What do you consider the most practical EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's the most practical EDC setup in your eyes?

One folding knife (Locking -or- slipjoints)
31%
Two folding knives
10%
Three folding knives
5%
Folder + fixed blade
1%
Folder + multitool
38%
Folder + fixed blade + multitool
3%
One fixed blade
No votes
Fixed blade + multitool
2%
One multitool
5%
OTHER (Explain in comments)
6%

Total votes: 88

Evil D

Re: What do you consider the most practical EDC?

Post by Evil D »

Folder and a MT, everyday everywhere no exceptions.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I voted folder plus multitool. I usually have one locking Spyderco folder and a medium SAK, plus a Classic SAK on my keychain. The Classic gets most use from the scissors, toothpick, and tweezers.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Single folding knife, sometimes with multitool (the multitool is for bike stuff, allen keys, etc.)
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A Military model Spyderco and a Bank Debit Card. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

At home, one or two folders, maybe a Swiss Army. Out, a large and small folder, lately one SE. At work, two folders, plus a Leatherman old style Wave, and Swiss Army.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Voted other, the most practial for me would be a utilityknife and a multitool.. But a utilityknife is no fun so i sharpen a lot instead.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Just a single folding knife for me. Guess I'm boring. :( :p
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Two folders: A larger folding knife and a slipjoint traditional or a SE and a PE.

I keep a multi tool in my bag but not my pockets
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

Usually a single folder is more than enough. Usually a caly 3 or para 3. Though lately I've been pairing a dragonfly and a Microtech OTF. If for no other reason than they are now legal.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Most days I just carry a single folder.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Except on very rare occasions, there's a 3 blade stockman in my pocket.
Even less rare occasions, there's a ~3 inch locking folder there.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I'm surprised how many people carry multitools on a daily basis. I never do. I have one, but it only goes in my pack during certain activities (spending the day underground in an abandoned mine would be one). So a single folder is my EDC. If I carry a flashlight, it is in the pack, but not every day.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carry a folder and a small SAK of some kind, daily.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:54 pm
I voted 1 knife folder or fixed. Any car I drive is full of tools, so I am never in need of a tool lol.

I would also carry a leatherman squirt or juice if it had no blade and all tools.
So you never leave your car? ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 pm
A Military model Spyderco and a Bank Debit Card. :)
Lol well said!!!

Lately Spyderco Stretch2 VG10 FRN which despite what anyone may think is indeed a Super Steel! and Credit cards and I.D.

To be fair I carry a Leatheman Crunch in the briefcase and Vctoronix Swiss Tool Multitool in the glove compartment of my TrucK which both have paid off more than ten times it’cost Since purchase.

As for the Stretch2 it paid for itself in the first week.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 pm
I'm surprised how many people carry multitools on a daily basis. I never do. I have one, but it only goes in my pack during certain activities (spending the day underground in an abandoned mine would be one). So a single folder is my EDC. If I carry a flashlight, it is in the pack, but not every day.
I'm surprised at how many folks find multiple folders more practical than a multitool & folder.

I get the most use out of a multitool compared to the other options.

I carry an additional knife mainly for food, since I don't want to cut food with my MT that is used for all sorts of stuff I don't want to cross-contaminate my lunch with.

Since my EDC multitools already have folding, locking plain & serrated blades that open and close with one hand, it makes little sense to me to carry an additional folder.

Fixed blades are easier to keep clean for food prep, so the combo of multitool + fixed blade is what I voted for. They're also handy if I want to cut something in a hurry....less stuff to fidget with than any sort of folder.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:45 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
I'm surprised at how many folks find multiple folders more practical than a multitool & folder.

I carry an additional knife mainly for food, since I don't want to cut food with my MT that is used for all sorts of stuff I don't want to cross-contaminate my lunch with.

Since my EDC multitools already have folding, locking plain & serrated blades that open and close with one hand, it makes little sense to me to carry an additional folder.

Fixed blades are easier to keep clean for food prep, so the combo of multitool + fixed blade is what I voted for. They're also handy if I want to cut something in a hurry....less stuff to fidget with than any sort of folder.
I hear were you coming from, but than you´re wearing pants with large and / or cargopockets I guess? Every multitool I can think of that has a pocket clip and a blade that is (the blade, I mean): 1.) quite big 2.) one hand opening 3.) easy accesible / on the outside of the tool - is way too bulky to be carried comfortably in something like a jeans pocket imho. So even if I´d solely think practical, I´d still carry a rather large, but slim folder (since I need a bigger blade) plus a rather small multitool (Juice or even only squirt).

