Spyderco Customizer: A future possibility or a forever dream?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Harkwit

Spyderco Customizer: A future possibility or a forever dream?

Post by Harkwit »

Hi guys,

I love the concept of Benchmade’s customizer, and I might actually be getting a custom griptillian from my fiancé that will be fighting my shaman for pocket space...

Will we ever potentially see a Spyderco customizer system, where we could order some of Spyderco’s most popular knives with our own desired scale color/material and blade steel? M390 Delica with red FRN? Maxamet Para 2 with carbon scales? LC200N Shaman? (Caribbean’s scales don’t appeal to me much)

I could see such a thing drastically bumping Spyderco’s American factory up in the demand market, but I know it’d probably require special equipment and new employees, but a man can dream, can’t he?
The Meat man

Re: Spyderco Customizer: A future possibility or a forever dream?

Post by The Meat man »

This idea has been discussed before. I like the concept but from what I remember it seems like a no go from Spyderco's viewpoint:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=80885
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Won't see it plausible for Spyderco in the foreseeable future.
Spyderco's manufacturing lines aren't as concentrated nor interchangeable like Benchmade or Leatherman, the two current major cutlery brands offering such services on limited models. Shipping, heat-treating, machining exotic steels in existing overseas factories can be time and resource consuming with little payback.
In fact the steady flow of sprint runs, dealer/distributor exclusives, limited production runs actually compensate well for similar outcomes. Just look at all the different version of Dragonfly, Delica, Endura, PM 2, Para 3, Manix, Military, Natives...... Provided one can acquire the desired handle/steel variations of a model, since the knives themselves being modular they can always be mixed and matched to create the one that meets one's own taste.

As of your specific suggestions, M390 would be a huge challenge for Seki workers, they have just recently adapted to S30V and that's a huge leap already. LC200N can now be heat treated in Golden plant but still mostly exclusive to Taichung models. Maxamet PM2 is absolutely doable.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Just to add to what's already been said, Sal Glesser has pretty much unequivocally nixed the idea of a customizable PM2 (or otherwise) shop. And his reasoning makes sense despite how "cool" the idea sounds (and it does), so it looks like we'll have to suffer through all this incredible variation in models and materials that Spyderco already provides without being able to custom order knives ;)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Mike51772

Post by Mike51772 »

This would be very cool, although I doubt it will ever happen based on reasons previously mentioned. Even if Spyderco just offered customization on 3-4 most popular models.......that would be really cool. It also would help people to access upgraded handles materials and steels if they miss out on dealer exclusives. It seems like what happens with the dealer exclusives is folks buy several of them abs then sell them on blade Forum or eBay for double or triple the price. Makes it harder for someone who buys knives to use and not ‘flip’ to get them.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:04 pm
...it looks like we'll have to suffer through all this incredible variation in models and materials that Spyderco already provides without being able to custom order knives ;)
Good point. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm wondering how many people here have bought a customized knife thru Benchmade's website. I've been there a few times; spent some time making one up and saved it away for another day; which has never come.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

This will only become reality when a downturn in the ebbs and flows of knife sales are felt by Spyderco. The brand is popular now so I would not expect to see it anytime soon. However like all industries there will come a time when the Spyderco Customizer will be created to generate more knife sales to help balance the books when normal knife sales channels are struggling. If I were Sypderco, I would keep this idea in my backup/recovery plan and use it when times are tough to keep the lights on.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

To be honest this would probably hurt sales from me more than help, because if I were able to choose whatever model/blade shape/edge type/steel/handle material/clip style/etc then I would buy a lot less knives. Sure, I'd spend a lot on a few but they would fill my needs and desires so well that everything else would become redundant.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

It is a shame that Spyderco is not likely to do a custom shop like Benchmade or Buck knives. I was hoping they would do something like that with their Golden made products.