The tastes they are a-changin’

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

The tastes they are a-changin’

Post by Daveho »

Having moved on the vast majority of my collection and now am just keeping the favourites (5 knives if you can belive that Delica, sage 1, mini recon, ambitious and my envoy) one knife has caught my eye mostly for that drop point blade and for the fact that it’s a slip joint-
The knife is of cause the UK penknife, one of my fav sellers has a deal so it seems the lure is too great-
I would have loved to grab an S30v or s110v version however the bd1 is really a fine steel.

Pretty old hat at this point, I’m just late to the party
bdblue

Re: The tastes they are a-changin’

Post by bdblue »

Oh Grasshopper, you have a long way to go. In my case I had to go through 20+ years of knife collecting before I had some confidence that I could select some favorites and they would stay favorites for awhile. OTOH I wonder if it is ever possible to select permanent favorites. I've been collecting watches for a long time and the same thing applies to them.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have you gone through the fixed blade stage yet.

Once you feel comfortable with how you ended up with folders.

Fixed blades start showing up in the mail ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ve had hundreds of blade come and go so I’m pretty confident I know what I actually like enough to keep long term
I’m a hard pass on fixed blades-
I just don’t need one, I keep a generic Gerber in my tool box but really I just don’t need it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sometimes I surprised more folks don't go camping just to justify all the nices fixed blades out there :)

Enjoy the UKPK, it's a really good design. BD1 might not hold an edge the longest but **** does it get sharp.
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

This is starting to sound like the stages of addiction :)

I am currently in a reductionist mode selling off duplicates.

Once I have done this I will be looking at my Military collection harder and decide which steels are true keepers but I think I have done so well choosing they will all get kept. With the exception of the two currently being sold.

I have decided my Paramilitary2 days are done as are the para3 days.

Both are too small to me as I prefer my Police models and Military. I will keep one Paramilitary in S35VN and one partly serrated Para 3 in S30V.

The two other small blades I will keep are my Spydie chef and Stretches which are bigger than a PM 2 especially in cutting area and functionality.

I have a new Endura 4 bought with ebay bucks and do not like it at all, this will become a test knife for stone washing and ferric chloride acid baths.

Some of the Militaries like my M4 are going to get the Rit Dye treatment. Great steels but ugly color for the scales, Natural G10 just looks like it is supposed to glow in the dark or something but does not.

I have gone through some fixed blades and like the TRC K-1 bush-craft knife in Elmax allot and the Chris Reeve Nyala in S35Vn next one will be the Waterway in LC200N when it drops.

Gave away my Essee knives and a large D2 Steel Parang to a friend who does brush cutting as a land surveyor he loves it.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm trying to get myself from buying duplicates. I always get the whole "what-if" mindset. One for the safe, one for the pocket. But it feels stupid to do that. I feel justified buying 2 GEC knives of the same pattern, but have 3 pm2s, 8 or 9 delicas, etc...-- I gotta let some go.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:27 pm
I'm trying to get myself from buying duplicates. I always get the whole "what-if" mindset. One for the safe, one for the pocket. But it feels stupid to do that. I feel justified buying 2 GEC knives of the same pattern, but have 3 pm2s, 8 or 9 delicas, etc...-- I gotta let some go.
Yep exactly the same here.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I only buy duplicates of knives that are difficult to find, discontinued, or models I love that are under $50.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I did buy a duplicate of the Stretch2 in VG-10 because I am using it for Everything.

I did buy a HAP40 Stretch 1 and am looking to buy a stretch1 in VG-10 and perhaps super blue then I will be done stretching until Sal releases the next one.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm glad to find others are going thru similar sentiments & actions. I've said bye to the Manix, bye to Native 5's, no more PM2 except 1 but feel I'll be "reductioning" them in the not too distant future, bye to Mini Grips, and bye to a few Bark Rivers.

Me, fixed blades first, then folders. Always something of interest but the Delica 4 is the only one I've collect in quantity. I'm going to try a GEC somewhere down the road.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:58 pm
I'm glad to find others are going thru similar sentiments & actions. I've said bye to the Manix, bye to Native 5's, no more PM2 except 1 but feel I'll be "reductioning" them in the not too distant future, bye to Mini Grips, and bye to a few Bark Rivers.

Me, fixed blades first, then folders. Always something of interest but the Delica 4 is the only one I've collect in quantity. I'm going to try a GEC somewhere down the road.

CG
If you still have Barkies to part with, PM me. I've been shopping around for one this year. Leaning towards a Fox River but I'm still undecided.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

All those I was looking to part with are gone. Bravos and Gunnys and an ultra eye appealing Nomad.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have gotten to where the only knives that interest me are smaller, pocket sized knives, like the Urban LW and the Chaparral LW. I have plenty of larger knives and really do not have as much use for them as I do smaller knives. Smaller knives are what I need for day to day tasks. I am going to sell my full serrated Native 5 LW and a couple of others because of this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:58 pm

CG
I did the GEC thing for a while-
I like them enough but practically speaking they fall a bit short when u are used to the utility of a modern folder, that said I love Osage orange as a timber and GEC have offered a few with this timber.
Traditional archers, especially those familiar with the bows of the native Americans will appreciate this- truely a beautiful, perfect timber.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:27 pm
I'm trying to get myself from buying duplicates.
So I shouldn't mention "2 is 1 and 1 is none" and "a pair and a spare" ?
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm
Having moved on the vast majority of my collection and now am just keeping the favourites (5 knives if you can belive that Delica, sage 1, mini recon, ambitious and my envoy) one knife has caught my eye mostly for that drop point blade and for the fact that it’s a slip joint-
The knife is of cause the UK penknife, one of my fav sellers has a deal so it seems the lure is too great-
I would have loved to grab an S30v or s110v version however the bd1 is really a fine steel.

Are you shure it's bd1 and not bd1n,, my ukpk drop point came with bd1n, and has quite a bit better edgeretension.
On Lamnia where i bought it. The specs said bd1.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ain't no time or space for duplicates, viva variety!! :D

:spyder:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:47 am
Daveho wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Are you shure it's bd1 and not bd1n,, my ukpk drop point came with bd1n, and has quite a bit better edgeretension.
On Lamnia where i bought it. The specs said bd1.
I’m not sure when the change over was-
Hoping for the the bd1n but we will see I guess.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

It comes in both BD1 and BD1N and both are out there right now buy from a dealer and ask them to make sure which before shipping.