The Skeletool would be closest to what I´d need maybe, but the blade is too short and especially it lacks tools I demand (scissors...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 am
Vivi wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:

I hear were you coming from, but than you´re wearing pants with large and / or cargopockets I guess? Every multitool I can think of that has a pocket clip and a blade that is (the blade, I mean): 1.) quite big 2.) one hand opening 3.) easy accesible / on the outside of the tool - is way too bulky to be carried comfortably in something like a jeans pocket imho. So even if I´d solely think practical, I´d still carry a rather large, but slim folder (since I need a bigger blade) plus a rather small multitool (Juice or even only squirt).

The Skeletool would be closest to what I´d need maybe, but the blade is too short and especially it lacks tools I demand (scissors...)
The Leatherman Rev is 5oz and is a full sized multitool with a pocket clip and one handed blade. I got one for $25. Pliers, CE blade, philips and flat head drivers, package opener, smaller flat head and a file. There is a similar model that weighs a bit more but has scissors.

Even when I carried a smaller multitool (Leatherman Micra) I got more use out of it than I did a second folder.

I've done the big folder + little folder setup. PE + SE. Leaf shape + hawkbill. Pocket bling + a beater. I've never really been in a situation where two folding knives actually came in handy. I don't come across cutting tasks I can only do with PE or SE. I don't ever need a blade shorter than my Police or Pacific Salt for EDC. Something smaller is better for certain things, but the two or three times a day I come across those jobs - it's less cumbersome to choke up on my big folder than to haul around another knife.

But I do find a lot of uses for screwdrivers, pliers, pry bars etc. in my daily life.

Every person is different. I'm 6'5 and a lean 230lbs and I don't find a MT too bulky to EDC. I carry clipped MT's in shorts, and wearing pants I can go either way. I wear Tru-specs and the mini cargo pocket on the full sized cargo pockets is the perfect size for a multitool. Keeps it vertical so it carries comfortably.

With a multitool in the cargo pocket and a FB on my belt, my pockets are 100% accessible as well. Reaching into my RFP for my phone or my LFP for my keys is much more comfortable without anything clipped to those pockets. One of the reason I often carry IWB in shorts...

Either way I'd rather carry a Pacific Salt + Leatherman Squirt PS4, or Micra, or Victorinox Cadet than two leaf shaped PE single blade Spydercos like I see a lot of in the "What's in your pockets?" thread.
Last edited by vivi on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:

The Leatherman Rev is 5oz and is a full sized multitool with a pocket clip and one handed blade. I got one for $25. Pliers, CE blade, philips and flat head drivers, package opener, smaller flat head and a file. There is a similar model that weighs a bit more but has scissors.

Even when I carried a smaller multitool (Leatherman Micra) I got more use out of it than I did a second folder.

I've done the big folder + little folder setup. PE + SE. I've never really been in a situation where two folding knives actually came in handy. I don't ckme across cutting tasks I can only do with PE or SE. I don't ever need a blade shorter than my Police or Pacific Salt for EDC.

But I do find a lot of uses for screwdrivers, pliers, pry bars etc. in my daily life.

Every person is different. I'm 6'5 and a lean 230lbs and I don't find a MT too bulky to EDC. I carry clipped MT's in shorts, and wearing pants I can go either way. I wear Tru-specs and the mini cargo pocket on the full sized cargo pockets is the perfect size for a multitool. Keeps it vertical so it carries comfortably.

With a multitool in the cargo pocket and a FB on my belt, my pockets are 100% accessible as well. Reaching into my RFP for my phone or my LFP for my keys is much more comfortable without anything clipped to those pockets. One of the reason I often carry IWB in shorts...

Either way I'd rather carry a Pacific Salt + Leatherman Squirt PS4, or Micra, or Victorinox Cadet than two leaf shaped PE single blade Spydercos like I see a lot of in the "What's in your pockets?" thread.
That pants look very practical! Only thing that would bother me: The rims of the waist-pockets(I mean the ones you would put your hands in) are very much oriented towards verical. In my experience that makes it more likely to loose a clipped folder than with pocket-rims that are more horizontal (like on most jeans); Of course waist - /hand - pockets cut like those on your pants make it easyer to reach into the pocket and get acces to stuff on the other hand
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:34 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:

I've done the big folder + little folder setup. PE + SE. I've never really been in a situation where two folding knives actually came in handy. I don't ckme across cutting tasks I can only do with PE or SE. I don't ever need a blade shorter than my Police or Pacific Salt for EDC.

That pants look very practical! Only thing that would bother me: The rims of the waist-pockets(I mean the ones you would put your hands in) are very much oriented towards verical. In my experience that makes it more likely to loose a clipped folder than with pocket-rims that are more horizontal (like on most jeans); Of course waist - /hand - pockets cut like those on your pants make it easyer to reach into the pocket and get acces to stuff on the other hand
I haven't lost any folders in these yet, but I clip them at the bottom corner of the pocket so they're pretty locked into place.

The big cargo pockets have vertical dividers so there are three compartments in each. I could comfortably carry 6 folders clipped in the two big cargo pockets if I felt inclined, haha.