Do Spyderco Knives Have No Flaws?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Do Spyderco Knives Have No Flaws?

Post by Pelagic »

I think that innovation and CQI in itself reveals flaws constantly (not that every aspect "improved" by CQI was indeed a flaw). Some people are imagining flaw as a major weakness. "Flawless" essentially means perfect, not "free of any horrendously major defects".

It's largely a matter of perspective. How many people, after years of using spyderco knives, gripped a Shaman and were blown away by the ergonomics? Suddenly, several models which you previously thought had near perfect ergos now don't seem quite as great. Just one example.

There's no such thing as a flawless knife, let alone a company. Lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Ric

Post by Ric »

There are also flaws.
Design (weak detent), quality (bad action, not centered).
But design flaws are OK if you try new paths and correct them at the following products. Quality issues are not often and the get fixed or are not important because our knives are users.

The quality as such is top notch.
At other brand 3 out of 5 knives have issues. Or have bad design.
At Spyderco 9 out of 10 or better are perfect.
Also Spyderco listen to the customers. Red Loctite affair, reveal program...

And here we also can talk about negatives.
But the positives are soooo much more that it seems there are no negatives.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

I'm 0 for 2. One on its way back to Spyderco, the other off to the sharpener.
Crux

Post by Crux »

The only flaw Spyderco has is not enough different Para 3s. I mean only 24? Come on Spyderco. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

My Autonomy2 had a few issues that are being addressed - customer service has been as good as anyone could ask.
These are sophisticated little machines and there are going to be issues beyond what will show up in R&D.
The "service" details are what is setting Spyderco above the competition.
That is the lesson I have learned this week.
I just ordered a Shaman . . .
Don't judge me by my shoes.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

In one sense half the threads here are complaints about Spyderco models. We just word them as "can we get model X but with these changes" or "when is the Delica 7 coming out???".

Spyderco has made a few duds that didn't sell well or need tweaking to sort out issues. I don't follow all the models but if you look at the threads on the Positron (and Nick Shabazz's youtube review of it) you'll find a laundry list of fairly obvious issues with that one model. In general Nick does a better job identifying issues than Spyderco fans because he's not as easily distracted by the excitement of getting a new Spyderco knife.

There's always something not to like about most models. I made a thread on the Native 5 that I think was pretty critical, but lots of other people love that model and disagree with my complaints. Everybody's different and care about different things. But I think we can agree on one thing: The Chapparal LW is the best knife of all time.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Shabazz is a charicture of a North Eastern Italian Stereotype monitizing YouTube while entertaining he is a put on. No respect here. I prefer Smoke Eater, Apostle Pete and Nuttin Fancy reviews.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:10 pm
a flaw?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Crux

Post by Crux »

But is it?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

That is a feature, not a flaw! :-)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:16 pm
Shabazz is a charicture of a North Eastern Italian Stereotype monitizing YouTube while entertaining he is a put on. No respect here. I prefer Smoke Eater, Apostle Pete and Nuttin Fancy reviews.
I feel the opposite-compared to other YouTube knife nerds Nick is quite down to earth without pushing this fantastical idea of tactical crap and useless acronyms.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

"I feel the opposite-compared to other YouTube knife nerds Nick is quite down to earth without pushing this fantastical idea of tactical crap and useless acronyms."
This forum need a "Like" button.
Don't judge me by my shoes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:13 pm
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:16 pm
I feel the opposite-compared to other YouTube knife nerds Nick is quite down to earth without pushing this fantastical idea of tactical crap and useless acronyms.
I agree Dave. Nick is pretty good and quite knowledgeable. Though I do appreciate seeing some use in reviews, Nick is excellent. Now, that annoying KeithKevinKen on the other hand...aaayyyeeeee, just stop. Though I do like seeing the new releases he instantly posts about.

Doeswhatever...check out gideonstactical and preparedmind101. I think you would like their reviews as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks I will. Lol how ya doin!!! How ya doin He, He, He
Tims

Post by Tims »

+1 for appreciating Nicks vids

To the OP.

I live in Australia and buy the majority of my knives from the US, which means if it has a problem I live with it or put it away for spare parts. It’s just not worth sending it back for warranty.

I’ve received knives with flaws from just about every major knife company, including Spyderco. Probably more from Spyderco than any other, only because I buy more Spydercos than any other brand. Most flaws I’ve lived with, some I haven’t.

Flaws are part of the game and if you’re in the US, with Spyderco you have easy access to some of the best warranty in the game.

We are on a Spyderco forum dealing with people of all types, not all of whom are critical thinkers. You will get some push back for posting flaws but try and ignore it. By respectfully reporting flaws you are doing Spyderco and their fans a favour.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Dutchman, take a look at the "Shipping of Internal Parts" and "Taking Knives Apart" threads stickied up top. Those have generated some heat. I love most of Spyderco's designs and certain models fit my hand like they were made for it. But I've also been a big critic (okay, I've whined, moaned, complained, pitched hissy fits, and flung coniptions) about several areas of Spyderco's execution of those designs. Sal and the mods / admins here have been more than patient with me. The excellent designs, and knowing what Spyderco is capable of, are what makes the flaws so frustrating.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Dutchman wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:28 pm
"I feel the opposite-compared to other YouTube knife nerds Nick is quite down to earth without pushing this fantastical idea of tactical crap and useless acronyms."
Glad you like him but I am tired of the staged act and opinionated critiques. If you can’t show actual use then it is just opinionpieced show and tell for Safe Queens, like some kind of strange art showing.

Here try this guy out for size he puts his knives through use in his reviews. Down to earth please, no city slicker here, now this fella is as down to earth as it gets. https://youtu.be/PlqB16wdBzc
M

Now believe it or not I do find Nick entertaining in very small doses and generally disagree with many of his point and opinions but also annoying and not all that practically informative.

Just not my cup of tea.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:36 am
Dutchman wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:28 pm
Glad you like him but I am tired of the staged act and opinionated critiques. If you can’t show actual use then it is just opinionpieced show and tell for Safe Queens, like some kind of strange art showing.

Here try this guy out for size he puts his knives through use in his reviews. Down to earth please, no city slicker here, now this fella is as down to earth as it gets. https://youtu.be/PlqB16wdBzc
M

Now believe it or not I do find Nick entertaining in very small doses and generally disagree with many of his point and opinions but also annoying and not all that practically informative.

Just not my cup of tea.
Nick didn't really like the Stretch 1 as far as I remember, so he CAN'T be a good reviewer... :D just kidding of course!!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

OP, read this thread about the Rhino. Spyderco is different:
viewtopic.php?t=74423

Also, keep in mind that Sal or Eric usually carry and use new or changed designs for a while before they are released. They don't release stuff that looked cool, but didn't work in practice. A lot of companies seem to, and a lot of people seem to want knives that look great and they don't mind how they perform. If there is a knock on Spyderco, it's that they won't do knives that look the way some people would like them to. Each to their own. If you're only using it for light duty, looks may in fact matter more than performance to lots of people.

That reduces the number of design problems. Though there are still design and production issues, of course.
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

There's nothing wrong with people having their own opinions about knives. Though reading this forum, it's not always clear people buy into that.

There's nothing wrong with knives that look great but can't really be used for much more than opening letters, cutting threads, or opening a package. That's 90% of what most people do, so what's wrong with carrying a knife that makes them happy?

And if they think the Spyderhole and Spyderco knives are hideous, so what?

It's just a fact that most of the people here are kind of off the deep end with knives. If anyone has >500 posts on this forum, more than a dozen knives, and spent more than about $80 on average for them - they probably shouldn't be making judgements about what other people do with their time and money.