Help needed in steel choice: PM2 CruWear vs Rex 45 vs Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Username827

Re: Help needed in steel choice: PM2 CruWear vs Rex 45 vs Maxamet

Post by Username827 »

I don't have Rex45 or Maxamet. Missed both boats on those. However I was able to pick up the Knifecenter Cruwear with the smooth G10. Since I got it, it has become my main EDC. Honestly thinking of moving a bunch of other models just because they don't get enough time in the rotation. Never have had a problem with it slipping out of my hand due to lack of traction, but I usually have my fingers locked in the coil with my thumb on the the ramp.
No such thing as a bad PM2 though. Enjoy your choice!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

emanuel wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:37 pm

Another thing I forgot to ask, how is Rex 45 handling lateral edge stresses? Like when carving wood? Any issues? I know Cruwear is stupidly strong in that regard, similar to how 52100 performs, so no issues there.
FWIW... //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1256736
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mine has handled wood carving tasks just fine so far. Yesterday I was using my Rex Military to carve and whittle on a piece of seasoned Osage Orange wood, which is much harder and denser than oak. No chips or rolling or any other type of edge damage.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Shooter4321

Post by Shooter4321 »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:52 pm
Shooter4321 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:51 am
I’m getting much better wear resistance with Rex45 then I am with M4.
Which M4? Spyderco CPM M4?

I haven't spend enough time with Rex45, but if it's substantially better than my M4 Spyderco's I should definitely make the time to get it into my pocket more often.
Yeah I have a Para 2 in M4, and a military in Rex45..
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I own all 3 steels and REX45 has my vote.
ScottyWho

Post by ScottyWho »

I've been led to believe that the Para 3 in Maxamet will be produced again. Can anyone confirm?

My Para 3 in 52100 is amazing. No complaints. Very curious about these other exotics.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ScottyWho wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:24 am
I've been led to believe that the Para 3 in Maxamet will be produced again. Can anyone confirm?

My Para 3 in 52100 is amazing. No complaints. Very curious about these other exotics.
Welcome to the forum ScottyWho.

Yes, both the Para 3 and the Paramilitary 2 in Maxamet will be in production again. Check out the Spyderco 2019 catalog.

Precisely when they'll be released is anyone's guess, but I would bet before the middle of the year.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I've decided. I'm getting the Cruwear, Rex seems to be very similar to Maxamet, which I will be getting later anyway, once it will be available again from Spyderco this year. Thanks guys!
blues

Post by blues »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:52 am
I've decided. I'm getting the Cruwear, Rex seems to be very similar to Maxamet, which I will be getting later anyway, once it will be available again from Spyderco this year. Thanks guys!
REX 45 is significantly tougher than the Maxamet but will not hold an edge as long. Neither is particularly corrosion resistant.

Cru-Wear would be the most balanced of the three.

There are always trade-offs but Cru-Wear checks most of the boxes from corrosion resistance to toughness to edge holding and ease of sharpening quite nicely.
- Retired from the chase -
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

emanuel wrote:
Cruwear is great stuff. You'll love it.
Is it the old grey sprint run or the newer black KnifeCenter exclusive? I really like those smooth scales on the KC exclusive.

The only thing REX45 has in common with Maxamet is the higher hardness though. Other than that it is nothing like it. Maxamet is packed with carbides while REX45 is a relative low carbide steel (3% vanadium + some tungsten). Big difference in toughness. And i think the only reason why cruwear is a little easier to sharpen is due to it's lower hardness. REX45 has a less carbides than cruwear in the steel.

REX45 was a sprint run, so no re-runs of that. It's the most rare of the 3 and may stay that way. Unknown if Spyderco will use it again.
Cruwear had a sprint + exclusive run, so more common.
Maxamet you can always buy later.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Rutger wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:04 pm
emanuel wrote:
Cruwear is great stuff. You'll love it.
Is it the old grey sprint run or the newer black KnifeCenter exclusive? I really like those smooth scales on the KC exclusive.

