Most efficient everyday cutting chore blade shape, grind, and thickness?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

Re: Most efficient everyday cutting chore blade shape, grind, and thickness?

Post by embry386 »

Some points that make a good EDC knife blade shape, in my experience and for my uses:

• After some experience with both needle-pointed knives (Endura 3) and very broad-pointed knives (sheepsfoot Rescues) as well as some knives in the middle (Endura 4, Native 5), I've come to the conclusion that the ones with the broader tips are better at most of the things I need a knife for. Food prep (spreading stuff on sandwiches) is a major reason. I wouldn't want a knife with the tip entirely rounded off because I like being able to get into clam packs and points are good for that, but the point on my sheepsfoot blades is plenty for that.
  • A small amount of belly is nice for some things (food prep again), but a little goes a long way. Too much belly means that materials tend to slip off the end of the knife before being cut. The Endura 4 has too much belly for my liking. I wish my sheepsfoot knives came with a very tiny amount of belly.
  • LONG blades are important. 3.5 inches is about my minimum these days. Too much shorter and the materials just slip off the end before I can really get a good slice through them.
  • Serrations are awesome (and make the knife prettier too). An inch or so of plain edge at the tip would probably increase the utility of the knife in some ways, but it'd decrease it for me; when the serrations run all the way to the tip it is much easier to hook the tip of the knife under a zip tie that's wrapped around a bundle of cables and cut the zip tie... which is a very specific scenario that many people might not encounter much, but I encounter it a lot. So the serrations all the way to the tip are awesome for me.
  • Flat-ground knives with a distal taper are very good at slicing with a minimum of resistance.
  • Thinner blade stock is good too, I'd like a bit thinner than the Endura -- there are definitely many cases in which a person might want a knife as thick as the Endura, but for anything short of using it like a crowbar to pry things or stabbing through tough metal cans, a thinner knife should be great, and the extra sliciness more than makes up for the slight loss of strength in an EDC knife (at least the way I use my knives).
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

embry386 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 am

• .....Too much belly means that materials tend to slip off the end of the knife before being cut. ..
  • LONG blades are important. 3.5 inches is about my minimum these days. Too much shorter and the materials just slip off the end before I can really get a good slice through them.
  • Serrations are awesome (and make the knife prettier too). An inch or so of plain edge at the tip would probably increase the utility of the knife in some ways, but it'd decrease it for me; when the serrations run all the way to the tip it is much easier to hook the tip of the knife under a zip tie that's wrapped around a bundle of cables and cut the zip tie... which is a very specific scenario that many people might not encounter much, but I encounter it a lot. So the serrations all the way to the tip are awesome for me.
  • Flat-ground knives with a distal taper are very good at slicing with a minimum of resistance.
You ever tried out the Hawkbill Dragonfly Embry? I too encounter zip tied bundles of cable often. I've found there's no tool better for the job than the HBDfly. And nothing keeps material from sliding of your blade like a hawkbill.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
embry386

Post by embry386 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:36 am
embry386 wrote:

• .....Too much belly means that materials tend to slip off the end of the knife before being cut. ..
You ever tried out the Hawkbill Dragonfly Embry? I too encounter zip tied bundles of cable often. I've found there's no tool better for the job than the HBDfly. And nothing keeps material from sliding of your blade like a hawkbill.
I've tried the Dragonfly, and the handle does not get along with my hands at all. It's a shame, because you're right: a small hawkbill would be the perfect tool for cutting zip ties. Been considering one of those small Byrd FRN hawkbills.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I thought I was the only one!
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

There's always the Tasman
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I hear what people say about the belly sliding off and it is true this can happen but if you have good control as is offered with the Stretch series it is a non-issue I looked for the belly to catch it there just right, The Stretch2 does not disappoint.

I can always use the flat portion but a weak belly can’t be made up for.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

embry386 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:36 am
embry386 wrote:

I've tried the Dragonfly, and the handle does not get along with my hands at all. It's a shame, because you're right: a small hawkbill would be the perfect tool for cutting zip ties. Been considering one of those small Byrd FRN hawkbills.
Give it a try. I like it a lot.
Chris :spyder:
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:09 pm
I thought I was the only one!
Ha, definitely not the only one. I'm very picky about ergos, and it can be tricky to find ones that work with my hands. So many cool knives Ive had to pass up, because of that... I'm pretty happy with my current set of knives though.

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:49 pm
I hear what people say about the belly sliding off and it is true this can happen but if you have good control as is offered with the Stretch series it is a non-issue I looked for the belly to catch it there just right
Unfortunately I have problems with the belly sliding off no matter how much control the handle offers. Blades with much less belly work better for me and for my uses.

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:15 pm
There's always the Tasman
anagarika wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:11 pm
embry386 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 pm
Been considering one of those small Byrd FRN hawkbills.
Give it a try. I like it a lot.
Hmm, both would probably be good options... Also the mini version of the Matriarch, which has a cool and unique blade shape but is much more expensive. I've gotta spend some time thinking about this.

On another note, I've been thinking about the original topic of this thread over the last few days, and I've come to the conclusion that the upcoming Smock has pretty much my ideal blade shape. I don't like the non-flat grind, or the non-FRN handle, so I won't be buying it -- but the profile is gorgeous and perfect. Sheepsfoot, with a very slight belly. That's the ideal blade shape for my EDC purposes.