New member...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

New member...

Post by soc_monki »

Just wanted to say hello! I have recently decided to enjoy knives and learning how to maintain them, starting with a cheap Milwaukee Fastback. It has served me well, and still does. Cheap and functional and easily replaced if lost or stolen. But I wanted more and one day bought a Kershaw Tone (with a Tanto blade) and still enjoy that knife.

Then came a Cryo 1 and 2, which I also enjoy very much. All are good knives, and cheap. I didn't think I needed to spend more than 30 bucks on a knife especially since they could become damaged, lost, stolen... Most likely people would steal my tools before my knives but you never know. In my trade people go on and on about Klein, but have very little clue about Knipex!

Anyway, I finally wanted something different and read that the spyderco tenacious was a great, affordable knife for edc. I looked into it, no assisted open like a Kershaw but I wanted to try it. Fell in love almost immediately! It has become my favorite and I use it a lot for everything.

Then I saw the Resilience. Had to have it! I carry it a lot now as well, love the size! I pull it out and peoples Jaws drop. But I still wanted more Spydies and started looking around. Thought about the Polestar and Alcyone, another Tenacious, an Efficient... Then I thought I should try something more upscale, but maybe not USA made yet. Well, last night I ordered a Manix 2 g10. I figured it's a little over 100 bucks, but not much more than a Japanese spydie, and certainly not so expensive that I would just lock it up and never use it.

So I am not so patiently awaiting my new Manix 2. I hope it doesn't spoil me away from 'value' knives because I love them too. I still would like a Polestar... Haha!

Sorry for the long read. Just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully I'll learn a lot more!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TomAiello

Re: New member...

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum!

If you're looking for great bang for your buck, check out some of the FRN lightweight models. Manix 2 LW, Native LW, (upcoming) Para 3 LW are all great values for what you get--plus they give you chance to check out the high end steels like s110v and Maxamet.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:23 am
Just wanted to say hello! I have recently decided to enjoy knives and learning how to maintain them, starting with a cheap Milwaukee Fastback. It has served me well, and still does. Cheap and functional and easily replaced if lost or stolen. But I wanted more and one day bought a Kershaw Tone (with a Tanto blade) and still enjoy that knife.

Then came a Cryo 1 and 2, which I also enjoy very much. All are good knives, and cheap. I didn't think I needed to spend more than 30 bucks on a knife especially since they could become damaged, lost, stolen... Most likely people would steal my tools before my knives but you never know. In my trade people go on and on about Klein, but have very little clue about Knipex!

Anyway, I finally wanted something different and read that the spyderco tenacious was a great, affordable knife for edc. I looked into it, no assisted open like a Kershaw but I wanted to try it. Fell in love almost immediately! It has become my favorite and I use it a lot for everything.

Then I saw the Resilience. Had to have it! I carry it a lot now as well, love the size! I pull it out and peoples Jaws drop. But I still wanted more Spydies and started looking around. Thought about the Polestar and Alcyone, another Tenacious, an Efficient... Then I thought I should try something more upscale, but maybe not USA made yet. Well, last night I ordered a Manix 2 g10. I figured it's a little over 100 bucks, but not much more than a Japanese spydie, and certainly not so expensive that I would just lock it up and never use it.

So I am not so patiently awaiting my new Manix 2. I hope it doesn't spoil me away from 'value' knives because I love them too. I still would like a Polestar... Haha!

Sorry for the long read. Just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully I'll learn a lot more!
First: Welcome to the forum! I too am still quite new here, it is a great place to be among lots of really kind and helpfull knifepeople.

/ The Manix you´re awaiting has one of the best ergos I ever experienced and is a great knife, quite "big" in the pocket though.
And for me it is quite different from the more "value" models (like your Tenacious and so on): Why?: For me it is the finger choil: I personally am still undecided on choils. Ergonomically they can be great (the choil on the manix definitely is), but take away a lot of actual edge.
Maybe you´d like to report back how you like your manix when you have it in hands. Though I am sure you WILL like it a lot.. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Tom, I did look a lot at the lightweight models, not quite sure how I would like the handle materials. I really like the feel of G10. Where I live there aren't really any Spyderco dealers close so it is hard for me to check things out before buying. One of these days I may take a leap of faith and buy one and see. I considered the Manix LW, but knowing I would like the G10 feel in hand it won out! I do like the Paras though...so that may be an option for another day!

