Do I need a Chaparral LW?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ruudr

Do I need a Chaparral LW?

Post by Ruudr »

Hi,

I’m looking at the Chaparral LW for a few weeks now but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
The Native 5 in Maxamet is my light weight knife now. Is the difference noticable in carry, usability and strength?
Zatx

Re: Do I need a Chaparral LW?

Post by Zatx »

Of course, you need both!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

What does need have to do with it? Just buy one, it's a great little knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ruudr wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 pm
Hi,

I’m looking at the Chaparral LW for a few weeks now but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
The Native 5 in Maxamet is my light weight knife now. Is the difference noticable in carry, usability and strength?
I actually SOLD my Native 5 recently to purchase a Chaparral LW instead... It's great. Almost the same edge length as the Native, but much smaller in the pocket, better slicer and perfect fit and finish (not that the Natives's is bad, don't get me wrong).
One of the knifes I'll never get rid of, and that means something, for I generally prefer blades in the Endura size range..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:17 pm
Ruudr wrote:
Hi,

I actually SOLD my Native 5 recently to purchase a Chaparral LW instead... It's great. Almost the same edge length as the Native, but much smaller in the pocket, better slicer and perfect fit and finish (not that the Natives's is bad, don't get me wrong).
One of the knifes I'll never get rid of, and that means something, for I generally prefer blades in the Endura size range..
Hmm that means someting. I think I just go for it :)
I had to much impuls buys last year. But whith a Spydie I never was wrong.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ruudr wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:17 pm
Ruudr wrote:
Hi,

Hmm that means someting. I think I just go for it :)
I had to much impuls buys last year. But whith a Spydie I never was wrong.
Yeah, go for it! If you want a knife in that particular size range you indeed can´t go wrong - even more so as with Spyderco generally imho.

Concerning your question in your op: For me: Difference in carry IS noticable (Chap carries better. Be it unclipped inside a zippered pocket, be it IWB, be it in the coin-pocket of jeans). Difference in usability IS noticable (Chap is better suited for the tasks you normally will perform with a knife of that size). Concerning strength: For me the Chap feels even stronger and more solid build than the Native. BUT: Most likely when tested to some silly extrem the thicker Native blade will be stronger obviously.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I sold my Chaparral-
It’s a good knife And a great slicer but I think the blade isnt quite long enough for stuff like cutting apples
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Native is a stout blade with (for me) an awkward handle. The Chap is a thin blade with a thin handle and the best FRN texturing Spyderco has ever done. As was said above, for things you would expect to do with a small knife the Chap is the clear winner.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 pm
I sold my Chaparral-
It’s a good knife And a great slicer but I think the blade isnt quite long enough for stuff like cutting apples
I found out the hard way that the Delica (at 2 mm longer blade) is just long enough to cut an apple *and* open up the palm of my hand :O
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Daveho wrote:
I sold my Chaparral-
You´re probably right. But the blade of the Native isn´t either, and the OP looks for an alternative to the Native that carries even better as far as I understood.. and the blade THICKNESS (or better THINNESS) of the Chap is better suited for slicing an apple imho (though the apple should be a rather small one... ;) )
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:53 pm
Daveho wrote:
I sold my Chaparral-
I found out the hard way that the Delica (at 2 mm longer blade) is just long enough to cut an apple *and* open up the palm of my hand :O
Haha been there!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Wartstein wrote:
Daveho wrote:
I sold my Chaparral-
You´re probably right. But the blade of the Native isn´t either, and the OP looks for an alternative to the Native that carries even better as far as I understood.. and the blade THICKNESS (or better THINNESS) of the Chap is better suited for slicing an apple imho (though the apple should be a rather small one... ;) )
If those 2 are your only choice then yeah absolutely although you can split an apple like a log with the wedge like native lol.
Something like the Delica would be my choice if that’s your use case but it depends what your doing with it
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Daveho wrote:
I sold my Chaparral-
If those 2 are your only choice then yeah absolutely although you can split an apple like a log with the wedge like native lol.
Something like the Delica would be my choice if that’s your use case but it depends what your doing with it
MY choice for cutting an apple is the Endura or Stretch that´s in my pocket 90 % of the time... ;)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Thats the way to do it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:52 pm
Thats the way to do it.
:)
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Ruud,
You definitely need a chaparral LW. Its thin blade is so much better at cutting stuff. I actually sold my Native 5 maxamet. Allright i am guilty...i kept my others, the s35vn and s90v fluted :D
Anyway, i carry the chap often in my front pocket. It is not noticable at all. A bit more lightweight than the Native. Oh, an important difference for me is that the chaparral has a small thumb ramp and the Native has not.
Choices, choices....
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Chap LW has moved ahead of my long time favorite the Native LW for me. If they did an Chap LW Salt is would be even better! I also wouldnt mind a Chap XL LW Salt for days when you want a slightly longer blade. But overall the Chap LW is pretty muchpl perfect and you need one for sure
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Daveho wrote:
I sold my Chaparral-
I did that, too. Ugly scar.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:11 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Daveho wrote:
I sold my Chaparral-
Haha been there!

That’s 3 fools on the same thread, then!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Love my Chap LW...am I weird because I eat an apple in my hand, biting off pieces and not slicing it up like I'm preparing lunch for my daughter??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick