock style front flippers with jumping for the serrated and button compression locks.
"Seven for One"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

C95 Manix in a Grey or Brown G10 with DLC Cruwear or DLC 3V. I'd take a Gayle Bradley 1 in this combo as well.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Ocelot with Red G10 and DLC Cruwear
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Chap LW Salt
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This thread already is all I hoped for when I started it, thanks for sharing your intriguing ideas (and share some more... ;) )
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

1) Would love to see some variety in colours, but without the baggage and cost of sprint steels
Examples - the pink Native 5 and pink PM2's are otherwise bog standard, but the pop of colour adds some interest from plain old black

2) Lil' Native with 2.5mm stock

3) Native/Lil' Native with sheepsfoot/wharncliffe blades (similar to suggestion of same on Chaparral)

4) Smock that is available to purchase :p
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 pm
This thread already is all I hoped for when I started it, thanks for sharing your intriguing ideas (and share some more... ;) )
I hope sal has a big cup of coffee and note pad.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 pm
I hope sal has a big cup of coffee and note pad.
:p