Good Bye Stretch!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

Re: Good Bye Stretch!

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:56 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:05 pm
I know it looks different from the old Stretch. Is it the optics or the ergonomics that turn you off?
Hey Bill, I don’t like the ergos of the larger, deeper scales nor the shorter deeper blade.

The Stretch 1 it seems was a bit of an ugly duckling to most yet I really like everything about it. This new Stretch is bigger with less blade and from where I’m standing it’s just a bloody mess. :eek:
Ha it is a bit of an ugly duckling but I still like it too ;)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I think the main question no one has asked you Bloke is have you stopped looking at the knife and actually used it? I reacted the same way to the Endura 4 and shelved it to use as a test knife for acid washes and tumbling for a stone wash education, it was hate at first sight so I know this can be hard to overcome and even attempt to use :)

The Stretch 2 was the first Stretch I ever handled and since then have ordered a few more as well as some Stretch1's. Carrying a Stretch 2 today in VG-10 as a matter of fact.

The Stretch 1 does have a longer blade which I prefer, not sure why the blade got shortened but I do prefer the more secure 50/50 Choil and the handle size better. The Stretch2 with brown G10 in ZDP189 steel is longer almost the same length as a Stretch1

If I had my way the Stretch 1 handle and 50/50 Choil would be like the Stretch2 but the rest of the blade could have been left alone.

The Stretch2 does have a more solid lock up compared to the Stretch 1 I own, currently have two more Stretch1's coming in should be today, will be interesting to see how those 2 in VG-10 compare.

Hmm I wonder if I can put a stretch 1 blade in a Stretch 2 handle? Probably not. As I recall the blade stock is thinner on the Stretch1
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:27 am
Bloke wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:05 pm
I know it looks different from the old Stretch. Is it the optics or the ergonomics that turn you off?
Hey Bill, I don’t like the ergos of the larger, deeper scales nor the shorter deeper blade.

The Stretch 1 it seems was a bit of an ugly duckling to most yet I really like everything about it. This new Stretch is bigger with less blade and from where I’m standing it’s just a bloody mess. :eek:

Can't blame you, Bloke. I understand what caused Sal to feel it was necessary to "tweak" the Stretch design to allow it to fit larger hands and to make the 50/50 deeper and more secure. I even carry a customized Stretch 2 occasionally. But, to be honest, I still strongly prefer the older ones.
Hey Paul, glad you chimed in. :cool:

I know the Stretch is a bit of a favourite of yours and I've always been envious of your bolstered customs. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:46 am
I think the main question no one has asked you Bloke is have you stopped looking at the knife and actually used it? I reacted the same way to the Endura 4 and shelved it to use as a test knife for acid washes and tumbling for a stone wash education, it was hate at first sight so I know this can be hard to overcome and even attempt to use :)
Hey Does, no, I haven't used it mate. I'm a little set in my ways and won't come about. The good news is I'll package it up today and have it in the mail tomorrow for its journey to it's new owner. It's a bit of a shame because I waited so long for it and I was keen to try Vtoku2 on one of my favourite knives. Doesn't matter, doesn't matter ... :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 am
Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:31 pm
Bloke wrote:

The Stretch 1 is probably my favorite folder of all times and I like it ever so slightly over the Stretch 2 too (hence my thread //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=82369 ).
Consequently I own three Stretch 1 and no Stretch 2.

But I am surprised how strongly you dislike the Stretch 2... For me, it does no longer offer a lot of edge in a small overall package (it's longer when closed, less edge) and is a little less "unique", but the ergos for me have even improved a bit and the handle will fit more handsizes.
I’m a little surprised myself ...

As per my opening post I really like my Stretch 1 even though I’m not a fan of back locks. As a matter of fact, my S1 even has a little tiny bit of vertical play if you look hard enough and I couldn’t care less just like uneven lamination lines. ;)

I’ve never handled any Spydercos before buying them but when my S1 arrived I liked it from the very start and have never understood why it wasn’t a much bigger seller.

I’m not too big on handle to blade length ratios but I do view a good ratio as a desirable quality in a well designed folder which the S1 certainly is. I’m sure there are many good reasons for the changes and it is what it is, but I don’t need more handle and less blade and find the concept rather comical.

Anyhow, one man’s meat is another man’s poison. There only pocket knives at the end of the day and you can’t like them. Ah, hahaha! :)
Yes, I am also very surprised that the Stretch 1 did not sell even better than the Endura. Almost the same cutting surface, much shorter when closed, better ergos and carry.
Guess people disliked the looks and consequently did not even try it. Cause actually USING it makes you love that knife. Best do-it-all-folder imho.

One could argue that maybe the grip area is too short for people with XL and bigger hands, but the Stretch 1 offers at least the same amount if space there as the PM2.

