Pros & cons of Cruwear?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Pros & cons of Cruwear?

Post by Catamount123 »

No experience with this steel. Edge retention? Toughness? Sharpening? I think Super Blue May be the closest thing I've tried. If it sharpens, and takes an edge, like SB, that would be a pro in my book.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Pelagic

Re: Pros & cons of Cruwear?

Post by Pelagic »

Edge retention just below M4, toughness just above M4, sharpenability is VERY, VERY GOOD. Corrosion resistance is impressive too, considering. Almost a semi-stainless.

One of the most well-balanced steels in the industry.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Cool, I'm looking to get a Shaman sprint or exclusive, and Cruwear/micarta is the only one Sal has let slip so far.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
ferider

Post by ferider »

CPM CruWear (there are data for both powder and ingot steels around, you have to look for the right ones).

Pretty much my favorite Spyderco steel by now. Only disadvantage is that it doesn't reach super high HRC compared to - say - Rex 45, Maxamet or ZDP. CW HRC should be above 61, though, AFAIK. It's easy to sharpen and edge retention is very close to CPM M4. Quite a bit tougher than CPM M4, similar to 3V actually. Except for the Tuff made of Unobtainium, CPM CruWear is the toughest steel Spyderco uses today. Well there is also a Mule in Micro Melt PD#1, which is pretty much the same as CPM Cruwear.

And as a bonus, more corrosion resistant than the other non stainless steels that I use (M4, 4V, Rex 45, Hap40, Maxamet). I have no experience with SB.

Roland.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Cruwear is hands down my favourite steel. I’ve got a Manix2,(it was my first Spydie!) and a PM2 in Cruwear. Also an Enigma slipjoint in US2000 which is very similar. I find it easy to touch up and sharpen though it rarely needs it as it holds a great edge. In my experience it is not at all chippy and doesn’t roll. Here in Winnipeg we go from desert like dry to 100% humidity. -40 degrees Celsius to +40 Celsius, (I believe that’s -40 to 104 Fahrenheit?) and no corrosion issues however we do not have saltwater to contend with. On that note, my sweat rusts unpatina’d M4 in minutes but not Cruwear. I’ve got a Stretch in Superblue but can’t really compare the two as I don’t carry the Stretch much. (It’s on the chopping block right now. Considering thinning the herd). The closest steel to it that I’ve got is my Smock Knives SK23 in 3v, (can’t wait for the Spyderco Smock!)They behave very similar.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

CPM Cruwear is also my favorite non-salt Spyderco steel. The only downside for me is that it is not as 100% waterproof as H1 or LC200N. Otherwise, it is perfectly well rounded for the majority of my needs when I dont absolutely need a salt-worthy steel. If every Spyderco model came in Cruwear, PE LC200N, and SE H1, id be broke. I really hope we see a resurgence in CPM-Cruwear exclusives and sprints this year and would love to see it become a production steel.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:30 pm
I'm interested to see how Spyderco's BD1N compares. From what I have read it takes a keen edge and isn't terribly hard to sharpen. I've seen other makers run BD1N up to 63 HRC, so I assume that edge retention is good. It is also a relatively low alloy steel, which (I think) gives it good toughness. From my uninformed view, it seems like BD1N might be the steel for those who want a good balance (like CPM Cruwear) but want more corrosion resistance. Again, most of this is just speculation on my behalf. A stat sheet only tells you so much, but I am interested to see a comparison by somebody who is more knowledgeable than myself.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’d like a Cruwear Native, please.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Dudemac333

Post by Dudemac333 »

Love it. Eats through cardboard and holds an edge forever.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:30 pm
Edge retention just below M4, toughness just above M4, sharpenability is VERY, VERY GOOD. Corrosion resistance is impressive too, considering. Almost a semi-stainless.

This sums it up well. My most carried and most used knife in the last few years is a Mili in cruwear.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Catamount123 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:35 pm
Cool, I'm looking to get a Shaman sprint or exclusive, and Cruwear/micarta is the only one Sal has let slip so far.
This will be a must buy for me!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:45 pm
Yep still waiting
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Everything cruwear gets an automatic buy from me. Got 2 pm2
In it and a para 3. They hold up tremendously well in the field.
Sharpening is very easy. Even a novice and a sharpmaker can get this steel hairshaving sharp.

When I got my para 3 the detent was insane. I opened it by spydieflick and the whole knife flew 2 meters out of my hand haha. First time for everything I guess..
It fell on my stone pave way and there was only minor chipping! Nothing that setting my own bevel didn't fix right up and I'm 100% positive that taking the edge off and microbeveling it on a sharpmaker would have worked just fine as well.
I didn't know anything about it before I got it but I was extremely impressed with it. One of the best balanced steels I've come across the last 15 years without a doubt. Even when talking corrosion resistance instead of performance it holds up very very well for a tool steel (the English term escapes me)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Just touched up the cruwear pm2 BRIEFLY on a 1200 grit DMT stone, grabbing arm hairs without touching skin. It's truly a pleasure to sharpen.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:05 am
Just touched up the cruwear pm2 BRIEFLY on a 1200 grit DMT stone, grabbing arm hairs without touching skin. It's truly a pleasure to sharpen.
Couldn't agree more! I find myself looking for reasons to sharpen my cruwear but it's hard to improve on hair popping sharpness and I don't want to waste the lifespan on my cruwear pm2s for nothing.
If there is in fact a shaman coming in cruwear I'll be all over that.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

All the above is why I jumped on the para3 like a chicken on a June bug when KC ran them recently. I’ve not heard any negatives. Just reprofiled mine on cbn rods on the sharpmaker to get rid of some microbevel. Will finish sharpening when I get a chance... kids!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I never understood why Spyderco decided to use Maxamet and not CPM-Cruwear in regular production. Cruwear is a superb steel with almost perfect balance of properties. It sharpens like a dream, very good toughness and edge stability, more than decent corrosion resistance. My all time favorite.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ferider

Post by ferider »

A pic says more than thousand words .... compiled from crucible.com:

This is how much I like CPM Cru-Wear. My two favorite knives, sometimes carried together :)

Roland.
Last edited by ferider on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

this thread has me craving that Cruwear Shaman sprint!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:45 pm

Yes, this is one i've been asking for as well. Native and Native LW. Also would love a CQI'd Military. Hoping to see a few DLC CPM-Cruwear knives as well. Id love to see CPM-Cruwear become the M390/CTS-204P/20V of 2019!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red