There and Back Again

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

There and Back Again

Post by MichaelScott »

Not as interesting or as exciting as Bilbo’s journey but as unexpected. For many years I did not have an allegiance to any particular knife maker. Like many of you I have had many, many knives over the years but eventually discovered Spyderco and pretty much dropped all of the others. As I have gotten older (76 now) and my health deteriorated my needs and preferences changed. I am predominantly a small folding knife guy now.

Last year I stumbled across Great Eastern Cutlery. I was, and am, amazed at the quality knives they produce in traditional American slip joints. I have had a few pass through my hands. However, downsizing in preparation for a big move this year I realized two things. I am not a knife collector, and my needs and preference is for one quality knife that will do what I need and won’t fail. For me, the candidates are few and I might have settled on the Lil’ Native as I really liked the one I had for a while. The Delica would have been up there except I want a more modern expression of that class of folding knife.

My sense now is to get the Para 3 LW when it is available. I got to try out a standard Para 3 a few months ago but felt it was a bit too chunky and a bit heavy for what I was looking for.

My Great Eastern Cutlery knives will be going to others who appreciate them and it looks as if I will have come full circle. Back to a good, all-around small folder backed by Spyderco.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Daveho

Re: There and Back Again

Post by Daveho »

Came to this thread for Hobbits.

Am disappointed.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Congratulations on making it this far, I'm your age as well and feel your pain.
As you, I gravitate to smaller knives and was thinking of the Lil Native. Right now I carry Para 3 in M390 and like it a lot and yes it is a bit heavy. Let us know how you like the lightweight Para 3 (when they come out).
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To settle on ONE quality Spyderco that does all I need was my goal for quite some time. And though such knives exist (Stretch 1 for example) I've totally given up on only owning one... ;)
The lil Native is a great knife, but as my only do it all blade the edge would be to short for me personally. Also true for the Para 3
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I discovered GEC back when they would sit in stores for months upon release. Now you better be sitting by your computer when they get released. I use to own quite a few, but ended up selling them in between jobs. When demand starts driving up the secondary prices I have a hard time convincing myself to use a knife. I had one of the GEC TC Barlows I bought for around $89. Seeing the aftermarket prices hit the $300s ruined it for me. Sold it for a bit less to a Bladeforum member trying to complete a collection. Still own about 4. Only one I regret selling was the 440C #25.

I'm only 50, but my knife buying has really slowed compared to when I was in my 20s. I got all these great knives now, but way less time/youth to get out and use them.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Michael, do you think you will go for the serrated or plain edged version? What do you find to be more useful for generic tasks?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Fellow GEC fan here, not to mention the obvious Spyderco love. Admittedly I came here for Hobbits also, but back on topic we all seem to go through ebb and flow of our hobby. I am experiencing a bit of the former currently and really looking hard at what has been habitually finding its way into my pockets the last few months. As for the GEC (and Northwoods) I still hold onto my favorites (#15 EO, #92, #85 EO) the attached being the best GEC in my honest opinion.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I came for the Shire and stayed for the para 3.

To me the para 3 is quintessential spyderco. It reminds me of my first, a worker. The lines are just right. It feels great and carries great. I’m curious about the lightweight too. CTS-BD1 sharpens up nicely, and it’s easy to maintain. BD1N should be even better? I just want an orange frn version. I’d rather it had nested liners though, like the 3/4 length liners of the griptilian.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:05 pm
Michael, do you think you will go for the serrated or plain edged version? What do you find to be more useful for generic tasks?
For me there is something classic and pure in a finely sharpened plain edge. Serrated edges surely have their uses and for some tasks are superior but for me and the general all around use I will have, the plain edge will be better.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Daveho wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Am disappointed.
Hobbits are small, crafty and are seldom seen especially when they don’t want to be.

Keep searching.

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:33 pm
Daveho wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Am disappointed.
Hobbits are small, crafty and are seldom seen especially when they don’t want to be.

Keep searching.
****... he’s right
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:41 pm
Not as interesting or as exciting as Bilbo’s journey but as unexpected. For many years I did not have an allegiance to any particular knife maker. Like many of you I have had many, many knives over the years but eventually discovered Spyderco and pretty much dropped all of the others. As I have gotten older (76 now) and my health deteriorated my needs and preferences changed. I am predominantly a small folding knife guy now.

Last year I stumbled across Great Eastern Cutlery. I was, and am, amazed at the quality knives they produce in traditional American slip joints. I have had a few pass through my hands. However, downsizing in preparation for a big move this year I realized two things. I am not a knife collector, and my needs and preference is for one quality knife that will do what I need and won’t fail. For me, the candidates are few and I might have settled on the Lil’ Native as I really liked the one I had for a while. The Delica would have been up there except I want a more modern expression of that class of folding knife.

My sense now is to get the Para 3 LW when it is available. I got to try out a standard Para 3 a few months ago but felt it was a bit too chunky and a bit heavy for what I was looking for.

My Great Eastern Cutlery knives will be going to others who appreciate them and it looks as if I will have come full circle. Back to a good, all-around small folder backed by Spyderco.
I'm also a fan of the gec knives. Many don't know that they make fixed blade fillet knives that work VERY well for their suited purpose. Not the best retention but gets razor sharp and re-sharpens very quickly and easily. I prefer my knives razor sharp. Allows for surgical precision when filleting fish. The F906 really does the job.