Manix 2 XL suggestion (best intentions)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Manix 2 XL suggestion (best intentions)

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Manix 2 XL, but I want to love it. I have large hands, 2 XL gloves fitting very snugly. When I hold the Manix 2 XL, the hook on the pommel cramps my little finger. Forget about my using this knife with gloves. I could not get my hand to fit. To my mind (and hand) it would be better having the pommel rounded off just like on the Military. That way, it would not cramp my hands and would still offer the security.

I have the best intentions, here. The Manix series is a favorite of mine, but for me personally (and others with larger hands), it could use some CQI.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Re: Manix 2 XL suggestion (best intentions)

Post by Pelagic »

This is a valid concern. I have average hands and the manix XL fits my hand perfectly without gloves.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mine are XL-XXL and the Manix XL is one of the most comfortable folders for me.

I like the pinky hook. To me its part of what makes the Manix, the Manix. I can grip further back with my pinky on the rear end of the pinky hook and still get a secure grip for light chopping. I never worry about my hand slipping off in a regular working grip, regardless of conditions. Can't say the same for the mini manix, which always wanted to slip out of my grip with wet hands.

My biggest ergonomic complaint is lets get rid of the thumb ramp, or push it forward. As it is my thumb pad wants to go right on the point at the top of it.

Either way I doubt we'll see another version of it. I've been hoping for a lightweight run, or DLC carbon tool steel sprint. The Para 3 has had 82 variations in the year it's been out, while the Manix XL has been run in a grand total of two steels in a decade.

Obviously its not a big seller compared to smaller models. Wish it weren't the case. I'd be all over an M4 DLC sprint
:unicorn
archangel

Post by archangel »

Another aspect: according to Spydiewiki there was only one exclusive using a steel other than S30V, and very few sprints/exclusives in general. Just saying... :rolleyes:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:45 am

I like the pinky hook. To me its part of what makes the Manix, the Manix. I can grip further back with my pinky on the rear end of the pinky hook and still get a secure grip for light chopping. I never worry about my hand slipping off in a regular working grip, regardless of conditions. Can't say the same for the mini manix, which always wanted to slip out of my grip with wet hands.

My biggest ergonomic complaint is lets get rid of the thumb ramp, or push it forward. As it is my thumb pad wants to go right on the point at the top of it.

Either way I doubt we'll see another version of it. I've been hoping for a lightweight run, or DLC carbon tool steel sprint. The Para 3 has had 82 variations in the year it's been out, while the Manix XL has been run in a grand total of two steels in a decade.

Obviously its not a big seller compared to smaller models. Wish it weren't the case. I'd be all over an M4 DLC sprint
Try using it with gloves. Even without gloves, my little finger is not comfortable. If the end were rounded more, it would fix both issues, I believe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:08 am
Vivi wrote:

Try using it with gloves. Even without gloves, my little finger is not comfortable. If the end were rounded more, it would fix both issues, I believe.
I also have XL-XXL hands, but fingers pretty thin for hand size, and the XL fits my hands more comfortably than probably any other knife. Doc, you must have pretty thick fingers. I can see how that would make a difference. I'll bet it would help if you could just carefully grind off the point on the pinky hook until it feels comfortable -- I know it would be better for Sal and company to do it, but I'd like them to keep the current model too if they do :p

The thumb ramp is fine with me. I have room to shift my hand back a tiny bit when I use it.

I would love to see a sprint or exclusive in M4, plain or DLC. I would like the smooth carbon fiber like the Knife Center cruwear M2 exclusive but would gladly take a jade G10 M4 from BHQ if we could get them to add it to their lineup.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Funny how much finger THICKNESS makes a difference in a certain handsize.
My hands are not XXL, but a "small XL", and for me the REGULAR Manix 2 is a perfect fit, for my fingers are rather thin probably
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Works fine for me. And here I thought I had the biggest hands here, haha.

Though I suppose it depends on what kind of gloves you wear :eek:

What say you to a Manix XXL? :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'll take a Manix 2 (or 3) XXL... and you could probably store a backup knife or 2 in that glove ^^^ :eek:

The great thing about the regular Manix 2 is that the handle design, with its carefully contoured tail end, gives a comfortable grip for just about any size hand, IMO anyway. It just gives up the unusual luxury of even more comfort and security that the XL tail hook provides.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I bought a Manix LW intending to use it instead of my Pacific Salts, but the handle doesn't feel right to me without the generous pinky hook. Ended up selling it.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:22 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Works fine for me. And here I thought I had the biggest hands here, haha.

Though I suppose it depends on what kind of gloves you wear :eek:

What say you to a Manix XXL? :D
My hands are very thick for my size. When my wife and I got engaged and she was buying my wedding ring, the jeweler asked her if she were marrying King Kong. Hahaha!

I do not have the largest hands around, but they are pretty thick so when I hold the XL, my pinky is a bit crowded. Gloves are a non-starter. If they ever came out with an FRN LW I would grind the pommel down for sure.

I love the knife otherwise.

An XXL sounds good to me, as well.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050