Wartstein, the choil did (and does) make me a little nervous. I like the look of a full cutting edge (like my Tenacious or Resilience) but all of the features of the Manix, and the price, made me decide to go ahead and try it. Will I miss that bit of edge? Maybe? Or it may not make a difference. I may like it better. I won't know until I get to hold it in my hand and do some work with it. I'm an electrician, I use my knives to open boxes, cut rope, strip cables, and so far my Tenacious has done the job just fine. We will see if the Manix will be just as good, or if I decide to not use it as a work knife. It looks very comfortable though, and I really like the ball bearing lock mechanism. I've been partial to liner or frame locks but variety is always a plus!

I know this will not be my last Spyderco. Hopefully the wife won't be too upset with me! :D All my hobbies and toys are expensive! It's going to be so much worse when my son is old enough to get interested in more expensive things as well...but it will be so much fun to share it all with him!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum soc_monki!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Soc_monki,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Wartstein, the choil did (and does) make me a little nervous. I like the look of a full cutting edge (like my Tenacious or Resilience) but all of the features of the Manix, and the price, made me decide to go ahead and try it. Will I miss that bit of edge? Maybe? Or it may not make a difference. I may like it better. I won't know until I get to hold it in my hand and do some work with it. I'm an electrician, I use my knives to open boxes, cut rope, strip cables, and so far my Tenacious has done the job just fine. We will see if the Manix will be just as good, or if I decide to not use it as a work knife. It looks very comfortable though, and I really like the ball bearing lock mechanism. I've been partial to liner or frame locks but variety is always a plus!
Rest assured ( ;) ), if you have severeal knives (and not just one) I am 101 % sure that you´ll want definitely some that DO feature a choil!!

For some reason for quite a long time I was all about getting the longest possible edge in relation to the closed length of the knife I carried. That has really changed. These days I like choils in very small knives (so knives that would not offer a full comfortable four finger grip without a choil - for example the Chaparral) and in bigger knives, so the blade still offers at least let´s say 2,9 " while featuring a choil. The manix does so.

The knife that really finally made me a "choil-convert" however is the Shaman. Just perfect in ergos (and everything else for that matter), and would not be the same without a choil. If you ever have the chance to handle a Shaman just do so if you´re willing to buy one eventually ;) ... it´s so hard to put it away again.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am

Wartstein, the choil did (and does) make me a little nervous. I like the look of a full cutting edge (like my Tenacious or Resilience) but all of the features of the Manix, and the price, made me decide to go ahead and try it. Will I miss that bit of edge? Maybe? Or it may not make a difference. I may like it better. I won't know until I get to hold it in my hand and do some work with it. I'm an electrician, I use my knives to open boxes, cut rope, strip cables, and so far my Tenacious has done the job just fine.
Let me add: Just thought about it: For electrician work (stripping cables...) I guess a choil that places your hand close to the edge will be perfect! I´d definitely would want one for such tasks.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome soc_monki!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Welcome soc.. Now you done it m8, it's hard to stop once you start with spydercos.
Not the worst thing you could spend your Money on though. :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Welcome, I think you'll be quite pleased with the Manix 2 but unfortunately this is the beginning of it......

Hide your credit cards and paypal info.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:50 am

Let me add: Just thought about it: For electrician work (stripping cables...) I guess a choil that places your hand close to the edge will be perfect! I´d definitely would want one for such tasks.

I imagine it will help. Any time you can get more control and precision when stripping off a big cable jacket it's a plus! Some of those big cables have thick, tough jackets that can be tough and one slip and you can nick a wire, or yourself. Smaller cables are easier, and usually a smaller knife (like my cryo) is preferable. I also have a razor knife which can be a plus in certain situations. Always good to be prepared!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 am
Hi Soc_monki,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Thank you Sal! A pleasure to be here, thanks for all the great knives!
Mom3ntuM wrote: Welcome soc.. Now you done it m8, it's hard to stop once you start with spydercos.
Not the worst thing you could spend your Money on though. :)
Definitely! But I'm also into guitars and amps, cars, tools... The list goes on! Can never have too many hobbies!
Cscottsss wrote: Welcome, I think you'll be quite pleased with the Manix 2 but unfortunately this is the beginning of it......

Haha! It was over as soon as I got the tenacious. If the manix is as good as I think it will be, I'm going to be ruined! Already considering a PM2 for the next one... I think I need help! 😂
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:16 pm
Cscottsss wrote: Welcome, I think you'll be quite pleased with the Manix 2 but unfortunately this is the beginning of it......

Haha! It was over as soon as I got the tenacious. If the manix is as good as I think it will be, I'm going to be ruined! Already considering a PM2 for the next one... I think I need help! 😂

You'll find plenty of help here but maybe not the kind you have in mind. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm

You'll find plenty of help here but maybe not the kind you have in mind. :D
Looking at going in on a Para 3 Lightweight. Yep...I'm going broke... :D
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

And I pre-ordered a para 3 lw... Help! Anyone know when they'll be shipping? Haha!