The only thing REX45 has in common with Maxamet is the higher hardness though. Other than that it is nothing like it. Maxamet is packed with carbides while REX45 is a relative low carbide steel (3% vanadium + some tungsten). Big difference in toughness. And i think the only reason why cruwear is a little easier to sharpen is due to it's lower hardness. REX45 has a less carbides than cruwear in the steel.

REX45 was a sprint run, so no re-runs of that. It's the most rare of the 3 and may stay that way. Unknown if Spyderco will use it again.
Cruwear had a sprint + exclusive run, so more common.
Maxamet you can always buy later.
How is Rex45 not a buffet of carbides? And leftover elements.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I would choose Rex45 unless you plan to hammer the blade into something
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm
Larrin did the calculations.
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/11/19/ ... retention/
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/11/26/ ... etention2/

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Rutger wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:56 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm
Larrin did the calculations.
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/11/19/ ... retention/
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/11/26/ ... etention2/

Can you explain what I'm looking at?

If the elements don't either remain in the matrix or form carbides like I said, does some reaction make them disappear?

REX 45 starts out with a lot of different elements. I stated that they either form carbides or remain in the matrix. If this isn't true, where do they go?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ferider

Post by ferider »

I also don't understand. In these tables, for Rex 45, molybdenum carbides are similar to Rex M4 and Rex 45 cobalt carbides are missing ?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Maxamet will last longer than rex45, and much longer than cruwear in both coarse and fine edge holding.
ferider wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:18 pm
I also don't understand. In these tables, for Rex 45, molybdenum carbides are similar to Rex M4 and Rex 45 cobalt carbides are missing ?
Cobalt is not a carbide former.
ScottyWho

Post by ScottyWho »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 am
ScottyWho wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:24 am

Welcome to the forum ScottyWho.

Yes, both the Para 3 and the Paramilitary 2 in Maxamet will be in production again. Check out the Spyderco 2019 catalog.

Precisely when they'll be released is anyone's guess, but I would bet before the middle of the year.
Thanks meat man. lol.
ScottyWho

Post by ScottyWho »

To clarify on why I really like the Para3 in 52100. The patina gives it character in my opinion, this may be a downside for some but the way that the spydie hole develops discoloration with use is very cool. Traditional if you will. My M4 Gayle Bradley hasn't taken much of a patina yet. The orange peel carbon fiber handle is grippy and fits perfectly in my hand. 52100 is very tough and despite carving some relatively hard woods I haven't had any problems with rolling. Outside of the bushcrafting community, most people aren't familiar with 52100 but I'm very pleased with it and I think anyone interested in cruwear/carbon steels should definitely check it out. A folder in 52100 is pretty rare.
ferider

Post by ferider »

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 pm
Maxamet will last longer than rex45, and much longer than cruwear in both coarse and fine edge holding.
ferider wrote:
I'm not a steel chemist in any way, and maybe an expert can chime in, but it appears that Cobalt is a carbide former for HSS, optimized for hot hardness as Rex 45, and in conjunction with Tungsten. Note that WC is missing in Larrin's Rex 45 table entry, too. As a reference, for example, use http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pages/ ... inder.html.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

ferider wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:19 am
jpm2 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 pm
ferider wrote:
I'm not a steel chemist in any way, and maybe an expert can chime in, but it appears that Cobalt is a carbide former for HSS, optimized for hot hardness as Rex 45, and in conjunction with Tungsten. Note that WC is missing in Larrin's Rex 45 table entry, too. As a reference, for example, use http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pages/ ... inder.html.
Cobalt does not form carbides. It does help with (hot) hardness. It's also why Spyderco can get the steel so hard. And the tungsten carbides are under M6C. So percentage wise REX45 has less carbides than Cruwear. All pretty technical this, but just to show it's not the same as Maxamet.

"M6C refers to high speed steel carbides where the M can be Mo, W, etc. MC is generally vanadium carbides (VC) though the M can also refer to Nb, Fe, etc."