Changes to the Chaparral CF - Exposed Screws

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mbp

Changes to the Chaparral CF - Exposed Screws

Post by mbp »

Hi all, longtime lurker first time poster. I had a Chaparral some years ago that I ended up giving away. I recently acquired another one and I find that this one now has the two body screws on either side of the lockbar exposed. Previously they were hidden under the scale. I was unable to find any pictures on the net that showed one like my new one so I'm looking to find out if this is a change moving forward on this model? I have to say I don't care much for it; the clean, minimalist look with the screws hidden was one of my favorite things about this model.

Either way thanks for any information you can provide!
TazKristi

Re: Changes to the Chaparral CF - Exposed Screws

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, mbp:
Welcome to our forum. Is it possible that you're confusing the Chaparral with another model? We released the Carbon Fiber configuration in 2011 in the mid-year and it had exposed screws then and it still does. To be sure, you're asking about this model, https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C152CF/672?

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hi mpb,

As far as I know, only the Chaparral LW (FRN) has the additional exposed screws. On all other versions the lock bar and back spacer screws are below the scales.

Can you post a picture of your Chap?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mbp

Post by mbp »

Yes, I am sure it is the Chaparral. Here is a pic. As you can see, compared to the catalog pic, on mine the two small screws on either side of the lockbar cutout are drilled through the scales instead of being pocketed under them.
IMG_20190123_065623460_2-min.jpg
anycal

Post by anycal »

My CF Chaparral's has the screws exposed.

What's interesting, bunch of pictures of this knife, including the Kristy's link, don't have screws on either side of the lock bar. How is that possible?

Mine,

Not mine,
Peter
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have had a CF Chap for years now and absolutely love it.

Mine has the screws hidden under the scales. While it isn't a huge difference I am glad that I have one from before this change.

I wonder why they made the change?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hmm.. well I stand corrected and I misunderstood which screws - sorry it was late. I'll have to do a little research and we'll need to update our images. With SHOT Show this week I may not get too far on the research but I will find out and post again once I know a little more.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
carrot

Post by carrot »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 am
Hmm.. well I stand corrected and I misunderstood which screws - sorry it was late. I'll have to do a little research and we'll need to update our images. With SHOT Show this week I may not get too far on the research but I will find out and post again once I know a little more.

Kristi
Any new info on this Kristi?

Thanks!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I was an early Chaparral adopter and got S30V instead of the promised XHP blade steel.

That bugged me over the years. Last year I finally got an XHP version.

Neither of these CF specimens has more than two screws showing per side.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:35 pm
I was an early Chaparral adopter and got S30V instead of the promised XHP blade steel.

Do you feel that there is much of a difference between XHP and S30 V in practical, real life use? (Honest question, I got my first Chap quite recently so I can't really compare it to S30V yet).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Interesting. I alway liked the fact that the screws were hidden for that particular knife.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:39 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

Do you feel that there is much of a difference between XHP and S30 V in practical, real life use? (Honest question, I got my first Chap quite recently so I can't really compare it to S30V yet).
Discussions here and elsewhere usually point to XHP’s slightly better edge-retention, perhaps because of its D2 pedigree.

I’ve not compared the two side-by-side, but nothing either one has demonstrated leads me to think I would be needing something better if S30V or XHP was my only steel.

I pursued the XHP version only because I wanted the Chap as Sal designed it. The model is one of my faves.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:39 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

Discussions here and elsewhere usually point to XHP’s slightly better edge-retention, perhaps because of its D2 pedigree.

I’ve not compared the two side-by-side, but nothing either one has demonstrated leads me to think I would be needing something better if S30V or XHP was my only steel.

I pursued the XHP version only because I wanted the Chap as Sal designed it. The model is one of my faves.
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, it's a great design. I am usually into bigger folders, but was unexpextedly so blown away by that little Chap that I even started a thread about that very topic quite recently.. ;)

And I am with you, if XHP is like S30V or even slightly better that's more than good enough for my needs.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:15 pm
if XHP is like S30V or even slightly better that's more than good enough for my needs.
Like you, I prefer bigger knives, but for what the Chap is designed to be, I cannot find one nit to pick...

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:15 pm
if XHP is like S30V or even slightly better that's more than good enough for my needs.
Like you, I prefer bigger knives, but for what the Chap is designed to be, I cannot find one nit to pick...
Exactly
I also think it would wirk in a longer version too. Same thin stock, but just a longer slice (So not thicker, not wider just about half an inch longer). Actually even did a poll about that some weeks ago.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That’s pretty crazy about the exposed screws! Here’s an older backup one I just sold on the Exchange and it’s clearly the hidden-screw variety. Sorry to the folks that got the exposed version, I’d be displeased about that too... :(

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

anycal wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:16 am
What's interesting, bunch of pictures of this knife, including the Kristy's link, don't have screws on either side of the lock bar. How is that possible?

Simple, it still has all the same screws, but the lockbar pivot and forward backspacer screw are hidden under the scales rather than exposed.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
anycal

Post by anycal »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:53 am
anycal wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:16 am

Simple, it still has all the same screws, but the lockbar pivot and forward backspacer screw are hidden under the scales rather than exposed.
I figured that was the case, based on the Raffir model. It was more of a rhetorical question, or more like, 'how is it possible I got the version with exposed screws and didn't even realize it!'

Would I rather have the older version? Yes. Does it bother me that much? No. If anything, the screws hold the scales nice and tight against the liners. Less chance of gaps.
Peter
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

anycal wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:07 am
Would I rather have the older version? Yes. Does it bother me that much? No. If anything, the screws hold the scales nice and tight against the liners. Less chance of gaps.

Can't say that I blame you, the fewer visible fasteners the better for me too.

It's possible that an issue with gaps may be the reason for the change. Complaints, or enough knives failing QC, could have prompted the change. Of course, it could also have been for other reasons, like ease of manufacturing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I take it the now-exposed screws on CF are the new way of doing things?