Spyderco Dump Tray

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Spyderco Dump Tray

Post by Mad Mac »

Recently, I ordered a dump tray, more formally known as a valet tray. Typically molded from Kydex these days and ranging in size from 5X8 to 11X13 and up to an inch deep, the raised sides help keep EDC kit corralled when emptying one's pockets and prevent items from marring surfaces and vice versa. Many holster makers offer them on the web.

Design possibilities are limited only by the imagination, but it occurred to me that Spydie enthusiasts might be interested in having one with a big "bug" embossed in it. Some dump trays are made from Baltaron and the Company already has a connection with a knife sheath maker using that material.

But I could be wrong. I often am.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
zhyla

Re: Spyderco Dump Tray

Post by zhyla »

I think a lot of the new product suggestion threads could be solved by giving all the forum members some really nice Spyderco logo stickers to put on all our stuff.

Curious why they make these out of kydex. Just easy to mold?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I've been using an old cafeteria tray for a few years now, so I'd be all over a Spyderco dump tray.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

That's my guess. The holster makers are already using Kydex and know how to mold it.
The valet trays of old were made from wood or formed from metal and lined with velvet.
That kind of work would price them out of the market today.
The biggest expense of a Kydex or Baltoran tray would be the initial cost of the mold.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I wouldn't buy a non leather one, but that's just me of course. I passionately dislike Kydex :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I use a bowl hogged out of a cypress stump in the kitchen; I picked it up from a local craft fair a few years back. I also use a big crystal ash tray in my bedroom. When I get home I dump my pockets (except knives and light) into the cypress bowl. Those either stay in the pants I’ll probably wear again tomorrow or go in the crystal ash tray.