Spyderco and law enforcement personnel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
500Nitro

Re: Spyderco and law enforcement personnel

Post by 500Nitro »

I must say I didn’t realise LEO’s are not well paid over in the US.

Also, over here in Aus work related items are tax detectable (power your tax paid) so everything purchased for and used for work is claimed - iphone, knives, torches, boots etc etc. probably skews purchases compared to other countries.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

One of the problems with LE in the U.S. is that there is a very wide disparity in pay, training, attitude, ect from state to state and even jurisdictions within states. Many are paid well and have good training, usually the ones that don't dominate the news cycle....

There is also a sort or urban legend or mythos that if you're a cop or military person that you know a lot about guns or knives. If you took a random sample of police vs the general public you certainly would have more knife/gun folks in the mix but for many of them its a tool for the job that they know or care very little about.

Work related purchases have historically been tax deductible here as well so that does help. Spyderco also has a generous LE/MIL discount program for first responders if you sign up.
FK

Post by FK »

Over the weekend I visited our local donut shop, sat down at a table next to CT State Trooper. When using my Endura to cut a bagel in half,,, the Trooper asked if I liked Spyderco knives. I also had my PM2 which the Trooper really admired.

We had an interesting discussion, he was a 21 year veteran and still carried the Endura purchased as a rookie. In addition, he had two other knives (not Spyderco), one with glass breaker carbide pin and one heavy duty CRKT for rough work.

Regards,
FK
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Wolfy916 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:29 am
There is also a sort or urban legend or mythos that if you're a cop or military person that you know a lot about guns or knives. If you took a random sample of police vs the general public you certainly would have more knife/gun folks in the mix but for many of them its a tool for the job that they know or care very little about.
This resonates strongly. I'm guessing that there are more "knife guys" or "gun guys" or "gear guys" or "EDC guys" in the general population than there are in professional trades - both as a percentage, and an absolute number.

Compare and contrast this to the countless "what knives do SEALs carry" conversations, and the general consensus that they carry almost everything and anything.
Last edited by bagsnatcher on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Patrol in my department is issued the Spyderco assist in all black. I know the marine unit uses the original jumpmaster as well.

Many officers I’ve talked to over the years carry a Delica.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:36 pm
Patrol in my department is issued the Spyderco assist in all black. I know the marine unit uses the original jumpmaster as well.

Many officers I’ve talked to over the years carry a Delica.
I wish we were issued nice knives. I have heard some depts specifically ban carrying a knife or discourage it which is stupid. Our policy is pretty silent on it and just mentions using non approved items as emergency self defense tools, which is fine.
FK

Post by FK »

An old friend, now retired from local PD, went on a call to assist. Walked into house and two officers were holding up a man who attempted to hang himself. They asked for help getting the rope untied,,, he had a knife and reached up with one quick swipe the victim was down and ready for EMT's to arrive.

The next week,, most of the department officers were carrying a Spyderco SE or Buck 110 (in a 45 auto pouch).

Regards,
FK