Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mako109

Re: Ikuchi

Post by Mako109 »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 am
Great looking knife, no doubt but it’s made in China. :eek:
Here's the answer: "At present, the nation of "China" is represented by two separate authorities: the Republic of China (commonly referred to as Taiwan) and the People's Republic of China (in mainland China and commonly referred to as just China)" "...the PRC claims Taiwan to be part of the PRC as it is the successor state to the ROC (which it views as losing the civil war), and the ROC views the PRC as an illegal state occupying China."

So I guess it's not entirely incorrect to consider Taiwan part of China, just depends on who you ask.

I've done business in both places for several years. Taiwan is definitely more civilized and livable between the two; they honor western business practices like contracts, patents, trademarks, and copyrights; and, they have a healthy respect for human rights.

Back on topic...waiting anxiously to push the BUY button on the Ikuchi!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

jimmd wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm
I like the look of this knife for the price. On the other hand, I have a Boos Blades Smoke, which is one of my favorite knives, and this seems pretty similar in many ways.

Edge length: Smoke 3.42 in, Ikuchi 3.18 in. Handle length: Smoke 4.45 in, Ikuchi 4.35 in. Weight: Smoke (CM1) 2.35 oz, Ikuchi 2.1 oz. The Ikuchi has thinner blade stock, but the Smoke's blade is pretty thin behind the edge. From the few photos I've seen of the Ikuchi, the blade shapes seem similar.

It would be nice to see a comparison between these two eventually, even though the Ikuchi is much less expensive, and the Smoke is hard to find.
Just looked up that Boos Blades Smoke...that thing is sweet!! I'd prefer that to this one honestly. Something about this knife doesn't do it for me. I love slim profile knives and like seeing one from my favorite company, but it's just goofey looking to me for some reason.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm
jimmd wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm
I like the look of this knife for the price. On the other hand, I have a Boos Blades Smoke, which is one of my favorite knives, and this seems pretty similar in many ways.

Edge length: Smoke 3.42 in, Ikuchi 3.18 in. Handle length: Smoke 4.45 in, Ikuchi 4.35 in. Weight: Smoke (CM1) 2.35 oz, Ikuchi 2.1 oz. The Ikuchi has thinner blade stock, but the Smoke's blade is pretty thin behind the edge. From the few photos I've seen of the Ikuchi, the blade shapes seem similar.

It would be nice to see a comparison between these two eventually, even though the Ikuchi is much less expensive, and the Smoke is hard to find.
Just looked up that Boos Blades Smoke...that thing is sweet!! I'd prefer that to this one honestly. Something about this knife doesn't do it for me. I love slim profile knives and like seeing one from my favorite company, but it's just goofey looking to me for some reason.
The Smoke really is outstanding. It's attractive, has a useful, elegant blade, is fun to open by multiple methods, gets bonus points as a great front flipper, feels great in the hand for such a slim handle, and takes up very little pocket space. The CM1 (carbon fiber show scale) weighs even less with better balance than the Ti version. Unfortunately the Smoke isn't readily available.

I hope the Ikuchi may offer many of the same features. I think I like the look of it well enough, but I'm unsure of how the grip will feel. The Smoke is surprisingly comfortable to hold, but the Ikuchi has a substantially different handle profile.
Jim
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Bearings or conventional washers?
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I hope it's on bearings,, light blade?
I'll still buy one either way.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 pm

I'll be surprised if it's got bearings at the $100 price point. Spyderco's literature doesn't specify either way, and their marketing typically highlights when a blade is running on bearings. The blade on this is going to be so light that I don't think it would make much of a difference if it was on bearings.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I wish I knew when this was coming out, before or after the smock, waterway, bow river, etc
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Zatx wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 am
So let's talk about the practical uses for this knife other than it being a flipper which is my old man version of a fidget spinner.

Blade shape and ergonomics: Fancy letter-opener? Obviously, it's going to be a wicked slicer, but clearly, it is not meant for hard use. Gentlemen's folder? Since it's only going to see light use, this one's a candidate for a 5-10 degree (10-20 inclusive) bevel.

I can see slipping this in my black suit with a white collar for funerals, but if anyone sees the pastor pull out this blade I'm liable to have more than one funeral to perform from the heart-attacks it will induce!

Thoughts?
Great for slicing / peeling apples for my kid. Great letter opener. Great for opening packages. Would probably do really well in a white collar (office) environment.

