Received my knife today – then took it apart to “fix” it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dutchman

Received my knife today – then took it apart to “fix” it.

Post by Dutchman »

Received my Shaman today, the design and scale of this knife appears to have been created for me personally.
I did find a few details to address - sharp edges all over and the rough release of the compression lock – which made the sharp edge of the c/l tab painful to push.
I started with the complete disassembly of the knife. The scales edges were softened with 600 grit emery cloth, the lock - where it contacts the blade surface - was polished with crocus cloth to remove the rough machined finish, then the surface of the thumb tab was slightly rounded and polished on a buffing wheel. For no good reason other then signing my name to the knife – I polished the spacer at the back of the knife. I’m real pleased with the results – there was nothing wrong with the knife that would have prevented it from functioning – I just hurried up the break in process.
I’m a retired Tool & Die Maker/Gunsmith so these “problems” are “opportunities” for me to use those skills.
Don't judge me by my shoes.
SG89

Re: Received my knife today – then took it apart to “fix” it.

Post by SG89 »

Nice!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Dutchman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:29 pm
Received my Shaman today, the design and scale of this knife appears to have been created for me personally.
I did find a few details to address - sharp edges all over and the rough release of the compression lock – which made the sharp edge of the c/l tab painful to push.
I started with the complete disassembly of the knife. The scales edges were softened with 600 grit emery cloth, the lock - where it contacts the blade surface - was polished with crocus cloth to remove the rough machined finish, then the surface of the thumb tab was slightly rounded and polished on a buffing wheel. For no good reason other then signing my name to the knife – I polished the spacer at the back of the knife. I’m real pleased with the results – there was nothing wrong with the knife that would have prevented it from functioning – I just hurried up the break in process.
I’m a retired Tool & Die Maker/Gunsmith so these “problems” are “opportunities” for me to use those skills.
Nicely done! I've been doing slight "mods" to some of my recent Spydercos. ....

James
vivi

Post by vivi »

looks great!
:unicorn
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Great job! I too also "customize" or refine nearly every knife I purchase. It doesn't take much work to make a knife much more comfortable in the hand and for the most part, it doesn't cost a thing.

As soon as the Shaman comes out in anything other than S30V I'm in for one!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Tuning and de-horning. Very nice.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The tab edge "sharpness" seems to be hit and miss, they rounded that edge off on the Sliverax and I really don't care for it and find that it makes pressing the tab in significantly more difficult. I even go so far as to put grip tape on mine to give it more traction.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:58 am
The tab edge "sharpness" seems to be hit and miss, they rounded that edge off on the Sliverax and I really don't care for it and find that it makes pressing the tab in significantly more difficult. I even go so far as to put grip tape on mine to give it more traction.
I also adjusted the tension of the tab.
Don't judge me by my shoes.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That looks very impressive, nice work!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Dutchman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:29 pm
Nice work Dutchie! :)

I’m a tool maker/machinist by trade and a closet gunsmith and it’s a bloody curse! Ah, hahaha!

I find fault in everything and feel compelled to “fix it”.

I find folders made to disassemble are easy to work on and require little time to have them reach there full potential. My Military’s for example are serviced before they get carried anywhere and go for great knives to exceptional knives with a little TLC.

I can’t comprehend receiving a knife that doesn’t feel quite right that’s rectified by adding “special” oil and opening and closing it eight thousand times till it “breaks in”.

To me “break In” with regard to a folder that doesn’t feel right is synonymous with “wear out”. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin