Sanding or reshaping FRN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Sanding or reshaping FRN?

Post by foofie »

Here's the background: The one thing I do to all of my Para3's is to sand down the choil just a bit - flattening it out so my index finger can sit a bit further back. When I do this, the Para3 becomes ergonomically perfect for me. This is easy with the g10, since the liners are not even close.

I am very excited for the Para3 LW. I just wanted to know of any experience sanding or reshaping FRN?
- Is there a certain grit to sand up to to match the rest of the chamfers?
- Will the scratches from the sand paper discolor the frn (I have seen pictures of black frn looking grayish, but not sure if only low grit was used).
- would a dremel melt the frn (happens with polypropylene handles)
- if I need to take off so much of the choil that I end up in the volcano grip portion, can I just sand this flat to recreate a chamfer? (I think the volcano grip are divots in the frn, so sanding it will likely make the scales much thinner there?)

Any info or experience appreciated. The closest thing I can think of is when people sand down the finger hump on the delica, but can't find many diy threads.
Jazz

Re: Sanding or reshaping FRN?

Post by Jazz »

Just sand like normal. I use a plastic brush on my Dremel to clean up any sandpaper color after I’m done. Works for me just fine. You can’t go too fast with any electric though. It can overheat and melt, if you’re not careful.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I used the medium stone on my endura and touched it up a tad with a fine. Looks factory.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
foofie

Post by foofie »

Thank you both. Good advice.
That was my one concern with the Para3 LW. Now, no concerns except for how long I will have to wait :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

I use 400 grit sandpaper to shape FRN and it works well. Comes close enough to matching the factory finish. It might look a bit gray as you're sanding, but after you rinse it in water it goes back to normal. I added an index choil to a Pacific Salt.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A little mineral oil or WD40 will bring the color back to normal, works great on G10 too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BrandonDyer

Post by BrandonDyer »

Will sander make the sanding any easier or it makes no sense getting one? I am planning to get one because it is supposed to make your job easier if I am to trust the reviews from this site. They paint a really good story about sanders and honestly it looks legit, they review the best sanders and people that really need one can have the use from the review. It would not be a terrible thing to get one even though you might not need it too much because they are cheap on Amazon now. Anyway, I am here to learn more info and I appreciate all the comments that help.
Last edited by BrandonDyer on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

BrandonDyer wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:14 am
Will sander make the sanding any easier or it makes no sense getting one?
A sander would probably melt the FRN at best, and take off too much material at worst. It's best to go slow and just shave off a little at a time by hand. That way, the FRN should remain intact and you can dial in the fit.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:59 am
A little mineral oil or WD40 will bring the color back to normal, works great on G10 too.
I've tried that with some success. But overall I've had much better results with Ballistol. Especially on G-10 handles it's just nothing short of a minor miracle.

But there are a billion uses for WD-40. But the luck and results I've had with Ballistol has been better than anything else I've ever used.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would think that something along the lines of a coarse "rat tail file" would probably be a good tool to try working with FRN. Depending on what part of the handle you're working on.

As far as abrasive paper i.e. Sandpaper I think something along the lines of "Sandblaster" brand of sandpaper made by the 3M Company is one that I've had decent luck using on a variety of materials.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

BrandonDyer wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:14 am
Will sander make the sanding any easier or it makes no sense getting one?
Welcome to the forum!

I've never tried sanding FRN with a powered sander, but I'd be worried about overheating if I did.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I use files to shape, sandpaper to finish.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I use medium stones and go slow, testing every so often. You can take more off but you can’t put more on. Also, I wear an N95 mask. I don’t want to breathe that glass fiber, ever.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:38 am
Evil D wrote:
I've tried that with some success. But overall I've had much better results with Ballistol. Especially on G-10 handles it's just nothing short of a minor miracle.

But there are a billion uses for WD-40. But the luck and results I've had with Ballistol has been better than anything else I've ever used.

I'll have to try it one of these days. I like to recommend common things that most people already have. Truth is you can rub some bacon grease on G10 and it'll get you the same effect :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:14 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:38 am
Evil D wrote:

I'll have to try it one of these days. I like to recommend common things that most people already have. Truth is you can rub some bacon grease on G10 and it'll get you the same effect :D
Yeah, but then I'd want to chew on it. :p :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050