I like to see designs like these, and less of the Medford short bus (I need to use my "knife" as an emergency extraction tool to go through this car door, then as an emergency pry bar, to pry open the trunk, then as an emergency shovel to dig up the front of the car, all while maintaining emergency tight tolerances).
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Pretty hyped for this one, I must admit
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Howdy everyone, and thanks to you all for the interest and enthusiasm around the Ikuchi. I’m actually sitting in the airport now, on my way to join the Spyderco team and some collaborator veterans at Shot Show in Las Vegas. It’s my first time there and I’m super excited (and very flattered) to join the Spyderco crew for the event. Hopefully I’ll pull my weight at the show and who knows, maybe I’ll get to do more of these things in the future. Realistically, I’ll probably have a lot more information and details on the Ikuchi to share after the show, as up until this point I’ve only handles prototypes and pre-production pieces. So sorry if I can’t clarify the details on all facets of the knife, but at least I can talk a bit about the design and ideas that conspired to create it.

The Ikuchi began as an exercise in melding the past and present into a single knife design. I wanted to bring the clean lines and compact package of the modern kwaiken flippers (hats off to Mr. Burnley in popularizing this style) and combine that aesthetic with the handle patterns and blade shapes of well-known traditional designs. The Ikuchi is my version of the Texas toothpick pattern, but with a blade completely hidden by the liners when closed, a state-of-the-art compression lock, and a flipper opening mechanism all contained in simplified shape reminiscent of the original toothpick pattern. The Ikuchi is the first in a series of four knives I created that explore the concept of a ‘traditional kwaiken’. Its working name was ‘Famine’ with the three others names and matching traditional patterns filling out the rest of the four horsemen of the apocalypse cast. I thought that naming scheme was a bit too dark and went with something still fantastic/mythological but less depressing.

The blade of the Ikuchi is supposed to call back to a muskrat-style clip blade, with some facets omitted/blended in order to make the design more svelte. The hole in the handle was my attempt to include a ‘shield-like’ feature on the knife handle, but I opted to use the trademark Spyderco hole instead of the solid, inlaid shield (possibly the Spyderco spyder) used on most traditional patterns. The holes were also intended to serve a function, providing a bit of extra purchase and locating features for the thumb and middle finger when the user is flipping the knife open with their index finger (though thumb-flipping is hands down my favorite way to open the Ikuchi). It also felt weird to have a folding Spyderco with absolutely no visible hole when closed, so adding the handle pass-through helped calm the OCD side of me a bit. I’m not sure I was wholly successful with my original design intention… I possibly pushed it too far as no one instantly thinks ‘toothpick’ when they see the Ikuchi, and I’m pretty sure Eric was puzzled the first time I explained the ‘hole-shield’ concept to him; but they humored me and I am really, really happy how the whole project turned out.

So, the Ikuchi is meant to be an everyday, lighter-use knife for all the cutting tasks an average user may have; just like your typical traditional knife. The thin-ish blade stock is supposed to also harken back to the knives of our grandfathers, and can handle most duties in the home, office, or the field, without taking up too much pocket space. It may take a little practice to master the opening mechanism, but once you do, I think you’ll find it a handy little piece for your pocket or collection.

Thanks all, and more to come soon,
- Paul
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

paulwa wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm
Howdy everyone, and thanks to you all for the interest and enthusiasm around the Ikuchi. I’m actually sitting in the airport now, on my way to join the Spyderco team and some collaborator veterans at Shot Show in Las Vegas. It’s my first time there and I’m super excited (and very flattered) to join the Spyderco crew for the event. Hopefully I’ll pull my weight at the show and who knows, maybe I’ll get to do more of these things in the future. Realistically, I’ll probably have a lot more information and details on the Ikuchi to share after the show, as up until this point I’ve only handles prototypes and pre-production pieces. So sorry if I can’t clarify the details on all facets of the knife, but at least I can talk a bit about the design and ideas that conspired to create it.

The Ikuchi began as an exercise in melding the past and present into a single knife design. I wanted to bring the clean lines and compact package of the modern kwaiken flippers (hats off to Mr. Burnley in popularizing this style) and combine that aesthetic with the handle patterns and blade shapes of well-known traditional designs. The Ikuchi is my version of the Texas toothpick pattern, but with a blade completely hidden by the liners when closed, a state-of-the-art compression lock, and a flipper opening mechanism all contained in simplified shape reminiscent of the original toothpick pattern. The Ikuchi is the first in a series of four knives I created that explore the concept of a ‘traditional kwaiken’. Its working name was ‘Famine’ with the three others names and matching traditional patterns filling out the rest of the four horsemen of the apocalypse cast. I thought that naming scheme was a bit too dark and went with something still fantastic/mythological but less depressing.

