How about a double edge dagger Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

How about a double edge dagger Spydie?

Post by archangel »

You know, of course I also look at other makers' knives. ;) But I can proudly say that I currently own less than 5 non-spydie knives, and only one is being carried often - just because it's a multitool, something that :spyder: isn't producing. :(

In fact I'd say that 90-95% of other makers' knives are not appealing to me design-wise. Simple truth.

But a Hinderer Maximus - that one I'd love to have......

Even better would be if Spyderco would offer something very similar! :) How about that? Who is with me?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
elena86

Re: How about a double edge dagger Spydie?

Post by elena86 »

I am with you. A Spyderco boot knife similar to Cold Steel Counter Tac II would be awesome !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's got to be a folder for me though.

Yes, I know, kills the spydiehole opening feature, because the blade needs to hide between the scales entirely. Oh well... Spydies are not solely defined through the spydiehole.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Small market, though. Daggers and dirks are illegal in many jurisdictions. Also, it’s only useful as a weapon, in my opinion.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:37 pm
A Spyderco boot knife
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I'd be interested in a fixed blade dagger Spyderco.

Some hybrid between the current Fish Hunter and the long missed Kumo would be very nice indeed- especially in a supersteel.
I'd take a hint from the SOG Pentagon and have one edge plain and the other edge full spyderedge- best of both worlds.

Not sure a folder dagger from Spyderco would work- the closest right now is the Euroedge and I can't envisage that double edge while retaining the spyderhole.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
archangel

Post by archangel »

Well, you can still cut your apple with it. Spyderco does have some tactical folders even as inhouse designs, and collaborations like the Tighe Stick or the Szabo Folder are not much of a carton cutting tool...

One side plain, one side spyderedge - why not?
Michael
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've given thought to that idea on a couple of occasions. Actually we've got a past model that with a longer blade could make for an excellent double-edged dagger. I'm speaking of the older C-56 Zowada model that Spyderco had in the early 2000 decade. I've owned 3 of those over the years and I've often thought with the type of blade design it has that it would make an excellent double-edged dagger type folder ( or even a fixed blade for that matter).

Truly I think that the old Zowada model with some modifications is already set up for that type of design.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I actually own a fixed blade dagger bought at Home Depot. It is made by/for Malco for cutting flexible HVAC ducts. One side is plain, the other serrated. Maybe 5” blade. Probably 440A steel.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Ugh. Now you made me go look it up. That thing is calling out to me. I think it's beautiful.
vivi

Post by vivi »

archangel wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:48 pm
Well, you can still cut your apple with it. Spyderco does have some tactical folders even as inhouse designs, and collaborations like the Tighe Stick or the Szabo Folder are not much of a carton cutting tool...

Szabo folders work great on cardboard, especially with a thinned out edge :D Does camp food prep well enough too.

What would this hypothetical folding dagger offer that a euro edge sharpened on both sides would not?
:unicorn
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

For a fixed blade option, the easiest solution is to just sharpen the swedge of Fish Hunter, FB40SYL. It already sports a symmetrical spear point blade with hollow ground on each side.
For a folding option, maybe Janisong, C191GP would be a good start. The blade is fully contained when closed, and it's restricted item anyways. Might be tricky to lay hands on though.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
archangel

Post by archangel »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:04 pm
archangel wrote:

Szabo folders work great on cardboard, especially with a thinned out edge :D Does camp food prep well enough too.

What would this hypothetical folding dagger offer that a euro edge sharpened on both sides would not?

I love the Szabo. But I consider it a self defense tool, and not much more. For food prep, even *I* have a couple spydies that suit this more. :)

If you sharpen the other side of the Euro edge, you better don‘t try to carry it inside any pocket cause the sharpened edge sticking out off the scales will carve ya, right. ;) Or am I missing something.
Michael
vivi

Post by vivi »

archangel wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:33 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:04 pm
archangel wrote:

I love the Szabo. But I consider it a self defense tool, and not much more. For food prep, even *I* have a couple spydies that suit this more. :)

If you sharpen the other side of the Euro edge, you better don‘t try to carry it inside any pocket cause the sharpened edge sticking out off the scales will carve ya, right. ;) Or am I missing something.
Good point, I never did look at the euroedge that closely. Double checking photos you're correct.

FFG and thinner blade stock definitely work better for food prep, but sometimes you just wanna use a "fun" design :D
:unicorn
archangel

Post by archangel »

funghiman wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 pm
For a folding option, maybe Janisong, C191GP would be a good start. The blade is fully contained when closed, and it's restricted item anyways. Might be tricky to lay hands on though.

You're probably right. But it's not what I'm looking for. I'm dreaming of a double edge symmetrial blade and symmetrical scales folding dagger. *sigh*
Michael
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

archangel wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:12 am
funghiman wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 pm

You're probably right. But it's not what I'm looking for. I'm dreaming of a double edge symmetrial blade and symmetrical scales folding dagger. *sigh*
It would be tricky to close a double edged folding knife though, unless with an "assisted closing" mechanism like the one seen on the Szabo Folder. But again symmetry would be a challenge if Spydie hole is intended to be the main opening method, especially after taking the extra resistance into account.
Gravity opening might still be the easier solution in terms of technology.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
archangel

Post by archangel »

Like I said before, the Spydiehole would just be a trademark symbol here. Flipper seems most natural for such a design.

Maybe there must be a push button to unlock the blade, and when it's pushed the blade gravity-swings back in. If that's doable. How's a Maximus closed?
Michael
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The maximus is a frame lock and you use the quillons to close and open it. At this point I would say just buy the maximus. Sure it cost more but I feel like spyderco wouldn't make this knife for years if they ever did. I wish I had bought an original Janisong years ago when that dark predatory bird company made them. By the time spyderco made it they decided not to release it in the US market. So I waited years for nothing. Also hinderer is using 20cv so that's another plus.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’m sitting here reading this and

💡

How about a new balisong/butterfly knife?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A double edged knife would restrict it's legality in some states and cities.
The Sustain was supposed to be DE, but Sal wisely chose to allow the user to modify the false edge.