Milli blade, meet P4 handles and lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Milli blade, meet P4 handles and lock

Post by archangel »

Hmm... Am just playing with both my P4 K390 and my Millie with Rex45 blade. I love the solid closed construction of the P4. And I prefer the P4 back lock over the liner lock of the Millie (alot). What's better on the Millie is the blade thickness, and coming with that the higher handle thickness (the P4 is a bit slim). The Millie blade is really awesome...

How cool would it be to combine those qualities? Could be a dream knife....

What do you think?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
vivi

Re: Milli blade, meet P4 handles and lock

Post by vivi »

What advantage do you feel the thicker stock in the Military has during typical cutting tasks?
:unicorn
archangel

Post by archangel »

It feels better when I put my thumb on the ramp. :p

Seriously, the ratio of blade length to blade thickness is much more appealing on the Millie. The P4 blade is for slicing. With the Millie blade you can even chop. I'm more of a chopper on a large knife. I'd use shorter blades to slice.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
vivi

Post by vivi »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:18 pm

Seriously, the ratio of blade length to blade thickness is much more appealing on the Millie. The P4 blade is for slicing. With the Millie blade you can even chop. I'm more of a chopper on a large knife. I'd use shorter blades to slice.
I've chopped with both. I think durability during chopping comes down to edge geometry, steel selection and heat treat more than spine thickness.

I have some 2 foot long machetes that are thinner at the spine than my Police. They chop just fine.

I like longer blades better for slicing...it's easier to slice whatever you're cutting in a single stroke compared to shorter blades.

I'm with you on the spines being more comfortable on thicker knives. It's why I like cobra hoods. I'd like to see an aftermarket cobrahood that screws into the opening hole for that reason alone.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like the Police 4 blade better than the Military blade.

I actually like the two designs independently, for different reasons. I don't think hybridizing them would bring me any more value than the separate designs--except that it might get me a 204p/20cv/m390 Police, which would be kind of cool, but still not necessary, since the regular k390 Police 4 really "feels" like a sprint to me anyway.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:43 pm
archangel wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:18 pm

I'm with you on the spines being more comfortable on thicker knives. It's why I like cobra hoods. I'd like to see an aftermarket cobrahood that screws into the opening hole for that reason alone.
Seriously.... love the thumb ramp. And I'd buy that in a well made aftermarket version.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:15 pm
I love the Mili and don't have a P4, partly because it looks so similar to a Mili. I am indifferent to the lock (both are fine) and steel - my Mili's are already great cutters, and the only K390 I have is a mule, but it is also great. The Mili also handles really well for me.
Do you prefer the P4 because of the thinner stock (what most comment on)? I'm just curious more than anything.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Yes, basically. The thinner stock makes it a better slicer. And I haven't had any problems with strength. I'm not batoning, and I'm not prying with the tip, and I haven't found any real shortcomings of the P4 blade.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:15 pm

since the regular k390 Police 4 really "feels" like a sprint to me anyway.
I totally get that.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
archangel

Post by archangel »

I can't give any (scientific) evidence. I just feel that it would be a superb knife, if not for you, then for me. And my feeling is that it would sell well. I realise that the slim & light supporter group is strong in the forum. At the same time I doubt that there wouldn't be enough people that'd love a Millie blade in a closed back handles knife with backlock.
Michael
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I don't own a p4, regrettably, but I think I'd prefer it over my beloved military.... IN USE.

But overall, I like taller blades. I don't need the pointest, pokiest knife ever made. Give me a thin, TALL, FFG with a stout tip. I use knives hard and I don't like them looking like a toothpick after removing 1/4 inch of steel from the apex over the years. Also, a tall FFG with a relatively thin spine will not need regrinding nearly as much. You can remove a lot of steel over years time and it'll still be relatively thin behind the edge.

I like my manix XL for this reason, but I'm not a big fan of s30v.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
sal

Post by sal »