Spyderco new FRN Lightweights: What do you think will be the best?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco new FRN Lightweights: What do you think will be the best?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Spyderco has released the Endura Lt. Wt. with Wharncliffe blade.

Spyderco has also released the ParaMilitary Lt. Wt.

We have sal telling us that Spyderco will eventually release a Caly 3.5 Lt. Wt. FRN model.

And there is talk of very possible Military Lt. Wt. FRN.

Which of these are you most interested in or are you interested in all of them?

I love the Endura but I am especially interested in the Caly 3.5 FRN and Military FRN.

Will the Caly 3.5 FRN have a WIRE Clip or hourglass clip?
vivi

Re: Spyderco new FRN Lightweights: What do you think will be the best?

Post by vivi »

I have a hunch the FRN Police 4 will be, for me, the best folder Spyderco has made to date.

I'd be really surprised if the FRN Caly 3.5 isn't a wire clip.
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Police FRN is worth considering but I do not want anymore rusty steels like K390.

Military also gets my attention, but can a liner lock be done with FRN or are they discussing a compression lock? Personally I will take a Back lock over a compression lock any day of the week.

I was looking at the Para3 but it is just too tiny, the Steel BD1N is of interest but not that tiny little blade.

I really want to see more done with LC200N more than any other steel very very satisfied with it. A police 4 with LC200N would just be a killer combo. Also would not mind a police 4 in FRN and VG-10 at all.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I'm very interested to find out if the FRN models are any wider in the handle than existing G-10 varieties
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

Asking which is the "best" is quite subjective, and all depends on the criteria set forth. However, if you are asking which will be the most successful, I know my vote is for the new Para 3 LW. The recently released Native 5 Salt is also quite appealing to me.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

If they make an ambidextrous clip I'd totally go for a military.

Any idea if the blades will be swappable between the LW and G10?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:06 pm
Police FRN is worth considering but I do not want anymore rusty steels like K390.

Military also gets my attention, but can a liner lock be done with FRN or are they discussing a compression lock? Personally I will take a Back lock over a compression lock any day of the week.

I was looking at the Para3 but it is just too tiny, the Steel BD1N is of interest but not that tiny little blade.

I really want to see more done with LC200N more than any other steel very very satisfied with it. A police 4 with LC200N would just be a killer combo. Also would not mind a police 4 in FRN and VG-10 at all.
Sal said the FRN Police will come in VG10 first. That's a nice and corrosion resistant steel. Would be nice to see that come out this summer, otherwise I'll stick with my Pacific Salts.

Spyderco has made plenty of FRN liner locks. Cricket immediately comes to mind.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Thanks Vivi you are spot on 100% right about VG-10 I was late coming to it but will never be without it again. Glad he is starting with VG-10 I will buy one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 pm
Spyderco has released the Endura Lt. Wt. with Wharncliffe blade.

Spyderco has also released the ParaMilitary Lt. Wt.

We have sal telling us that Spyderco will eventually release a Caly 3.5 Lt. Wt. FRN model.

And there is talk of very possible Military Lt. Wt. FRN.

Which of these are you most interested in or are you interested in all of them?

I love the Endura but I am especially interested in the Caly 3.5 FRN and Military FRN.

Will the Caly 3.5 FRN have a WIRE Clip or hourglass clip?
You mean "released the Para 3 Lt. Wt.", right?! Though a PM 2 Lt.Wt. would be of much more interest for me personally,it´s more in the size range I prefer.

Of the ones you mentioned above I am by far most interested in a Caly 3.5 FRN... in fact VERY interested!! Noticeably shorter in closed length than even the Stretch, but offering even a little more edge, choil in the HANDLE for the most part, not in the blade, so sacrificing not too much edge, and all in an affordable, lightweight FRN - package... count me in!! What comes to my mind immidiately: Such a Caly will strongly compete with an "Endela" (I started a thread concerning this knife: Endura family, sized between Endura and Delica), given they will be in the same price category..(though I figure the Caly will feature better steel and be more expensive?!)

Concerning a Military LW: Someone discussed in a recent post, that it would be questionable how much LIGHTER in weight you could really make a Military: It is quite light right now, due to the only partial liners, a FRN model would maybe have to get longer liners to be strong enough?!
Still, it would be more affordable, and FRN has it´s advantages over G10 (and vice versa).

Imho they should and probably will come out with a PM2 LW before a Millie LW...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Why can’t there ever be a Caly 3 lightweight? 3.5 has too much blade packed in it. Doesn’t feel right.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Hasn't the Endura always been a "lightweight"? (Except for the SS and G10 models of course?
Or is the Wharnie even lighter in weight than the ordinary one?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Not too sure what will be the best but interesting times ahead.

Maybe the introduction of the Lightweights will pave the way to a new series of Salt models? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:36 am
Why can’t there ever be a Caly 3 lightweight? 3.5 has too much blade packed in it. Doesn’t feel right.
See, I'm the exact opposite. The 3 didn't have enough edge for me, whereas the 3.5 has become one of my favorites. The same goes for my Native 5. Once I purchased the Caly 3.5, the Native 5 was resigned to the safe.

Different strokes!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

The only lightweight I'm interested in is a PM2, mainly so I can have a PM2 with a wire pocket clip. I've never liked FRN because of the aggressive texturing on the scales, but the new LW PM3 has gone a completely different direction and more closely resembles sculpted G-10. If they stick with that design for a LW PM2, I'm all in.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Out of that group, only the Caly 3.5 intrigues me. The Endura lacks a 50/50 choil and is a bit too long to ride comfortably in my back pocket and the other two have wrong handed locks.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Frn Police in VG10. More is more!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PM2 LW with wire clip
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Omg please a solid super blue caly, and reg production, not a sprint run, so we can all get a chance! I've never used super blue but I love carbon steels!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Omg please a solid super blue caly, and reg production, not a sprint run, so we can all get a chance! I've never used super blue but I love carbon steels!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:36 am
ukpk is pretty close.