Your responses to someone who claims "The hump on Spyderco knives gets in the way of proper use"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Your responses to someone who claims "The hump on Spyderco knives gets in the way of proper use"?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Then here is my question: Could Spyderco produce a knife that has a 4 inch blade with no recurve, and a backlock, perhaps with some form of unique tip and blade, in both serrated edge and plain edge, which still retains a practical opening hole but with no hump, and which does not end up being too stilletto like?
RamZar

Re: Your responses to someone who claims "The hump on Spyderco knives gets in the way of proper use"?

Post by RamZar »

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Goddard knives are pretty nice. Manix 2 series doesn't have much of a hump. Native series doesn't either.

If you hammer grip it, the hump doesn't get in the way. If you rest your thumb on the back of the blade, it doesn't get in the way.

I would bet that he hasn't used a Spyderco long enough to know that it doesn't really get in your way.

The first Spyderco I bought was a Goddard Jr, because I wasn't a fan of the hump. It's almost hump day right now. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:21 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:47 pm
If they dislike the spine hump, they can select a knife without one. I see no problem here.
I like folding knives with no hump, at least a 4" blade with no recurve, and backlock or CBBL.

Which Spyderco do you suggest?
Why does it have to be Spyderco? There are fine knives from other companies to meet your requirements.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There was one Spyderco with a very high Hump Factor (12 on a scale of 1 to 10). :D

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=840
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

SEF, I think the upcoming Native Chief will nail my description. But in the current offerings nothing does that I'm aware of. Thankfully the Millie and Police have the thumb ramp extended forward enough that it interferes with my grip less, but it's still in the way when I choke up in the choil.

Holding those knives with my index finger in the choil and my thumb on the thumb ramp is painful for my hand, and I don't know how folks EDC designs that only offer that sort of grip when using a sabre grip.
Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:21 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:47 pm
If they dislike the spine hump, they can select a knife without one. I see no problem here.
I like folding knives with no hump, at least a 4" blade with no recurve, and backlock or CBBL.

Which Spyderco do you suggest?
Why does it have to be Spyderco? There are fine knives from other companies to meet your requirements.
It doesn't have to be, but I'd like it to be. I prefer Spydercos opening hole to any other opening method for a folding knife, and their clips tend to work the best, nice steels, etc.

The upcoming Native Chief is on my radar for this reason if nothing else. I'm 100% happy with my Police and Pacific Salts as EDC folders otherwise. I think the Native Chief may end up being my new favorite. We'll see.

I like the Cold Steel Large Voyagers for their flat thumb ramp area. Very stout but lightweight knife for the $50 I paid.
:unicorn
ferider

Post by ferider »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 pm
Then here is my question: Could Spyderco produce a knife that has a 4 inch blade with no recurve, and a backlock, perhaps with some form of unique tip and blade, in both serrated edge and plain edge, which still retains a practical opening hole but with no hump, and which does not end up being too stilletto like?
yes they can. It's called "Chinook 1" :)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:32 am
How would you all reply to a person who told me the hump with the Opening Hole in the blade of most Spyderco knives is unappealing because it gets in the way of use, and the person claims knives, especially folders, should have straight backs, with no humps? My response was that the Opening Hole is very useful and the hump in no way gets in the way of cutting chores and in some circumstances is very helpful.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, ofcourse, but, how would you all reply to that person who said this to me?
It is somewhat unappealing, I'll give you that, but the blade design is a different way to open a knife. It took me some time to come around to the way that most Spyderco knives look after having so many conventional knives. It's sort of like looking at a home designed by Johnston or Wright after having 1000yrs of plain old homes. I still stay away from anything too outlandish, not just from Spyderco, but anyone manufacturing knives.

I would not for instance buy a knife with gears on it from Hinderer.

I have a few Cold Steel knives, but stay away from knives with outlandish folder handles.

Nonetheless, there are probably over 100 Spyderco knives available at any one time, and at least 10 Spyderco's that I want. There is a little something for everyone.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Kllrbee

Post by Kllrbee »

My response would be very simple and matter of fact. Something like "No it doesnt...here...try it out". Done.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The word "proper use" in the question bugs me. The claim is being made with some kind of twist right from the start. Who says what "proper use" is, or that there even is such a thing? So apart from taking the wisest course and just ignoring this statement, the first thing to do is to clarify what this proper use thing is all about. If the person was honest, they would restate the claim as "the hump gets in the way of how I want to use this knife", and then the question would arise of what Spyderco knife, if any they tried to use. Odds are they just don't like the look of the hump and have never actually tried to use a Spyderco.

In my case, "use" of the knife involves opening it, and nothing works better than the Spyderco hole for this. And I have never found the hump ever got in the way of anything I wanted to do with one of my knives once I had it open. I can say a lot of bad things about studs on the other hand.

But if the person simply said, "I don't like the way Spyderco knives look, and looks matter more to me than any other aspect of a knife", then nobody could argue with that. You could then encourage them to try using them. But the claim that the hump interferes with use, is I think flatly dishonest.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:30 am
But the claim that the hump interferes with use, is I think flatly dishonest.
Maybe someone has a different hand size than you that gives them a different experience ;)

In fact I used a dremel to take the hump off my Ark because it got in the way so much. Didn't need an opening hole on that one anyways :D

I may buy another one of these in SE and do the same mod while keeping the original blade shape.
:unicorn
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Native range provide an excellent choice for someone who has the hump with the hump.

Want something bigger?- Howabout the Chinook 4 which is nearly a classic skinner profile.

Likewise, the Manix 2 barely has a hump- more a ramp.

There's always a few unhumped and more-than-a-few less humpy Spydies in the range.....
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am a commissioned salesperson. I am not compensated by spyderco. They want to be wrong about the hump, I let them be wrong. Folks I care about, I gift one to.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I would say that due to ergonomics, the task at hand, and simple preferences in types of cuts that I have never had and any issues
with any cutting tasks due to the hump that I have come across. The hump has saved me for harm in some manner many times and I have never found it a hindrance in any way. Indeed, it is more useful than not for me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka