February EDC Challenge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: February EDC Challenge

Post by The Meat man »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:54 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 pm

:D

Broken-Plate.jpg
I was expecting a cleaner cut through that plate. Maybe it was all the cardboard that dulled it.

Yeah it didn't cut nearly as smoothly as when freshly sharpened:

aid3013458-v4-728px-Create-a-Garden-Border-with-Broken-Plate-Pieces-Step-5.jpg
I like to be able to push cut ceramic plates with my edges. :p :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:54 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:38 pm
it's bad enough smashing your edge Connor but hows the plate? :p

:D

Broken-Plate.jpg
I was expecting a cleaner cut through that plate. Maybe it was all the cardboard that dulled it.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Hey I failed the challenge FYI
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hmm. Things are not going well.

Today I was trying to cut open a wrapped pallet of stainless steel parts, and ended up accidentally sawing my knife edge against the steel. :eek:

Now about two-thirds of the entire edge is dulled to the point where it can't even cut copier paper.

My knives don't have to be hair splitting sharp for me to use, but this is a bit much, so I think the sharpening part of the challenge, at least, is over for me. Lol.

I will continue to exclusively carry and use this REX 45 Military though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 pm
Hmm. Things are not going well.

Today I was trying to cut open a wrapped pallet of stainless steel parts, and ended up accidentally sawing my knife edge against the steel. :eek:

Now about two-thirds of the entire edge is dulled to the point where it can't even cut copier paper.

My knives don't have to be hair splitting sharp for me to use, but this is a bit much, so I think the sharpening part of the challenge, at least, is over for me. Lol.

I will continue to exclusively carry and use this REX 45 Military though.
Bummer.
And I thought the plates were hard on an edge. Still going strong on my end. Cut a ton of cardboard the other day. Need to clean the tape goo off. That’s the worst for me so far. Used in the kitchen a bunch too. Rex 45 is pretty good stuff.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Okay, back in the game.

After damaging the edge to the point where it couldn't cut cardboard without bunching up, snagging, and tearing, I reluctantly took my REX 45 Military to the sharpening bench for some edge doctoring:

The REX 45 sharpened back up very quickly. Using the 240 grit Venev diamond stone, I had it back up to shaving sharp in about 10 minutes. (Of course that stone makes pretty short work of just about any steel.) This time I decided to put a finer finish on it, going up to the 400, then 800 grit stone. After that and a few passes on my diamond leather strop (point 5 micron I think) it was extremely sharp, and would catch and bite into hair on contact.

I'm very pleased with the edge I obtained and if I can avoid doing stupid things like trying to cut through steel, I'm confident it will last long after the month is over.

Another photo of the finished edge.

- Connor

SF Native

Post by SF Native »

February is almost up. Still just using my rex45 para 3. This steel is really impressing me. Still has a nice working edge. Sure it could use a little touch up, but still serviceable.

Any ideas for March? Thinking “back of the drawer March”. Only use the rarely used in the collection. Or BIG march with only the biggest models in the collection.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I only used 2, does that count? :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SF Native wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:47 pm
February is almost up. Still just using my rex45 para 3. This steel is really impressing me. Still has a nice working edge. Sure it could use a little touch up, but still serviceable.

I'm impressed to. I've been putting my REX 45 Military through some rigorous testing throughout the month in addition to regular use and it has held up really well.
- Connor