Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ComboEdge

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by ComboEdge »

The screenshot below from Nick Shabazz's "How to disassemble and maintain a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (PM2)" YouTube video (sta3r7Wyh20) shows that when the disassembled PM2 is closed completely (with a standard blade), a large portion of the skeletonized liners are visible. It is almost enough empty space to contain an additional tool near the lanyard hole, such as the carabiner/bottle opener on the Leatherman Crater. A tanto blade shape would seem to be a more optimal way of utilizing the empty space in the handle than the standard blade shape, and would cover most of the skeletonized portions of the liner.
PM2TantoDisassembledFootprint.jpg
ComboEdge

Post by ComboEdge »

The two images below are my crude attempts to superimpose the tanto PM2 blade from a screenshot from Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) onto the disassembled PM2 from Nick Shabazz's video. It is a safe assumption that the round hole and the pivot will probably be in the same location on the PM2 regardless of the blade shape, so I tried to line those up on the two source images. If I had greater image editing abilities, I would rotate the tanto blade image clockwise by few degrees and possibly resize it at well, so that the spines and points on the two source images are lined up (as well as the round hole & pivot locations). But the tanto blade shape does seem to be a more natural fit for the PM2 handle (the PM2 handle almost looks like a midlock/backlock handle without a midlock if the standard blade is used).
The attachment PM2TantoDisassembledV2B.jpg is no longer available
PM2TantoDisassembledV2B.jpg
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Just waiting for the tanto military and tatanka flash batch.

I might get one of these if it comes out. Lum style is the only tanto that appeals to me aside from the Halo tanto or weehawk tanto. Doubt spyderco will do those styles any time soon.
ComboEdge

Post by ComboEdge »

The two screenshots below from Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) show that there is a slight swedge on the PM2 tanto prototype, and the spine apparently does not taper to a fine enough point to be considered a false edge or weehawk tanto. It looks like it may be an American tanto modified to fit the PM2 blade footprint. A more pronounced swedge could reduce the weight of the tanto blade since it seems to contain more metal (and therefore more weight) than the standard PM2 blade. There might even be enough space to create a "Native 1"-style swedge (the Native 1 is my favorite overall Spyderco blade shape).
The attachment 06.jpg is no longer available
06.jpg
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

ComboEdge wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:56 pm
The two screenshots below from Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) show that there is a slight swedge on the PM2 tanto prototype, and the spine apparently does not taper to a fine enough point to be considered a false edge or weehawk tanto. It looks like it may be an American tanto modified to fit the PM2 blade footprint. A more pronounced swedge could reduce the weight of the tanto blade since it seems to contain more metal (and therefore more weight) than the standard PM2 blade. There might even be enough space to create a "Native 1"-style swedge (the Native 1 is my favorite overall Spyderco blade shape).
06.jpg
08.jpg
First of all, welcome to the forum! Second of all, I like your nick name and the combo serrated edge of the PM Tanto! BRAVO! GREAT JOB! :)

And I like your super imposing of the tanto blade on the handle.

I also like the swedge on the Native 1. I like Saber Grinds, Swedges, False Edges, Spearpoints, and thick blade grinds in the 2.5 to 4 mm range.

Do you like the idea of not only a G10 handled PM Tanto but also a Light Weight version with FRN handle, and, a full Military Tanto with both handle materials and ofcourse combo edges? Those are some of my Spyderco dream knives.
ComboEdge

Post by ComboEdge »

Thanks SpyderEdgeForever. When I registered for this forum, I was surprised that the username "ComboEdge" was not taken yet in a nearly 2-decade-old forum. Yes, I would be very interested in a FRN-handled PM2 with a tanto blade. The upcoming 2019 release of a FRN-handled Para 3 indicates that Spyderco is open to releasing lightweight versions of the Military/PM2/Para3 knife family, so that is encouraging. With the exception of a bone-handled Micro Dyad that I owned for a while before giving it away, all of the Spyderco knives that I have ever owned have FRN handles. I have never seen a scratch on FRN. It is my favorite handle material, and I associate it with Spyderco. I heard that Spyderco is currently the most frequently counterfeited knife brand in the world, and that FRN-handled knives are less likely to be counterfeited. I would definitely be interested in a FRN-handled PM2 with a tanto blade and a combo edge (and a wire clip) and I would prefer it over G10 for weight considerations alone. I would not hesitate to order more than one combo edge tanto-bladed PM2, regardless of handle type, if they were ever released.

Below is a second attempt to post a screenshot from Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) which shows the degree of tapering on the swedge/spine on the PM2 tanto prototype. There seems to be an opportunity to give it an even sharper false edge to reduce weight.
08.jpg
ComboEdge

Post by ComboEdge »

Below is a second attempt to attach a crude mock-up that superimposes the tanto PM2 blade from a screenshot from Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) onto the disassembled PM2 from Nick Shabazz's "How to disassemble and maintain a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (PM2)" YouTube video (sta3r7Wyh20). In reality, the tanto blade would be rotated clockwise a few degrees so that the spine and tip of the blade is in the same position as the standard blade would be. The mock-up attempts to show how most of the empty space (created by the lack of a backlock/midlock) would be utilized by the tanto blade shape, making it ideal for the PM2.

I think that a combo edge (partial serrations) could be a natural addition to a tanto blade, since many tanto blade users treat the angle in the tanto blade edge as a single serration (or secondary blade point) anyway.
PM2TantoDisassembledV5.jpg
ComboEdge

Post by ComboEdge »

This screenshot below from Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) shows that there is a hollow grind, as in most American tanto blades, on most of the cutting surface of the edge, with a convex or flat ground tip. For this reason, this may be the first knife in the Spyderco Military knife family containing a hollow ground portion. The presence of the swedge and the hollow grind could make the PM2 Tanto popular with fans of the Native 1, Native 2, & Native 3 blade grind.
10.jpg
ComboEdge

Post by ComboEdge »

This screenshot below from Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) highlights the pillar construction of the PM2 tanto prototype. Given that the tanto blade on this prototype was hand-ground, it is probably a safe assumption that the rest of the PM2 tanto (handle & everything other than than the blade) will remain the same as the standard PM2.
11.jpg
SpyderEdgeForever

Please keep this going. We need and want the PM Tanto.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm still hyped about it.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Markana

Post by Markana »

I'd buy this variation.Spydrrco needs more tantos.
SpyderEdgeForever

Markana wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:50 am
I'd buy this variation.Spydrrco needs more tantos.
I agree 100 percent. And I want it in both plain edge and full or part serrated COMBO EDGE!
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Really excited for this. Have they announced what type of steel they are gonna use. I think Cruwear is the way to, but M4 seems to Bladehq's steel of choice
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I think this is a great addition to the lineup.
ComboEdge

Post by ComboEdge »

Here is an alternate screenshot from Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) that has a lighting angle that highlights the hollow grind portion of the blade. I am in favor of a combo edge version of the PM2 tanto. The straight plain edge of a tanto is arguably optimized for push cuts (or hacking), since it maximizes the length of the edge that is contacting the surface (being cut) at any given time. I think a serrated portion would be a natural complement the plain edge portion, since the serrations maximize the surface area of the blade being used when sawing/slicing. A combo edge would provide both a plain edge section that optimizes cutting surface area for push cuts, and a serrated section that optimizes cutting surface for sawing/slicing, making it an elegant and versatile addition to the Spyderco lineup. Also, a tanto blade shape is seen by some as being a sword blade shape in a knife, but a knife does not necessarily have the length and mass (of a sword) that would best utilize that shape. From the perspective of cutting edge length, I think that a knife with serrations could be closer to being a sword than a non-serrated knife, since serrations increase the overall cutting edge length of a blade.
09.jpg
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

I like the PM2 as is but kudos to Spyderco for bringing others new knives.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I will be a HUGE seller,but not for me.I don't like tanto blades.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Cave_Hermit

Post by Cave_Hermit »

What a thing of beauty that is.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have stewed on this design since it was announced. I like it, however, I think I would prefer a Lum Tanto Folder with a compression lock.

I think that the Lum is the perfect design for a tanto, except for the liner lock.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson