Kid who is a knife nerd

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Kid who is a knife nerd

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 am
What would also be neat, I think, if people wanted to do it, is for everyone or a number of people on the forum to chip in and purchase a Spyderco knife gift for the boy. What do you think?
I like your enthusiasm there SEF but that depends on his mother. You don't just send an 11 year old a knife :D Lets get him on the forum first.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:09 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
What would also be neat, I think, if people wanted to do it, is for everyone or a number of people on the forum to chip in and purchase a Spyderco knife gift for the boy. What do you think?
I like your enthusiasm there SEF but that depends on his mother. You don't just send an 11 year old a knife :D Lets get him on the forum first.
100%

I for one would be more than happy to buy and send the young fellow a sensible knife or two, but as Z states we just can’t decide to send him knives without his parents approval. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

My son (10) really likes knives, you all have my aproval to send him knives,, my daughter to..
🤪
Ah, to be honest he regrettably don't care to much .. :)
Last edited by Mom3ntuM on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

A great idea SEF. :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I think that most kids who show interest in knives or a catalogue like Spyderco,
are looking at the knife designs and enjoying them,
just like any other art work they may be exposed to ...purely aesthetics.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:26 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:09 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
100%

I for one would be more than happy to buy and send the young fellow a sensible knife or two, but as Z states we just can’t decide to send him knives without his parents approval. :)
Yes, ofcourse, if his mom gives the go-ahead and says that is okay.
knifenerdmom

Post by knifenerdmom »

Hello! My name is Jeremy. I am the 11-year old son. Thank you so incredibly much for welcoming me on to the forum! I would like to clarify that I have actually been into knives for more than 4 years and starting to be more serious about Spyderco. I am finding that I absolutely love this company! As an answer to JacksonKnives' question, I am very much a collector. I do use knives as useful tools, but I am certainly the collector stereotype. I live in Denver and just went to the factory outlet last Saturday for the first time and LOVED it! I am absolutely loving my Sharpmaker that I bought there! I'm finding I'm getting sharp edges faster than I ever had with my wet stone. I would really like to meet the Spyderco family - Sal, Gail, and Eric. Thank you again for welcoming me! I will be opening my own account on the forum: JS_KnifeNerd. :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

This is knifenerdmom (Fran) now. Thank you all for the warm welcome and for being so kind to me and Jeremy! SEF and others, you are very generous to consider buying Jeremy a knife. While I would approve of him getting a knife, and I know that he would LOVE a Spyderco, please do not feel like you need to do that. Jeremy and I look forward to being on the forum.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Jeremy and Fran! Jeremy, your Mom was correct; you are very well-spoken. We look forward to you joining us and we hope you enjoy your time here. Fran, you're a great Mom!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Jeremy! Nice to have you here! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very cool thread. Welcome, Fran and Jeremy. I started really being fascinated with knives when I was 8 or 9. Got my first one at 9. Still love them. Cool hobby. Hope you stick around and talk about Spydies. Sal, Eric, Gail, Taz, Mr. Janich, Joyce, and everyone else at Spyderco are awesome. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to our forum.

Hope you enjoy your time here. Spyderco is a unique company with some interesting ideas. However, the folks that hang out here are really special knife afi's ( aficianados ), they are very knowledgeable and generous about sharing their knowledge.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum Jeremy (and Fran). Jeremy, I'm curious, what Spyderco models appeal to you?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm
Welcome to the Spyderco Forum Jeremy (and Fran). Jeremy, I'm curious, what Spyderco models appeal to you?
You took the words out of my mouth Pat. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcome to the forum Jeremy and Fran. Sounds like your already have good foundation in knife use Jeremy, knowing how to sharpen a knife is a great skill to have. Hope you enjoy your time here.

-Matt
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Welcome Jeremy and Fran. Glad to have you aboard.
Hope Jeremy is working on good knife skills by helping mom make dinner...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome Jeremy (and Mom.. ;) )

Looking forward to chatting with you when your account is opened and hope you´ll enjoy your time here!

When I was a kid I already liked knives too, but that was in the seventies and early eighties, very different times when it comes to folders.. furthermore, there was no internet (and yes, no Spyderco forum of course ;) ), so information hard to be found
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Ah, this thread is pretty heartwarming :D Welcome to you both!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:32 am
Screenshot_20190210_132956.jpg
That's a great "small Dolly". Are they available?

sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Jeremy started at age 7! Very cool! I think it was age 9 for me. But back then, I was happy having a Gerber and a Buck in 440/420! By age 10 I had switched from my DMT (not well known at the time) blue/coarse stone to black, which was extra coarse, as it yielded better rope cutting ability. I'm glad I didn't know about sharpeners like the sharpmaker, because my ignorance made me prefecture my freehand skills.

Memories. Welcome to the forum!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JS_KnifeNerd

Post by JS_KnifeNerd »

Hi, it's Jeremy on my new account.
I cannot say this enough but once again thank you so much for welcoming me on to the forum.
To answer Sharp Guy's question, as far a tool, I like the flat ground black handled Delica 4 as a more budget folder.
I REALLY like the Para 3. As far as a collector's piece, I like the Lil' Sub-Hilt and the Schempp Bowie.
I also like the Mantra 3. (These are all knives I DO NOT own.) Thanks for asking!