Just one problem with wire clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Forest Elk

Re: Just one problem with wire clips

Post by Forest Elk »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 am
I find deep carry clips in general seem to catch on things more, not sure why but I’ve only had that happen to me with deep carry? I guess it’s because they tend to have quite a bit less tension. I like deep carry on some knives but for me retention and comfort are more important factors. I also value strong clip retention over my pockets. I wear my jeans out as fast as my knife wears out the pocket so no issues with pocket shredders here!
As far as wire clips are concerned, I’m not a fan. They dig into my hand sometimes to the point of not being able to use a knife, this is the case with my Techno. I switched the Mantra clip with the shorter one from my Dragonfly and it helps a little but still a hot spot. On my Caly 3.5 it’s noticeable, not too bad as far as digging in but it moves around a lot.
This is why I decided to modify my UKPK: I ordered a replacement clip for the Dragonfly 2. It is shorter and stronger than the longer ones and therefore has no side to side play. Also the retention is noticeably better. IMHO it looks better too...

"Never leave home without a knife!" :spyder:

My Spydies: Native CPM440V, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4 FFG, Endura4-ZDP, Endura4, UKPK-G10, UKPK-CF, Salt1, PM 2, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly Salt, Dragonfly-ZDP, Dragonfly Nishijin, Squeak, Lil' Native CompLock, Dragonfly-G10
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Forest Elk wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:12 am
spyderg wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 am
I find deep carry clips in general seem to catch on things more, not sure why but I’ve only had that happen to me with deep carry? I guess it’s because they tend to have quite a bit less tension. I like deep carry on some knives but for me retention and comfort are more important factors. I also value strong clip retention over my pockets. I wear my jeans out as fast as my knife wears out the pocket so no issues with pocket shredders here!
As far as wire clips are concerned, I’m not a fan. They dig into my hand sometimes to the point of not being able to use a knife, this is the case with my Techno. I switched the Mantra clip with the shorter one from my Dragonfly and it helps a little but still a hot spot. On my Caly 3.5 it’s noticeable, not too bad as far as digging in but it moves around a lot.
This is why I decided to modify my UKPK: I ordered a replacement clip for the Dragonfly 2. It is shorter and stronger than the longer ones and therefore has no side to side play. Also the retention is noticeably better. IMHO it looks better too...

Smart!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

yep, was staying for a few days with friends. One night was emptying pockets and realized my Manix Maxamet was gone. Next morning headed straight for their Chevy Sierra truck where I was riding shotgun the day before. Sure enough, my Manix was laying in the door pocket. Only thing I can figure is that the seat belt had flipped it out of my pocket by hanging up on the wire clip. Whew, had spent the day before riding through the hills and had been in and out of the truck several times. Could have been long gone.
Gunnersloth

Post by Gunnersloth »

I love the wire clip, due to the conseal ability of it and it's lack of billboarding besides to those in the know.
The only problem with it would be the retention of it, I lost a Roc Cleaver in a dressing room once and I've always beat myself up about it.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I suspect these issues are not unique to wire clips. Although metal clips may have somewhat stronger tension I think all clips are subject to being caught and snagged on various things like seatbelts. With lightweight knives regardless of the clip I tend to carry them in my rear pocket clipped, or just dropped into my right front pocket without clipping it.

The only issues I’ve had with wire clips was on the dragonfly and I suspect the indents where the clip fits into the FRN are not quite deep enough to keep it from very occasionally twisting loose. Have to check it frequently.

I am glad that spyderco elected to furnish the Para 3 light weight with a wire clip. I think it fits the design and will work very well.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

How will this effect the upcoming Spyderco Caly 3.5 FRN with Wire Clip?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Never mind wire clips, look out for lanyards (or more accurately fobs). I lost a knife hiking, and I'll never know for sure, but I bet money the short fob/lanyard snagged on some brush and pulled it out of my pocket. I thought I was being clever and using some bright colored para cord tied in about a 3 inch long loop -- so there would be something to catch my eye if I left it laying around camp, but the scheme backfired on me.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 pm
How will this effect the upcoming Spyderco Caly 3.5 FRN with Wire Clip?

It will always be an issue with any spyderco clip (most other companies as well) unless you modify your clip like this, or carry your knife in a pocket where your clip is very unlikely to get snagged on something.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?