I think: The Stretch 2 is very good, but for people who loved the Stretch 1 it could not be improved in the first place, cause it already is perfect... ;)
It’s because for more $ one gets less blade length than Endura. Unfortunately that and the looks (it’s beautiful in hand but not until you hold it), was why it’s less popular. IMO.
Chris :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

When I’m not using the Stretch1’s choil, my biggish hands search for more real estate and my little finger rides up and almost over the hook. My G10 Stretch2 certainly offers more real estate, if not the greater comfort of molded FRN.

I’ve been wanting to get an FRN Stretch2 but I notice in Bloke’s pics that the 2 seems to have lost some of the 1’s negative blade-angle, which I prize. If true, I might rethink getting another 2 and just be happy with my two 1s. Can anyone weigh in?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Bloke ya made a mistake mate, I just got in two Stretch version 1s and used one of them and the version 2 to cut up the box for recycling.

Very little if any difference. Version 2 with more belly offered different blade control being less pointy little better.

Handle and 50/50 choil more control and comfort.

Honestly I miss the Choil of the Stretch 2 more than anything else.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

anagarika wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:45 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 am
Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:31 pm

The Stretch 1 is probably my favorite folder of all times and I like it ever so slightly over the Stretch 2 too (hence my thread //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=82369 ).
Consequently I own three Stretch 1 and no Stretch 2.

But I am surprised how strongly you dislike the Stretch 2... For me, it does no longer offer a lot of edge in a small overall package (it's longer when closed, less edge) and is a little less "unique", but the ergos for me have even improved a bit and the handle will fit more handsizes.
I’m a little surprised myself ...

As per my opening post I really like my Stretch 1 even though I’m not a fan of back locks. As a matter of fact, my S1 even has a little tiny bit of vertical play if you look hard enough and I couldn’t care less just like uneven lamination lines. ;)

I’ve never handled any Spydercos before buying them but when my S1 arrived I liked it from the very start and have never understood why it wasn’t a much bigger seller.

I’m not too big on handle to blade length ratios but I do view a good ratio as a desirable quality in a well designed folder which the S1 certainly is. I’m sure there are many good reasons for the changes and it is what it is, but I don’t need more handle and less blade and find the concept rather comical.

Anyhow, one man’s meat is another man’s poison. There only pocket knives at the end of the day and you can’t like them. Ah, hahaha! :)
Yes, I am also very surprised that the Stretch 1 did not sell even better than the Endura. Almost the same cutting surface, much shorter when closed, better ergos and carry.
Guess people disliked the looks and consequently did not even try it. Cause actually USING it makes you love that knife. Best do-it-all-folder imho.

One could argue that maybe the grip area is too short for people with XL and bigger hands, but the Stretch 1 offers at least the same amount if space there as the PM2.

I think: The Stretch 2 is very good, but for people who loved the Stretch 1 it could not be improved in the first place, cause it already is perfect... ;)
It’s because for more $ one gets less blade length than Endura. Unfortunately that and the looks (it’s beautiful in hand but not until you hold it), was why it’s less popular. IMO.
Agree but honestly coming to the Stretch2 and 1 before the endura4 and I wonder how these Enduras sell at all?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anagarika wrote:

[/quote]

Right, less blade length in the Stretch 1 than in the Endura, but if you take into account that the Stretch 1 has more belly, you end with almost the same edge length / cutting surface (is that the word in english?). So one could argue , that in a much shorter package you get almost the same edge length (and the Stretch 1 is very noticeable shorter than the Endura in closed length. Not so much the Stretch 2, that´s one of the main reasons I prefer the "1" over the "2").

Furthermore, the Stretch is imho more advanced concerning ergos for most people (though strangely: Despite saying so, there are days when I personally prefer the Endura ergos).

I think they should be priced the same. But maybe the Endura is priced quite low, cause Spyderco KNOWS for sure from experience that it will sell in larger numbers, so they can keep the price lower in the first place?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Agree but honestly coming to the Stretch2 and 1 before the endura4 and I wonder how these Enduras sell at all?
Let me reply to your question:
Endura and Stretch 1 are my alltime favorite folders. There are days when I think I like the Endura over the Stretch (also in ergos) and vice versa. I seem never to be able to make a final decision.. ;)

So what do I like in the Endura?_

- Gives you a lot of actual cutting edge in relation to the overall length (same with Stretch 1, agreed)
- In a "regular", not choked up position your hand is really close to the edge (not so much true for the Stretch)
- Still I CAN choke up on that Ricasso almost as comfortably as on the Stretches choil (never found this to be a problem: Most times when choked up a lot of the pressure you apply with your index finger goes BACK against the front end of the handle, not on the actual choil or edge or Ricasso anyway)
- Just for me personally the ergos of the Endura feel very good, sometimes I think even better than the ones of the Stretch: The often critizised finger grooves of the Endura luckily are just right for me. And I like that on the Endura my fingers are placed more "in line" horizontally. In the Stretch 1 sometimes I feel that index- and middle finger are in a quite deep groove, ringfinger and pinky on that quite big swell, the difference between "groove" and "swell" sometimes feels a little to big (if I am VERY nitpicky, generally the Stretch 1 has about the best ergos ever for me personally)
- the Endura has a very competitive price and comes in various colors if you are into this
- The great thing about the blade shape of the Stretch 1 is the combination of a) a good amount of truly straight edge plus b) a good amount of belly
BUT: There are days when I prefer the very long almost straight edge of the Endura. Somehow it is like a "little wharncliff", that still has just enough amount of belly at the end, so that when cutting against a cutting board, the belly does the work (not mainly or only the tip as it would be the case with areal Wharnie cutting against a board...)

