Good Bye Stretch!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
5-by-5

Re: Good Bye Stretch!

Post by 5-by-5 »

I need to handle a stretch 2. I have XXL hands. I don't see the constant reference to hand size cramping with the Stretch 1. I have three and I love the "locked into my grip" feel.
I'm a geek. So the functionality of design looks good to me.

I'm a traditionalist. However can certainly see and feel the improvements to the Paramilitary.
Last edited by 5-by-5 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:49 am
Interesting discussion.

I designed the Stretch to serve a working function. After using it for quite a while and testing it with hunters, I decided that there were design flaws that in my opinion could be improved. We spend quite a bit to modify the molds to better serve the function. I believe the "2" is better for the purpose of the design. These little features are always a question in a working model.

Some of you prefer the "original, that's ok, and I respect your opinion. Those that are using "eye" over function, I can only apologize as that was not a primary factor in the design.

sal
Yes sir and in the Stretch 2 it certainly shows that the design had to do with the desires of Hunters usage. I have a few guys at work who have seen the Stretch 2 and they are big hunters. They have each remarked hey that is a really neat looking knife, I'll bet that's a good Skinner.

Having them both I can really appreciate the evolution of the design and see where the improvements have been implemented.

Thank you for such a useful companion Sal.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

sal wrote:
Interesting discussion.

I designed the Stretch to serve a working function. After using it for quite a while and testing it with hunters, I decided that there were design flaws that in my opinion could be improved. We spend quite a bit to modify the molds to better serve the function. I believe the "2" is better for the purpose of the design. These little features are always a question in a working model.

Some of you prefer the "original, that's ok, and I respect your opinion. Those that are using "eye" over function, I can only apologize as that was not a primary factor in the design.

sal
Hi Sal,

I don't see any design flaws with the former and see design enhancements with the latter!!! :) All a matter of perspective I suppose.

FWIW, I just ordered a G10 model and of course won't get to try it for its intended purpose til 2nd season.

I'll chime back in come late October,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:32 pm
Hey Does, no, I haven't used it mate. I'm a little set in my ways and won't come about....
9D94E869-4462-4E5B-B100-4D75793562B4.jpeg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Interesting discussion.

sal
Sal, will the "straight spine Stretch" you were talking about have a longer bladelength like the G10 Stretch 2, or shorter like the FRN model? I personally hope for the longer blade...
Anyway, the existing Stretches are all great knives.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:32 pm
Bloke wrote:
Hey Does, no, I haven't used it mate. I'm a little set in my ways and won't come about....
Ha, Ha, Ha good one Lance!

I have seen Kermit captioned saying I like Iced tea

You know what's good about Iced tea?

You can drink it at work and it looks just like Jack Daniels :D
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I have a stretch (or 2, or stretch 2....x2) on the way ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:32 pm
Bloke wrote:
Ah, hahaha! You’re not wrong Lance and it took many years for me to warm to these crazy non conventional knives ... found one I like and they go and change it. :eek:

Do you have any plans for a Waterway 2? :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Interesting discussion.

sal
Many thanks Mr Glesser.

I’ll freely admit that I likely use my eye, not entirely over function but it does play a small role especially when I can compare one on one as I did with the two knives.

I think it’s just more of what I like and what I’m used to. To a simpleton like me it’s a bit like sitting down to drink the same coffee I drink every day and some cheeky bugger’s put a couple of teaspoons of sugar in it. Fair enough it’s sweeter, but I won’t drink it. :eek: Ah, hahaha!

Thanks for all the knives, the Forum and your interactions with us knuts and all you do for us. I’m extremely grateful for it.

Anyhow, I was probably out of order calling your Stretch 2 a mess and I hope you don’t hold that against me. As I don’t hold anything against you for ruining my beloved Stretch. :cool:

I should have just said I hate it. Ah, hahaha! :D

Best Regards

Alex :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Ha, ha, ha,ha
sal

Post by sal »

No problem Alex,

Cant please all of the people all of the time. I have a ZDX. They don't make them any more. I looked at new (other) models and none of them will match my ZDX. I'm sure if you hang around long enough, we'll make a model that pleases your eye, and then hope it pleases your function also.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

What is a ZDX?
sal

Post by sal »

it's a model that Acura made for about 3 years along with the Honda Crosstour. Both were disco'd. Market too small. But, me, living at 10K' in the Rocky mountains on a twisty mountain road 30 mile long that I am "forced" to drive to work every day, it was a perfect car. 4 wheel drive, ground clearance and a car, not an SUV. I guess I'll have to keep it alive as long as I can, but I do drive it every day.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Ah gotcha! Years ago living in Pennsylvania traveling the bad roads and mountains I learned respect fo all wheel drive Subaru’s. They could go where S-10 Blazers only dreamed of :)

