Sus410 Heavy scratched by my sink sponge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DOUBLE D

Sus410 Heavy scratched by my sink sponge

Post by DOUBLE D »

I have an endura in v-toku2 that I've been using somewhat regularly for a few months. I love the knife, the steel, and it's look with a patina so much that I bought a delica and second endura in v-toku2. But after using the endura for this short period of time, it's developed a ton of scratches on the sus410 part. Mostly what I use the knife for is cutting food, so I wash it in the sink when I'm done, and I realized today that's it's the sink sponge that's scratching the blade. Yes, the standard double sided sink sponge. I've used it on every cheap kitchen knife, on every folding knife I've ever owed, including aus-8, 8cr13mov, 440 steels, etc etc. Never have they scratched. And the endura is so scratched up, it looks like I scraped it back and forth on a brick. So needless to say, I'm just very disappointed and let down by Spyderco in this model. Especially after investing in three of them.
FK

Re: Sus410 Heavy scratched by my sink sponge

Post by FK »

I use very hot running water and new paper towels,,,, no problem with scratching.

You could polish out the marks on the 410 stainless cladding.

Regards,
FK
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Standard sink sponge as in one with a green scotchbrite side?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The Green scotch brite scratches everything - my old centofante III that I had got scratched that way
Joey

Post by Joey »

I was blown away when I noticed the scratches on my vtoku-2 dragonfly. I hadn’t done any cutting with it until I sliced off a chunk of cardboard from a box lid. Now I have a big scratch on the show side. The other side has scratches too, just not as big. Never seen a knife get scratched so easily..
I have to imagine there is a much better choice as far as the cladding steel is concerned.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Green scotch brite never scratched any other knives I had. Including cheap kitchen ones
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Green scotch brite scratched my stainless steel sink and my spyderco rwl34 mule. They make a blue scotch brite that is non scratch
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:09 pm
Green scotch brite scratched my stainless steel sink and my spyderco rwl34 mule. They make a blue scotch brite that is non scratch
That's the one they I have. The blue one. But I'm just saying, I've used the green on all my kitchen knives, with no problem
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

When you scratched the blade with the sponge there had to be something trapped on the sponge that did the scratching. Think about it logically.

Joe
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sorry that happened.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:30 pm
When you scratched the blade with the sponge there had to be something trapped on the sponge that did the scratching. Think about it logically.

Joe
That's my thought as well, something stuck inside it that's hard.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 pm
The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Joe
That's my thought as well, something stuck inside it that's hard.

Shouldn't all my other knives be scratched them also... Logically.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SUS410 scratches easy enough with light use but green scourers as mentioned above scratch knife blades. I’d prefer something that didn’t scratch up so easily and if the scratches worried me enough I’d probably use that same scourer or something only slightly coarser and brush finish the blade spine to tip once in a while. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Green scrubbing/scouring pad (not the sponge) contains Chromium Oxide, which is same as the green polishing compound. It will scratch with enough pressure, especially when new.
They even make polishing wheel from same material.
For stainless utensils, we use pink one.
DOUBLE D wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 pm
Green scotch brite never scratched any other knives I had. Including cheap kitchen ones
That’s strange. It should scratch cheap knives but probably not S90V.

Alternatively, you can regularize the scratches with new green and run the blade only in one direction, do it slow & patiently. It’s going to remove Spydie logo and makers mark (Stretch has Sal’s on the other side).
Last edited by anagarika on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chris :spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Shouldn't all my other knives be scratched them also... Logically.
If the same part of the sponge contacted the different knife at the exact same time as it contacted the scratched one, then yes. That isn't possible though. I know how easy they scratch. Do you really think the sponge itself is capable of scratching steel? Not scotch brite, but new, clean sponge. Sponges do what they do. No surprises there but by themselves a real sponge without any trapped abrasives usually don't in my experience. I don't know which sponge you use and what condition it is. I don't use sponges on my knives ( that I care about anyways) because they are always full of stuff. I always use clean cloths on good knives for the same reason. There again if it's a user knife it's going to develop scratches from just about everything I use it for and it doesn't bother me. When it gets bad enough I re satin it by hand.

It is a given though that the cladding scratches easier than the higher hardness abrasive resistant steels Spyderco uses for the cutting edges on it's steel knives. Those are the steels that customers prefer in general but cladding is there for a different purpose and isn't going to have the same properties as the steel used for edges.

Joe
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The green Scotch-brite scratches most of my blades
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Dee

Post by Dee »

Use a Dobie as the kitchen sink sponge. Doesn't scratch.
Dee
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 pm

Green Scotch-Brite bad...Blue Scotch-Brite good. Words to live by! :)

Honestly though, the green scratches everything. Its only good for really tough jobs where you don't care about scratching. I've used the blue in my kitchen exclusively for years now after seeing too many things ruined by the green. The green even scratches glass! :eek: I have a stainless steel chain-mail scrubber I use to clean my cast iron and even my stainless All-Clad pans and it scratches less than the green scotch brite. Take them all out to the garage now and save them when they are really needed!

I'll tell you one thing that the green are great for. I use them to clean the wood handles of all of my yard tools with dawn soap and then I use boiled linseed oil to oil the handles after they dry. Not many uses other than that for me.

tl/dr - Green Scotch-Brite bad...Blue Scotch-Brite good :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The green Scotch-brite even scratches S110V. Verified 5 mins ago on a Native...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

Still cuts the same ;)
:unicorn