The blade of the Ikuchi is supposed to call back to a muskrat-style clip blade, with some facets omitted/blended in order to make the design more svelte. The hole in the handle was my attempt to include a ‘shield-like’ feature on the knife handle, but I opted to use the trademark Spyderco hole instead of the solid, inlaid shield (possibly the Spyderco spyder) used on most traditional patterns. The holes were also intended to serve a function, providing a bit of extra purchase and locating features for the thumb and middle finger when the user is flipping the knife open with their index finger (though thumb-flipping is hands down my favorite way to open the Ikuchi). It also felt weird to have a folding Spyderco with absolutely no visible hole when closed, so adding the handle pass-through helped calm the OCD side of me a bit. I’m not sure I was wholly successful with my original design intention… I possibly pushed it too far as no one instantly thinks ‘toothpick’ when they see the Ikuchi, and I’m pretty sure Eric was puzzled the first time I explained the ‘hole-shield’ concept to him; but they humored me and I am really, really happy how the whole project turned out.

So, the Ikuchi is meant to be an everyday, lighter-use knife for all the cutting tasks an average user may have; just like your typical traditional knife. The thin-ish blade stock is supposed to also harken back to the knives of our grandfathers, and can handle most duties in the home, office, or the field, without taking up too much pocket space. It may take a little practice to master the opening mechanism, but once you do, I think you’ll find it a handy little piece for your pocket or collection.

- Paul
Thanks for posting. I look forward to more of your insight on the details. Enjoy Shot Show.
Justin
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hi Paul, have a blast at blade show. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the design. Do you think Spyderco will ever release the other 3 versions? Kind of like a knife series or some ting? That would be very cool. If not, perhaps you could share them with us?

I know many (myself included) are incredibly excited for this new design of yours. Well done as usual!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I prefer these unique Spyderco knives, and so I'm down for one!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

paulwa wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm

- Paul
Thanks for the insights! The design is impressive compact given the blade length and features. Can you please comment on how this knife feels in the hand?
Jim
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the insight, Paul! Looking forward to handling one of these sometime soon.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Zatx wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:14 am
Mom3ntuM wrote:

I'll be surprised if it's got bearings at the $100 price point. Spyderco's literature doesn't specify either way, and their marketing typically highlights when a blade is running on bearings. The blade on this is going to be so light that I don't think it would make much of a difference if it was on bearings.

Eric's comments make me believe it's on PB washers...or maybe it's just wishfull thinking
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:52 am
Zatx wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:14 am
Mom3ntuM wrote:

Eric's comments make me believe it's on PB washers...or maybe it's just wishfull thinking
where are people seeing the $100 price point?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

$130 retail, $100 from SFO w/OPFOCUS discount.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

ahh, make sense yeah. Thanks.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:56 am
Zatx wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 am
So let's talk about the practical uses for this knife other than it being a flipper which is my old man version of a fidget spinner.

Blade shape and ergonomics: Fancy letter-opener? Obviously, it's going to be a wicked slicer, but clearly, it is not meant for hard use. Gentlemen's folder? Since it's only going to see light use, this one's a candidate for a 5-10 degree (10-20 inclusive) bevel.

I can see slipping this in my black suit with a white collar for funerals, but if anyone sees the pastor pull out this blade I'm liable to have more than one funeral to perform from the heart-attacks it will induce!

Thoughts?
I always laugh when I read "not intended for hard use". I have an 8OT stockman in my pocket that has seen more hard work than most modern knives ever will, with blades half as thick (or maybe less). It hasn't been used for a screwdriver or crowbar, but has cut everything I needed it to for about 45 years.

I love the looks of the Ikuchi, and I'll likely get one in spite of it being a flipper and a comp lock, neither of which adds to the appeal.
That’s exactly what I was thinking Yablanowitz. Arguably my hardest used knives are my fillets that have a very similar blade profile and significantly thinner stock and grind. They see hard cutting daily through heavy scales and bones. They sometimes get pushed with excessive force and see lots of lateral pressurep/force. I have no pocket knife cutting chores in my daily life that are rougher work than that so the ikuchi should be more than capable of withstanding anything I throw at it.

Regarding the compression lock, I own plenty of them and they are nice but I have no special love for them. It seems like a good choice in this particular design though. Smooth, lightweight, low friction and unobtrusive.