No more love for the Rhino ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: No more love for the Rhino ?

Post by knivesandbooks »

I enjoy mine. The design could be better. I saw the designer making a Lannys Clip pattern. Looks very good.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I bought this knife for a few reasons, to support a design by one of our forum members, because I love small knives, and it's upswept blade shape was different from what I had and I wanted something different.

Why I don't carry it much.....

Well as someone else mentioned, Taichung's compression lock action was 'less than impressive'. Not even close to the action on the Lil Native. I did some pivot adjustments on the Rhino, but couldn't get it dialed in exactly how I like it (perhaps I'll take it apart and give it another try sometime).

Another reason, again in comparison to the little native, it's not a true ambidextrous opening knife, and I carry my small knives on my left. Yes you CAN open it left handed but it's not as easy as right handed opening, and the poor compression lock action makes closing it left handed a little awkward as well. Left handed carry is doable, but awkward.

Lastly, I like having an upswept blade because it's different from what I usually cary... but in carrying it, I am reminded why I prefer more of a straight edge wharncliffe style blade to a blade with a lot of belly. Again it's fun to change it up every once in a while, but it's not a blade shape I would edc.

It's a great design, Michael did an outstanding job, and Spyderco made it with great materials. If the compression lock action were improved, and the knife was a little easier to handle left handed I would carry it more often.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

As a lefty I find it fantastic! Left handed Spydie flick. Easy to pinch and slow roll thumb opening. Closing is simple, either two step or flick closed.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:07 pm
I bought mine just as a collector piece but... I remember the frenzy before and just after it came to life... :confused: It's interesting to say at least ...
I expect it's similar to any new knife release. Everyone raves over the pics, asks for specs, asks how much longer till it's out, and so forth. Then it comes out and:

-They didn't like it once they actually got it in hand
-They didn't have the cash to get it
-They got it, or didn't get it, but got distracted by the next shiny
-They got it, liked it, but didn't post anything about it

Well I finally got mine last week. Carried it throughout the work week, and it's in my pocket as I type. I like it quite a bit.

I work in hospital admissions/registrations. Pocketknives are not viewed as favorably as when I worked in EMS & Patient care. My normal EDC rotation consists of a Spyderco Delica FFG in brown FRN, a Benchmade Bugout, and a Steelwill Mini-Intrigue. I use to carry a Kershaw Dividend in M390, but the assisted opening made some people look at it negatively. My Delica is the most comfortable in my hand, but is the largest. The Mini-Intrigue is slim, but while not a AO, is still a flipper. The Bugout has a lot going as it's unobtrusive with a deep carry clip.

The Rhino gives me a smaller, slimmer knife than my Delica, but with a better steel and a stronger lock. I wear L/XL gloves and find the 3 finger grip of the Rhino pretty comfortable & secure. The upswept blade presented more of a challenge in sharpening, but I think I got the hang of sharpening it now. So far it's only been used to cut some paper at work and break down a cardboard box at home. The edge is still shaving sharp, though I'll probably strop it tonight. Since I can't use my left arm/hand I don't worry about how ambidextrous set-up a knife is. My Rhino opens & closes smoothly using my thumb. I'm not into Spydie-flicking knives open, or loosening the pivot so it falls free. Lock-up is secure without any up/down/side-to-side movement.

About my only complaint, and it's personal preference, is the shiny pocketclip. At work less noticeable is good. I'm thinking about getting a spare Bugout clip since it supposedly has the same hole configuration. I don't like the look of the MXG clips I've seen. Or I might just try to get the factory clip stonewashed or ceracoated.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I love my Rhino and I have compared it favorably with Sal’s best LBK designs. I’m right handed, but carry on my left and I have found it very easy to open and close with my left hand.
If the designer’s larger model gets made, I will get one of those as well. I’ll have to wait until they hit the used market as I did with Rhino, however.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

For a long while I carried both the Rhino and Lil’ Native compression lock. As with many designs you have to carry and use them for some significant period In order to see which one best fits you. In my experience the differences between the two designs are often not very significant. For example, the blade thickness when one is actually using the knives for various cutting tasks is not a significant factor. I suppose in some rare situations blade thickness may come into play but I never found it in issue.

I found the Rhino’s handle design fit my hand very well. It was comfortable and secure even though it is a small knife. However the Lil’ Native’s handle design is such that it is more accommodating for different cutting grips and the Rhino is not as adaptable.

Contrary to other comments I found no significant difference between to two compression locks.

After month of carrying each pretty much on a daily basis I found that I preferred the Lil’ Native. Why? Blade shape: the Lil’ Native blade was generally more suited to my cutting needs. Overall ergonomics: while the Rhino’s ergonomics are stellar and well executed they are somewhat limiting compared to the Lil’ Native. While one can certainly use the Rhino in various grips the Lil’ Native tends to encourage this.

Although I have sold most of my modest collection — bills pile up — if I was to buy another it would be a decision between the Lil’ Native and the new LW Para 3. I would like to see some decent comparison reviews between those two.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I did a clip swap with a steelflame clip I had on one of my Emersons. Took the knife apart cleaned it up, oiled it....
The action is... ok. It's a toss up between no blade play and stiff action, or a little blade play and smooth action. I shot for somewhere in between. I'm hoping it breaks in a little. Going to try and carry it more.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I bought one at Shot Show last year. It is a fine knife, but it was beaten by the Baby Horn for the small knife slot.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

awa54

Post by awa54 »

Extra330SC wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote: I had a feeling this would be a flash in the pan kind of knife. I obviously held off. The small size and up swept blade deterred me. Haven't heard or seen anything about this knife in months. Kind of like many of the much anticipated sprints and exclusives that I'm assuming become safe queens or flipped for profit.

St Nick's Para 3 is a prime example! I feel like I'm the only one to have used this knife!
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 pm
I had a feeling this would be a flash in the pan kind of knife. I obviously held off. The small size and up swept blade deterred me. Haven't heard or seen anything about this knife in months. Kind of like many of the much anticipated sprints and exclusives that I'm assuming become safe queens or flipped for profit.

St Nick's Para 3 is a prime example! I feel like I'm the only one to have used this knife!

I like the Rhino...just haven't gotten to it yet :D

How do you like the 4V steel Rick? I plan on using mine (along with ESEE 6) during a college graduation trip for my daughter on the John Muir trail next year!

James

I use the 4V Para 3 too! Honestly, I'd carry it more if it wasn't red/DLC... 4V may be the easiest steel to get a high polish edge on since Blue Super.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...