Long winded? ;) I know, I know... but you have to forgive me, I am talking about my two alltime favorites here... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:08 am
anagarika wrote:

Right, less blade length in the Stretch 1 than in the Endura, but if you take into account that the Stretch 1 has more belly, you end with almost the same edge length / cutting surface (is that the word in english?). So one could argue , that in a much shorter package you get almost the same edge length (and the Stretch 1 is very noticeable shorter than the Endura in closed length. Not so much the Stretch 2, that´s one of the main reasons I prefer the "1" over the "2").

Furthermore, the Stretch is imho more advanced concerning ergos for most people (though strangely: Despite saying so, there are days when I personally prefer the Endura ergos).

I think they should be priced the same. But maybe the Endura is priced quite low, cause Spyderco KNOWS for sure from experience that it will sell in larger numbers, so they can keep the price lower in the first place?
We think alike.
I think it boils down to a lot of the sales are online, not done after handling the knife in person. Price vs spec beats the Stretch one.
Last edited by anagarika on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chris :spyder:
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I'm with you Bloke... Stretch I, I absolutely love it. Love it, love it, love it. Such a sexy, beautiful, excellent knife to hold, and use.

I bought a Stretch II, carried it, used it,,,,,, ...... Do not love it - at all -

u.w.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Laughing awww wheres the love??? Don't worry Stretch two you will always have a home with me, in fact I will start a home for all unwanted Stretch 2's you guys just send them to me. :)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Oh, so pulled out the Stretch 1 and remembered what I don't like in tip down configuration. The jimping on the thumb ramp catches my hand when reaching into the pocket. But tip down feels better in the hand the way the clip lines up with my grip. Oh well. I'm in a small plain edge phase right now anyway and that thing is big and serrated.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not realize the 2 had a larger handle. I could not get the ergos on the 1 to work for me. I may have to get one, at some point (after the exchange rate gets better). I have always loved the knife other than the way it fit my large hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The stretch 2 handle is a bit bigger but not by much palm swell is a bit bigger / better There are a ton of CQI improvements and the Stretch 2 has more belly so the actual difference in cutting area is more than it appears on a draw cut the Belly makes a big difference. It also helps with de-boneing and skinning.

The point on the Stretch1 is better at piercing materials.

I like the blade of the stretch one better but prefer the deeper 50/50 choil and thumb ramp of the stretch2.

Between the two handles the stretch 2 is superior.

You may have to zoom out to see the difference in handles but they are significant in all dimensions and an improvement. I think if Sal does a Stretch 3 it would be a good idea to listen to what everyone is saying about the 1 and the 2 and incorporate the best features then it will be a solid winner!

On the Left is a Spyderco Stretch1 in VG-10 FRN On the Right the Stretch2 VG-10 FRN.

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:28 am
The stretch 2 handle is a bit bigger but not by much palm swell is a bit bigger / better There are a ton of CQI improvements and the Stretch 2 has more belly so the actual difference in cutting area is more than it appears on a draw cut the Belly makes a big difference. It also helps with de-boneing and skinning.

The point on the Stretch1 is better at piercing materials.

I like the blade of the stretch one better but prefer the deeper 50/50 choil and thumb ramp of the stretch2.

Between the two handles the stretch 2 is superior.

You may have to zoom out to see the difference in handles but they are significant in all dimensions and an improvement. I think if Sal does a Stretch 3 it would be a good idea to listen to what everyone is saying about the 1 and the 2 and incorporate the best features then it will be a solid winner!

On the Left is a Spyderco Stretch1 in VG-10 FRN On the Right the Stretch2 VG-10 FRN.

Wow! In that photo the handle on the right looks significantly longer than the handle on the left.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Funny how that works with cameras here try this shot.

I placed the Stretch 1 on top of the Stretch2 as you can see the dimensions of both knives differ. I honestly love them both and did not want to be without either one today so am carrying one in each pocket and using them alternately enjoying the differences and similarities.

sal

Post by sal »

Interesting discussion.

I designed the Stretch to serve a working function. After using it for quite a while and testing it with hunters, I decided that there were design flaws that in my opinion could be improved. We spend quite a bit to modify the molds to better serve the function. I believe the "2" is better for the purpose of the design. These little features are always a question in a working model.

Some of you prefer the "original, that's ok, and I respect your opinion. Those that are using "eye" over function, I can only apologize as that was not a primary factor in the design.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:49 am
Those that are using "eye" over function, I can only apologize as that was not a primary factor in the design.
Unacceptable Sal. We demand both! And cheap! :)