Just one problem with wire clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Just one problem with wire clips

Post by zhyla »

Put my Chap LW in my pocket this morning and found it missing while I was driving to work. Tried to find it all night. Finally made a 2nd pass outdoors, turns out it snagged on some netting around my guava tree this morning while I was picking guavas and hung out there all day. Phew! Thought I lost that one.

Sharp Guy

Re: Just one problem with wire clips

Post by Sharp Guy »

Glad you found it.

I haven't had one try to abandon me yet but I've had a few near misses.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

The clip on the Chaparral LW has been problematic for me. I work in a restaurant and there are a lot of stainless steel tables, corners, edges, surfaces etc. that a pocket clip can get caught on in the tight work areas. So one day the wire clip of my Chaparral got caught on something and actually tore up the FRN to the point where I can't mount the clip back on; but it's okay, I carry it clipless just fine because it's so thin.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Glad you found it! That Chap really wanted some guava lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 pm
The clip on the Chaparral LW has been problematic for me. I work in a restaurant and there are a lot of stainless steel tables, corners, edges, surfaces etc. that a pocket clip can get caught on in the tight work areas. So one day the wire clip of my Chaparral got caught on something and actually tore up the FRN to the point where I can't mount the clip back on; but it's okay, I carry it clipless just fine because it's so thin.
I don’t consider the wire clip to be super practical. It looks and feels nice. But I would never take one into an adventurous setting. They just don’t hang onto the pocket very tightly. Maybe with G-10 they do.

But that’s fine, this isn’t supposed to be a rough and tumble knife.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Try IWB, keeps the clip out of the way. Makes it much more difficult for it to catch on things.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I had this happen about 3 times with military's and byrds. They got caught on the small individual fibers that make up the large rope I dealt with on the dredge. Each time, I got lucky and found the blade. I ended up switching to back pocket carry and modifying the byrd clip by shortening it so it wouldn't snag. This is not exclusive to wire clips.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Like Pelagic already said this isn't exclusive to wire clips. I've had some similar experiences with Spydercos and other brands as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've snagged hourglass clips but never a wire clip. Seems this could happen to any clip that has a lip at the end of it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have had seatbelts pick knives from my pocket. They were all hourglass clips.

In an adventurous setting I would unclip the knife and drop it into my pocket. That is were Buck and the classic belt sheath win. That method is quite secure. I have thought about getting a belt sheath for a Spyderco for hunting and fishing. I often worry about losing a knife in the water.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

When I worked in a restaurant I carried IWB at 1 o’clock. Secure, never dropped or caught it on anything. I still carry it there if I’m cycling and don’t have back pockets, or if I’m swimming. I have had objects lift the knife out of my pocket at work, usually while squeezing around equipment.

zhyla wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:08 pm
Put my Chap LW in my pocket this morning and found it missing while I was driving to work. Tried to find it all night. Finally made a 2nd pass outdoors, turns out it snagged on some netting around my guava tree this morning while I was picking guavas and hung out there all day. Phew! Thought I lost that one.

Hah, I thought that was a spider web and was quite surprised! The knife clearly wanted to go home!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kinda off topic somewhat but I've been carrying my Autonomy now for over a year, and my general opinion of wire clips has been that they're best reserved for lighter weight knives and keep heavier knives with hourglass clips. I still believe that's a good idea but I haven't had any issues with my Autonomy coming out of my pocket or snagging anything, and I have a fairly physical job that requires a good bit of rolling around on the ground so I've given it every opportunity to slip out. I think part of it is due to the nice grippy texture of the G10, and on that note I also haven't had any issues with the G10 shredding my pockets so it seems like a good balance of grip pressure.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sounds like a clip problem, not a wire clip problem.

Glad you found your knife!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I have a couch in one room of our house that has the uncanny ability to snag the Spyderco wire clip. I don't even know how it does it, but I can walk through the room and not come near the couch, but will later find the knife hanging from it!

I got tired of avoiding that room and put an RGT wire replacement clip on my Kapara.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I bought an OG Endura around 1992. The integral clip snagged on my cars seat and seatbelts til it snapped off. I bought a second Endura which ended in the same result.
It took me 22 years before I got another Endura. Glade for the metal clip now.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:44 am
I've snagged hourglass clips but never a wire clip. Seems this could happen to any clip that has a lip at the end of it.
Yeah, I hated the previous gen Native clips because they were so square and caught on everything for some reason. I don't think the wire clips are really more likely to catch on things, but the amount of force required to lift them out of the pocket is very low. There just isn't enough friction to keep them in place.
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:32 am
my general opinion of wire clips has been that they're best reserved for lighter weight knives and keep heavier knives with hourglass clips.
Yeah, and as you say the handle texture matters too.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I find deep carry clips in general seem to catch on things more, not sure why but I’ve only had that happen to me with deep carry? I guess it’s because they tend to have quite a bit less tension. I like deep carry on some knives but for me retention and comfort are more important factors. I also value strong clip retention over my pockets. I wear my jeans out as fast as my knife wears out the pocket so no issues with pocket shredders here!
As far as wire clips are concerned, I’m not a fan. They dig into my hand sometimes to the point of not being able to use a knife, this is the case with my Techno. I switched the Mantra clip with the shorter one from my Dragonfly and it helps a little but still a hot spot. On my Caly 3.5 it’s noticeable, not too bad as far as digging in but it moves around a lot.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 am
I find deep carry clips in general seem to catch on things more, not sure why but I’ve only had that happen to me with deep carry? I guess it’s because they tend to have quite a bit less tension. I like deep carry on some knives but for me retention and comfort are more important factors. I also value strong clip retention over my pockets. I wear my jeans out as fast as my knife wears out the pocket so no issues with pocket shredders here!
As far as wire clips are concerned, I’m not a fan. They dig into my hand sometimes to the point of not being able to use a knife, this is the case with my Techno. I switched the Mantra clip with the shorter one from my Dragonfly and it helps a little but still a hot spot. On my Caly 3.5 it’s noticeable, not too bad as far as digging in but it moves around a lot.
I also have this problem with my deep carry knives.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Glad you were able to find it. I don't seem to have this problem with my wire clips, but my clip on my 4Sevens Preon catchs on every jacket I own with an internal elastic drawstring. I have also snagged it on the guest bath shower curtain one time while bathing my daughter. Losing your daily carried items can make you feel naked.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I am 99% sure that this is how I lost my Pacific salt. I had it clipped in my back pocket and I think it caught on a tear in the work truck seat, looked for days backtracking my steps and I never found it. Totally lame because that was my first Spyderco.

I got a little OCD about losing knives after that. So I purchased a thing called a Gear Keeper on Amazon. This can be a lifesaver in situations where it’s risky to clip your Spyderco to your pocket. Or should I say knife saver? (Sorry I couldn’t resist th bad joke)
Attachments
383CE96F-2584-4DE6-86D1-9AA5DCDEBFA1.png
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”