Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Ikuchi

Post by ABX2011 »

Runs on bearings per Eric in Knifecenter's SHOT Show vid.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I love my Mantra 3 i hope the ikuchi has similar bearings
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I think this may be my first Spyderco of 2019.

Those two bowies were nice too...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm
I heard that too. I like it!
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Really looking forward to this. I've started new work which doesn't require the hard use I've put my past knives through. I've been carrying a sage 5 a lot recently when I'm not carrying the standard caly 3 HAP40, alongside this pakkawood Endura. I'm leaning towards the sage 5 more and more nowadays but I could do with a bit more blade.
I'm very interested in how this knife conseals the blade. People here aren't that used to things above gritty gas station knives. I've already offered to sharpen their (******) knives to get them used to properly sharpened knives and the comforts that come with it. Haven't bought more then 3 knives the last 6 months because I'm pretty content, but I have nothing like the ikuchi yet, so this will be the first knife this year and probably in quite some time. I also really like the working name 'famine'.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm
**** yeah,, Just saw it and looked up This thread to share,, but late as always..
I have no research or expertise to say for shure that it Will be a difference between washers or Bearings, But
I belive bearings is dominating washers on such a light blade, non of that matter if the detent is off though (it probably isnt). :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
alinla

Post by alinla »

It appears the Ikuchi Eric displays in the Shot show videos no longer has the hole in the scales. Disappointing, because it added character to the design. Now it looks a bit plain.
Tims

Post by Tims »

This or the Para 3 LW will be my next purchase.

Regarding bearings. I don’t own any Spyderco flippers, what bearing system do they typically run, SS or ceramic?

I live near the beach and sand is my constant companion, as a result I run my bearing knives pretty much dry. No lube except a tiny spot on the detent ball. I’ve found this works fine with ceramic bearings. Rust is less of an issue as well.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I have the Amalgam, it has what look like SS bearings nested in a phosphor-bronze washer (but I could be wrong they are ceramic). The action on this knife is incredibly smooth when opening/closing slowly, but if I flick it quickly I can feel the bearings rolling over the rough channel in the blade.

As far as the Ikuchi goes, I watched the Knifecenter video, and Eric does clearly say ball bearings on it, which I think is excellent and a surprise given how relatively inexpensive this knife is. Looking at its size and shape, it strikes me as the perfect knife to ride in my back pocket next to my wallet.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Watching Paul and Eric's Shot Show interview I couldn't help but notice that the compression lock opening is incredibly thin and small. Both Paul and Eric really had to two hand close the knife because of the need to pinch the release bar. Handling it might change my initial observation, but it looks like it could be uncomfortable to repeatedly unlock the knife.

Would love to hear from Paul about this small cutout.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Howdy everyone,
Back from Shot Show, and just wanted to share that I had a great experience... the entire Spyderco crew was amazing and couldn’t be better folks to work with. It was also fun to talk to industry insiders and other collaborators (Gayle Bradley, Ed Schempp, and Phil Wilson all shared advice and learnings that made the trip invaluable for me).

Anyway, on to addressing a couple Ikuchi questions that have popped up.

First, is it on bearings (stainless balls w/ phosphor-bronze cage) or washers (phosphor-bronze)?:
There was a little debate on this, but as there was only one piece at the show that had all the final production features intact, it was difficult to tell. Earlier prototypes were definitely on washers but the first mock-up I made was on bearings; and Eric believed there were ball bearings in the final pivot design. I wasn’t so sure, as the knife is so thin it could be near impossible to get them in the packaging space available and visual inspection of the piece while assembled was inconclusive. So, we resolved to disassemble the latest Ikuchi once Shot Show wrapped up and find out for sure. Well, Friday rolled along and everyone was so busy, we forgot to do the disection before packing everything up.
Either way, once you get used to the roller flipper, ALL the prototypes fired very well, but there is a learning curve to its opening - with preloading the flipper helping to fire the blade out there.
Sorry if this creates more confusion than clarity...

Second, is there sufficient lock-bar access for full, one-handed operation?:
For me, yes...
The cut out must be small because we wanted to make sure the blade edge was safely away from fingers in all conditions. I can flip it open and fling it closed all one-handed, but the thinness of the design means your grip needs to be fairly precise to allow for that full range of motion. It certainly may not be the best knife for gloved operation, but it is a bit of a gentleman’s folder, anyway.

More to come as production progresses and I get more details,
- Paul
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Thank you for the response, Paul!
Meddic

Post by Meddic »

New to this forum. I would like to get one of these in my pocket, will be excellent for light tasks in my job. Does anyone have any idea when it will actually be released?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Bearings or not I'm in. Kind of funny that it's a mystery. :p
alinla

Post by alinla »

Anyone else notice the hole in the scales that line up with the Spydie hole is missing on the prototype Eric demo'd in the SHOT show videos? Pity because I liked the look with the holes, it gave it character.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

alinla wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 pm
Anyone else notice the hole in the scales that line up with the Spydie hole is missing on the prototype Eric demo'd in the SHOT show videos? Pity because I liked the look with the holes, it gave it character.
Howdy alinla,
The production version will have the holes. There were a number of older parts without holes floating around that had to be used when the production proto was tied up.
The images you see at Spyderco and various internet dealers are correct and have the holes in the blade and handles.

- Paul
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Looking forward to this one Paul. I like that it's slim, I like that the blade fits completely in the handle, I like that it's a single method to open, like the blade shape, the names a little funny ;) I think this is going to be a popular knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Looks nice Paul! Looking forward to this one coming out. I really like the way you implemented the flipper.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

paulwa wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:13 am

Second, is there sufficient lock-bar access for full, one-handed operation?:
For me, yes...
The cut out must be small because we wanted to make sure the blade edge was safely away from fingers in all conditions. I can flip it open and fling it closed all one-handed, but the thinness of the design means your grip needs to be fairly precise to allow for that full range of motion. It certainly may not be the best knife for gloved operation, but it is a bit of a gentleman’s folder, anyway.

More to come as production progresses and I get more details,
- Paul
Paul - quick question in regards to the part I bolded above.

I use to own a Boker Kwaiken. Nice knife, but when closed the edge was very close to the open backside of the knife. Most times it was no issue, but I did spook myself a bit once when I grabbed the knife once and felt the edge brush against my fingerpad. There were a few posts on another forum where people actually got cut from that issue.

Lastly, how recessed is the tip when it is closed? Any issue of it snagging?

Thanks - Pat
brj

Post by brj »

Soo looking forward to this one... (the way I figure, it even has a solid chance at kicking the Rex45 Millie out of my pocket)