C68 Gunting

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

C68 Gunting

Post by Larry_Mott »

I just got the Gunting G68GP and C68GTR (Trainer) now, i have handled one before, once a couple of years ago. Back then i didn't think about the compression lock being "reversed" as for a left handed user. Both these are. From pictures i have found online they all seem to be like that. What's the story, if there is one behind the "southpaw comp lock"?

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
VashHash

Re: C68 Gunting

Post by VashHash »

I think it was Bram that wanted them made this way.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Ok. I wonder why? Although i can see the point in a lot of things on this knife after watching a couple of videos that question still remains.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larry,

This began when Bram designed a knife that REKAT was going to make called the "Escalator". We were planning to use the Rolling lock and make the knife OEM for REKAT. Then REKAT had a falling out with Bram and they dropped the project. We had already gone up the street and down the block with the design, so we decided to go ahead with the design as a Spyderco, but we needed a lock since REKAT changed their mind and would not let us use his Rolling lock. We invented the Compression in-house (on demand) , because we needed a lock strong enough for MBC use. We used the Gunting to intro the lock. Bram felt that the lock would work better for his design reversed, so we made the knife that way to honor his request. All other Compression locks have been made as we invented and designed the lock to be.

Hope that helps?

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 am
Hi Larry,

This began when Bram designed a knife that REKAT was going to make called the "Escalator". We were planning to use the Rolling lock and make the knife OEM for REKAT. Then REKAT had a falling out with Bram and they dropped the project. We had already gone up the street and down the block with the design, so we decided to go ahead with the design as a Spyderco, but we needed a lock since REKAT changed their mind and would not let us use his Rolling lock. We invented the Compression in-house (on demand) , because we needed a lock strong enough for MBC use. We used the Gunting to intro the lock. Bram felt that the lock would work better for his design reversed, so we made the knife that way to honor his request. All other Compression locks have been made as we invented and designed the lock to be.

Hope that helps?

sal
Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify, appreciate it much!
I have now watched a couple of videos featuring Bram, it looks like the knife he use in the video is 99% identical to the Spyderco, but there are subtle differences. Regardless, the design/whole knife makes a lot more sense now than it did when i first saw it, and (quite honestly) thought to myself "what a horrible looking knife!" Sometimes you have to see the purpose of it demonstrated to make sense.
All the best!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know what I'm going to bring up in an extremely minor item on the GUNTING model>> but I've said it many times and I've wished someone would listen. The pocket-clip on the GUNTING model in my humble opinion is about the best one Spyderco ever made. I would love to have one on any of my C-36 Military models>> or any other bigger Spyderco folders.

I just loved the contour and overall design. Every time I ever carried one of the GUNTINGS I ever owned I never had to worry at all about losing it. It was not only a really nice looking pocket clip I do believe it's also one of the most functional as well. I know that a Sprint Run of the GUNTING will probably not ever happen but I would like to see that particular pocket clip come back.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

The spoon clip was ram's idea. We were putting holes in clips for rotation. When we decided to go our separate ways, we left him his clip, so you won't see that clip on any Spyderco.

sal
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

How interesting
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara