No more love for the Rhino ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

No more love for the Rhino ?

Post by elena86 »

I bought mine just as a collector piece but... I remember the frenzy before and just after it came to life... :confused: It's interesting to say at least ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mom3ntuM

Re: No more love for the Rhino ?

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I really like the rhino, but i tend to carry bigger knives. That said i carried it yesterday for my Sisters birthday.
It falls in the category of discrete gentlemanfolders for me and i'm 99% blue collar.
:)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Love mine, posted a few times in the Rhino comparisons thread but it’s been quiet. Post there to revive it perhaps?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:12 pm
I really like the rhino, but i tend to carry bigger knives. That said i carried it yesterday for my Sisters birthday.
It falls in the category of discrete gentlemanfolders for me and i'm 99% blue collar.
:)
Just looked at depictions of the Rhino (never handled one), but if it is a gentlemanfolder than the one for blue collar guys... with it's seemingly rather stout blade (3mm stock, that's quite thick for such a small knife...)..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Quite right, I have no more love for the Rhino, which is why I sold it. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice piece in design and execution. I just prefer the Lil Native more, and this is because I highly prefer Golden Compression Locks over Taichung Compression Locks. The only thing the Rhino and Lil Native are missing is jimping.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm holding out for an XL / four finger grip version.

The design itself appeals to me....it always did. The size is my only hang up.
:unicorn
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I still like mine a lot. I improved it the other day by making the detent stronger. It’s the smallest knife I carry, but yeah, it feels much more capable than it’s size would suggest.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Didn't fit my hand all that well. I love the design, but I'm with Vivi on this one, we need an XL.

I still need to get around to buying a chinook 4.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I had a feeling this would be a flash in the pan kind of knife. I obviously held off. The small size and up swept blade deterred me. Haven't heard or seen anything about this knife in months. Kind of like many of the much anticipated sprints and exclusives that I'm assuming become safe queens or flipped for profit.

St Nick's Para 3 is a prime example! I feel like I'm the only one to have used this knife!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

TkoK83Spy wrote: I had a feeling this would be a flash in the pan kind of knife. I obviously held off. The small size and up swept blade deterred me. Haven't heard or seen anything about this knife in months. Kind of like many of the much anticipated sprints and exclusives that I'm assuming become safe queens or flipped for profit.

St Nick's Para 3 is a prime example! I feel like I'm the only one to have used this knife!
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 pm
I had a feeling this would be a flash in the pan kind of knife. I obviously held off. The small size and up swept blade deterred me. Haven't heard or seen anything about this knife in months. Kind of like many of the much anticipated sprints and exclusives that I'm assuming become safe queens or flipped for profit.

I like the Rhino...just haven't gotten to it yet :D

How do you like the 4V steel Rick? I plan on using mine (along with ESEE 6) during a college graduation trip for my daughter on the John Muir trail next year!

James
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

To be honest with you, I don't see much of a difference between the M4, Rex45 and 4V steels. Granted I'm not trying to cut into brass rods like deadboxhero showed us!

For the average, every day use. I consider these all quite similar and determine which I'll carry based on what color scheme I'm feeling...as lame as that may sound!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:22 pm
To be honest with you, I don't see much of a difference between the M4, Rex45 and 4V steels. Granted I'm not trying to cut into brass rods like deadboxhero showed us!

For the average, every day use. I consider these all quite similar and determine which I'll carry based on what color scheme I'm feeling...as lame as that may sound!
Doesn’t sound lame to me. If color is the big differentiating feature, it makes perfect sense.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I liked it, but the upswept blade just didn't work for me, so we parted ways.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

I love mine. The size is excellent, ergos work very well for me, and the blade shape is something I’ve never tried before. And it looks the business, the CF ply looks nice and feels great.

One odd thing I will say is that the very end of the blade sticks up through the compression lock opening, so much so you could practically flip the blade open.

Next up for me is the blue Meerkat.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Turn it into a nice, traditional clip point, and I'd buy it, despite the comp lock I don't like. It's a good looking knife, though.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I was a bit worried about the upswept blade myself as I typically like wharncliffe and modified wharnie blades but the combination of handle ergos and short blade make for a really useful knife. I thought like a larger version too,(might still) seriously looked at the Chinook but I have a K2 and needed to mod the tip as it caught on things. I suspect I’d have the same issue with a Rhino xl if it was too big. As it is the Rhino allows for 3 fingers in the grooves and pinky wraps around the end nicely. It is a good fit for my lrg-xl hands. (See Rhino comparisons thread)
While the detent is light, I don’t find it an issue. The blade stays put when I want it to and the action is great.
My only real complaint is the clip. Stock clip retention was fine but I found it uncomfortable in use. I quickly swapped it out for a standard Benchmade deep carry I had. It’s perfect on the knife. Good retention and comfortable, added plus is it almost disappears in pocket.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Well, i stood on the platform while the hype train went by, a hundred coaches long :)
I've nothing against it but never wanted one enough to actually buy one.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:22 pm

I figured as much...thanks for your honestly Rick. I'm moderately color blind so even the handle scales (orange to red, black to dark green etc) arn't that big a deal :rolleyes: Believe it or not, I gravitate to the DLC bladed knives more then satin or Stonewashed! Looking forward to carving some wood with the 4V Para 3.

James
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I love mine. It fits in the hand so nicely. Disappears in the pocket with a deep carry clip.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:58 am
Well, i stood on the platform while the hype train went by, a hundred coaches long :)
I've nothing against it but never wanted one enough to actually buy one.
I’m the same- it’s a cool design but not $200 cool.