Envy you Colorado is so beautiful compared to flat ugly hot Florida. It used to be good here now too many people too many North Eastern problem people who liked it better here because it was nicer than where they came from now they bring their rude manners and honking with them. Ruining the very thing they liked and tried to escape.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:14 pm
No problem Alex,

Cant please all of the people all of the time. I have a ZDX. They don't make them any more. I looked at new (other) models and none of them will match my ZDX. I'm sure if you hang around long enough, we'll make a model that pleases your eye, and then hope it pleases your function also.

sal
You’re a good man Mr Glesser, and I’m very happy to share in what you create. :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:28 am
The stretch 2 handle is a bit bigger but not by much palm swell is a bit bigger / better There are a ton of CQI improvements and the Stretch 2 has more belly so the actual difference in cutting area is more than it appears on a draw cut the Belly makes a big difference. It also helps with de-boneing and skinning.

The point on the Stretch1 is better at piercing materials.

I like the blade of the stretch one better but prefer the deeper 50/50 choil and thumb ramp of the stretch2.

Between the two handles the stretch 2 is superior.

You may have to zoom out to see the difference in handles but they are significant in all dimensions and an improvement. I think if Sal does a Stretch 3 it would be a good idea to listen to what everyone is saying about the 1 and the 2 and incorporate the best features then it will be a solid winner!

On the Left is a Spyderco Stretch1 in VG-10 FRN On the Right the Stretch2 VG-10 FRN.

Thanks for posting that picture. I can now see that the 2 fixes just the issues I had with the handle previously. I also like the blade shape better for its intended purpose. Now, I have to scrounge up some money. Sal, you are making me a poor man.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Never realized what the differences were between the Stretch 1 and 2 until these threads started popping up.

It's been making me consider buying another Stretch. I had the old ZDP/CF Stretch 1 and really liked it, but gifted it to a friend. Always thought an FRN version with a chunkier handle would be more ergonomic anyways.

Looking at the comparison photos I'm a lot more interested in the Steetch 2. More spacious thumb ramp, similar to Police 3 vs Police 4, longer grip, and deeper choil. I like the pointier blade shape of the 1 but understand why that would be modified for the intended role on this model.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:49 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:28 am
The stretch 2 handle is a bit bigger but not by much palm swell is a bit bigger / better There are a ton of CQI improvements and the Stretch 2 has more belly so the actual difference in cutting area is more than it appears on a draw cut the Belly makes a big difference. It also helps with de-boneing and skinning.

The point on the Stretch1 is better at piercing materials.

I like the blade of the stretch one better but prefer the deeper 50/50 choil and thumb ramp of the stretch2.

Between the two handles the stretch 2 is superior.

You may have to zoom out to see the difference in handles but they are significant in all dimensions and an improvement. I think if Sal does a Stretch 3 it would be a good idea to listen to what everyone is saying about the 1 and the 2 and incorporate the best features then it will be a solid winner!

On the Left is a Spyderco Stretch1 in VG-10 FRN On the Right the Stretch2 VG-10 FRN.

Thanks for posting that picture. I can now see that the 2 fixes just the issues I had with the handle previously. I also like the blade shape better for its intended purpose. Now, I have to scrounge up some money. Sal, you are making me a poor man.
Big Stretch 1 fan here (for me a perfect fit) but nevertheless: The ergos of the Stretch 2 are even more refined and will fit more hands, especially XL and bigger.
And what I like more in the Stretch 2 blade: There is less of a step between Ricasso and edge.
Hope you'll scrounge up the money soon and enjoy your Stretch. One of the best knives ever imho.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:58 pm
Never realized what the differences were between the Stretch 1 and 2 until these threads started popping up.

It's been making me consider buying another Stretch. I had the old ZDP/CF Stretch 1 and really liked it, but gifted it to a friend. Always thought an FRN version with a chunkier handle would be more ergonomic anyways.

Looking at the comparison photos I'm a lot more interested in the Steetch 2. More spacious thumb ramp, similar to Police 3 vs Police 4, longer grip, and deeper choil. I like the pointier blade shape of the 1 but understand why that would be modified for the intended role on this model.
Now imagine the blade of the Stretch 2 would make use of all of the available space inside the handle when the knife is closed (so lengthend). That would be an even better knife for me. But probably too long in blade for legal carry in too many areas...
But you mentionend once that you are really tall with big hands: The Stretch 2 should fit way better than the "1"
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Blokes stretch 2 is in a post bag headed my way ;)

As for Sals Honda-
Good choice, it’s hard to beat a Honda as a daily driver.