Trouble sharpening Spyderco...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

Trouble sharpening Spyderco...

Post by fixall »

Hello all!

I seem to be having an issue sharpening my Spyderco knives. For some reason the heel and the tip on the show side of the knife seem to be taking a different angle than the rest of the knife. I am using a Edge Pro to do the sharpening and have never had this issue with the two dozen or so other knives I have sharpened, but this has now happened to two Spyderco's in a row. I've only been sharpening for about six months, so there is a good chance I'm missing something and it's user error, but I can't seem to figure it out.

It only happened on the show side and I sharpened a Buck knife right after having the issues with the Spyderco's and I was not able to repeat the results. Could it be an issue with the factory grind?

It's not the best picture, but here is the Chaparral I sharpened and first noticed the issue on. Look towards the heel of the blade.

Woodpuppy

Re: Trouble sharpening Spyderco...

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m waiting for the scary ghost to pop up and shriek at me... I’m not able to see anything at phone scale that would bug me.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Do you sharpen using the blade stock as reference or the blades flat grind?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
fixall

Post by fixall »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:12 pm
I like to set my folders to a 15dps bevel (performed with the Edge Pro) with a 20dps microbevel (performed with the Sharpmaker).
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:54 pm
I’m waiting for the scary ghost to pop up and shriek at me... I’m not able to see anything at phone scale that would bug me.
I don't have proper light for a photo so the quality isn't too great, but the grind on the heel of the knife is wonky... That's not a reflection.

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

fixall wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm
Bloke wrote:
I like to set my folders to a 15dps bevel (performed with the Edge Pro) with a 20dps microbevel (performed with the Sharpmaker).
We basically sharpened the same. :)

I sit the blade on the table of my Apex Pro style sharpener forward of the plunge grind and not on the ricasso.

So in the picture below only the part of the blade that is taped sits on the table.

setldown

Post by setldown »

Keep the plunge line parallel to the stone and be careful to keep the stone flat or you'll start to create a recurve edge. Maybe this video will help. I would bet you are right handed and when you flip the knife and stroke the rod with your left hand you are inadvertently tilting the stone when you come to the heel.

https://youtu.be/E1Y6EAHAtEs
fixall

Post by fixall »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 pm
fixall wrote:
Bloke wrote:
We basically sharpened the same. :)

I sit the blade on the table of my Apex Pro style sharpener forward of the plunge grind and not on the ricasso.

So in the picture below only the part of the blade that is taped sits on the table.

I do the same. I find the little bit of math and extra step it takes to get the exact angle I want to be well worth it. :)

setldown wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 pm
Keep the plunge line parallel to the stone and be careful to keep the stone flat or you'll start to create a recurve edge. Maybe this video will help. I would bet you are right handed and when you flip the knife and stroke the rod with your left hand you are inadvertently tilting the stone when you come to the heel.

https://youtu.be/E1Y6EAHAtEs
I've been doing my best with keeping the stone parallel to the plunge line, but you may be on to something with me tilting the stone when I switch to my left hand. I just don't understand why I haven't been able to repeat the results with another knife other than a Spyderco. I'm thinking that maybe when I knock off that little piece of steel near the heel where a sharpening choil would typically be located, I'm not doing such a great job on the left side and that's causing me to tilt the stone when I hit that area. I don't know though because I seem to be having that same issue (only on the show side) when I don't knock off that extra piece of steel and focus on not tilting the stone.

Here's a ZDP-189 Ladybug I did a real quick job on just now and it is still exhibiting that issue. I sharpened a Benchmade 555-1 right after that and did not run into the issue (The 555-1 has a sharpening choil though).

Here's the show side.

Compared to the clip side (well, what WOULD be the clip side, if the Ladybug had one).

I'm definitely not ruling out human error, I just can't figure out why I'm only having the trouble with Spyderco knives right now.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Looks like there's a professional sharpener having the exact same issue as me.

https://youtu.be/PT4uvfuplk4&t=2s
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

[EDIT: Disregard, I misunderstood the issue.]
Last edited by Zatx on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

fixall wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:54 pm
I don't have proper light for a photo so the quality isn't too great, but the grind on the heel of the knife is wonky... That's not a reflection.

Ah, I see. Thought it was just the light. I use the sharpmaker almost exclusively, so I’m sorry I don’t have anything to add. I can commiserate though.
setldown

Post by setldown »

fixal
Perhaps if you contact EdgePro and reference this thread, Ben or Cody can shed some light on this.
https://www.edgeproinc.com/contact-us-26.html
fixall

Post by fixall »

setldown wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:07 am
fixal
Perhaps if you contact EdgePro and reference this thread, Ben or Cody can shed some light on this.
https://www.edgeproinc.com/contact-us-26.html
Good call, I think I'll do that.
fixall

Post by fixall »

I'm talking to Ben right now... Looks like I might be trying for to thin of an edge.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

It seems the heel is sharpened at wider angle than the rest. Often happens on the show side on many knives (not only Spyderco). I am guessing it’s because of using belt system, when doing show side it is likely held by left hand and the person is right handed.
Chris :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

fixall wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:32 am
I do the same. I find the little bit of math and extra step it takes to get the exact angle I want to be well worth it.
I think it’s the easiest way to get consistent bevels. All said, I get them as even as I can by eye and call it good.

I’m not too sure that taking your bevel to any angle you like should effect anything. It’s a bit of a strange one and I don’t rightly know but would be interested to hear what you learn. :)
Crux

Post by Crux »

They sell tiny files that will fix this for you. Seems like an easy fix to the rest of the world.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: