What is this on the new Spydiechef lock bar?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: What is this on the new Spydiechef lock bar?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hi Sal hope everyone is having a nice time at Shot Show. What is the word on these lock-bars?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 am
Hi Sal hope everyone is having a nice time at Shot Show. What is the word on these lock-bars?
To ship it in ;)

I'm curious aswell.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Welp, since the Spydiechef isn't getting much love with my ugly lock bar photos, here are some better shots showing off this beauty!

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Looks like they carbidized or carberized the lock face. My first production Chef had terrible lock stick. Does yours have any lock stick?
Josh
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:08 pm
Looks like they carbidized or carberized the lock face. My first production Chef had terrible lock stick. Does yours have any lock stick?

Only intermittently, but not nearly as often as just a day ago. ;) Today she got a mirrored hair-splitting bevel, new clip, and blue titanium screws.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Zatx wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:44 pm
Welp, since the Spydiechef isn't getting much love with my ugly lock bar photos, here are some better shots showing off this beauty!

What is this knife
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Umm... the Spydiechef that is talked about through out this post that I made. ;)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Zatx wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:24 pm
Umm... the Spydiechef that is talked about through out this post that I made. ;)
Lol thought it was a bigger knife from the picture and the clip is different.

Where did you get the clip?
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

My thumb hurts and my nail is broken. I must have opened and closed this thing 500 times and I think the lock stick is getting worse.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 pm
My thumb hurts and my nail is broken. I must have opened and closed this thing 500 times and I think the lock stick is getting worse.
Hi, SpyderSeth:
I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I would definitely recommend that you send your knife in for evaluation by our W&R department. You'll be in good hands with our crew and we'll do our best to make it right. You'll find all of the information you need in my previous post or here, https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:22 am
Hi, SpyderSeth:
I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I would definitely recommend that you send your knife in for evaluation by our W&R department. You'll be in good hands with our crew and we'll do our best to make it right. You'll find all of the information you need in my previous post or here, https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/.

Kristi
Thanks. I have an inquiry in with the retailer. If they are unable or unwilling to exchange it I will send it in. The only reason I am hesitant to send it in is that I am looking for a new job and I am not sure where I will be living 1-2 months from now, or however long the evaluation process takes.
JimP

Post by JimP »

Every Taichung framelock I’ve owned has the same cabidized lock face as shown in the pics, that includes 2x first gen Spydiechef’s, 3x Techno’s, a K2 and a Slysz Bowie. So it’s not a new thing and just like on CRKs it can wear through, my well used Spydiechef has worn through the carbidizing and developed a little lock stick, but nothing too bad, before that it had some lock wedge which for me makes it feel solid and inspired a certain amount of confidence. Good news is that after hundreds or maybe thousands of openings the lock bar hasn’t moved at all.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

No they do not, I own two Spydiechefs with ceramic ball CQI and neither have a lock faces that looks like that.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:43 am
Thanks. I have an inquiry in with the retailer. If they are unable or unwilling to exchange it I will send it in. The only reason I am hesitant to send it in is that I am looking for a new job and I am not sure where I will be living 1-2 months from now, or however long the evaluation process takes.
Hey, Seth:
If you change your mind just include a note to please e-mail you prior to any shipment back to you to confirm your address. We'd be happy to take a look at it and based on what you've described, we'd prefer to be able to evaluate it and figure out what's happening. In the end, we just want to make it right.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Looks like I will have to send it in. The retailer is bailing on me.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

JimP wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:00 am
Every Taichung framelock I’ve owned has the same cabidized lock face as shown in the pics, that includes 2x first gen Spydiechef’s, 3x Techno’s, a K2 and a Slysz Bowie. So it’s not a new thing and just like on CRKs it can wear through, my well used Spydiechef has worn through the carbidizing and developed a little lock stick, but nothing too bad, before that it had some lock wedge which for me makes it feel solid and inspired a certain amount of confidence. Good news is that after hundreds or maybe thousands of openings the lock bar hasn’t moved at all.

Kristi has stated in the past that Spyderco does not carbidize their knives and had never done so. Still waiting for word from her on whether that has changed or not with this iteration of the Spydiechef. I don't really have an opinion on whether the practice is a good or bad thing, but I sure would like to know what this is on my knife.
Ungeheur

Post by Ungeheur »

Hi all,

First time poster on this forum. I have just recently started collecting spyderco knives and look forward to sharing my opinion of the knives I am fortunate enough to get my hands on.

I have been waiting for the spydiechef to make a comeback for some time now. After seeing so many glowing reviews,I was dead set on this knife. The techno 2 was released while I was waiting—so I decided, what the heck—I’ll give it a shot while I wait.

Techno 2 is a fantastic knife. Buttery smooth action. No issues whatsoever with the lock bar. Beautiful fit and finish. The techno 2 got me really excited about the chef.

Long story short... received this newest iteration of the chef. This is not even in the same ballpark as the techno 2. My thumb can’t hang with the sharp hole and sticky lock bar.

Very disappointed.

I have a drunken on preorder. Hoping it live up to spyderco quality.
mikevin204

Post by mikevin204 »

Hey guys,

Just joined the forum to say that I also have this weird pattern on my Spydiechef lock face.

I believe that this is also playing a role in issues of lockup, it has fairly bad lock-stick, which I understand is pretty common for Ti frame locks and typically goes away. What bugs me more however, is if I open the knife slowly, the framelock will not lock properly and I can close the knife without disengaging the frame lock.

I think I am going to try to return it to the dealer I purchased it from for the sake of timeliness (going to be honest, I would like to be able to use this knife sooner rather than later).

I don't have a picture of it from when I took the knife apart to look at what was wrong, but I think it was decribed perfectly above: "gunk that will not wipe off".

I even attempted the old sharpie on the lock face of the blade trick, and it changed nothing what-so-ever.

On top of this my knife also seems to have slight detent rock (I think that's what it's called). When the knife is closed the blade can be moved up and down slightly without the detent actually leaving the detent hole on the blade.

So I think I just got a dud :(

I didn't make an account and post here to complain, sh** happens, I get it. I just wanted to share my experience and let others what's going on.

Thanks!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Would be nice to get a clear answer from Spyderco on this. Wonder what is going on?
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

What clip is that in your picture? looks nice
I ran out of room to list all my spyderco's :(