Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mom3ntuM

Re: Ikuchi

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Pocket steak knife,, love it, must have.
💃
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Zatx wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 am
So let's talk about the practical uses for this knife other than it being a flipper which is my old man version of a fidget spinner.

Blade shape and ergonomics: Fancy letter-opener? Obviously, it's going to be a wicked slicer, but clearly, it is not meant for hard use. Gentlemen's folder? Since it's only going to see light use, this one's a candidate for a 5-10 degree (10-20 inclusive) bevel.

I can see slipping this in my black suit with a white collar for funerals, but if anyone sees the pastor pull out this blade I'm liable to have more than one funeral to perform from the heart-attacks it will induce!

Thoughts?
I always laugh when I read "not intended for hard use". I have an 8OT stockman in my pocket that has seen more hard work than most modern knives ever will, with blades half as thick (or maybe less). It hasn't been used for a screwdriver or crowbar, but has cut everything I needed it to for about 45 years.

I love the looks of the Ikuchi, and I'll likely get one in spite of it being a flipper and a comp lock, neither of which adds to the appeal.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:56 am

I love the looks of the Ikuchi, and I'll likely get one, especially since it's a flipper and a comp lock; both of which adds to the appeal.
Fixed it for you! ;)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Should still be great for cardboard. A 5° bevel is pretty extreme for S30, though. At 13-15° per side it should still be great.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I didn't expect to like this knife, but after handling it at BLADE I changed my mind. Surfinggringo was talking it up and I was intrigued. Interesting action, good ergonomics, and a good price. Slim size and deep carry should make for a discreet office EDC,
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Spydersense wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:56 am

I love the looks of the Ikuchi, and I'll likely get one, especially since it's a flipper and a comp lock; both of which adds to the appeal.
Fixed it for you! ;)

My thoughts exactly!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Too bad you aren't me. The only comp lock I've warmed up to at all is the one on the Para2 lefty, which I carry and use righty, when I carry it at all. Every time I close my Wolfspyder I reach for a liner lock, say a bad word or two, then use both hands to release that comp lock and close the blade. I may be alone, but I'm not a fan.

The same goes for flippers in general. At least this one doesn't have a tab sticking out. That saves me from having to grind the stupid thing off, the usual fate of a flipper tab that crosses my path.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I like the look of this knife for the price. On the other hand, I have a Boos Blades Smoke, which is one of my favorite knives, and this seems pretty similar in many ways.

Edge length: Smoke 3.42 in, Ikuchi 3.18 in. Handle length: Smoke 4.45 in, Ikuchi 4.35 in. Weight: Smoke (CM1) 2.35 oz, Ikuchi 2.1 oz. The Ikuchi has thinner blade stock, but the Smoke's blade is pretty thin behind the edge. From the few photos I've seen of the Ikuchi, the blade shapes seem similar.

It would be nice to see a comparison between these two eventually, even though the Ikuchi is much less expensive, and the Smoke is hard to find.
Jim
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

For a while I’ve thought “it only Spyderco did a version of the Burnley Kwaiken”. This seems to be in the same ballpark as the Kwaiken models.

I really like the Kwaikens aesthetically but they are not without their issues. The main one for me is that the blade profile/angle is “always running away” (in Nick Shabazz’s words) from the cut. The Ikuchi seems to have a slightly more forward angle than the Kwaiken which should help a little in that area, but I can see that will be a characteristic of this knife.

I really like the blade is on the thin side. I don’t like the bare pillar construction, it looks out of place here. Does keep the cost low though. Would rather G10 than CF/G10 (or really than CF too). Really overall nothing about this does it for me cosmetically. The blade in particular bugs me. Maybe it will look better in person.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm curious to handle one of these.

Breaks a lot of my rules. Detent based lock, little smaller than I like, don't care for flippers....

Despite that, something about it catches my eye.
:unicorn
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

jimmd wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm
I like the look of this knife for the price. On the other hand, I have a Boos Blades Smoke, which is one of my favorite knives, and this seems pretty similar in many ways.

Edge length: Smoke 3.42 in, Ikuchi 3.18 in. Handle length: Smoke 4.45 in, Ikuchi 4.35 in. Weight: Smoke (CM1) 2.35 oz, Ikuchi 2.1 oz. IThe Ikuchi has thinner blade stock, but the Smoke's blade is pretty thin behind the edge. From the few photos I've seen of the Ikuchi, the blade shapes seem similar.
It would be nice to see a comparison between these two eventually, even though the Ikuchi is much less expensive, and the Smoke is hard to find.
I'll second that the boos is hard to find. Ordered one from the winter edition, shipped at the twelfth of December. Here I am, still waiting. Had to ship internationally but I paid more then FedEx priority which I do when ordering internationally. At this point I'm actually pretty upset about it. I've ordered ed from the states to the Netherlands many times before and even with usps. I know it's the same holiday season but it's been a month already and is hasn't even arrived and in our customs yet. I've mailed him, but got nothing back.
I'm suspecting they are shipping it from Chicago to the Netherlands by steamboat, or something. I was really looking flipping forward to it, but this is getting rediculous. Should it arrive sometime before summer customs here will hold it even longer too. I'm not one to make a fuss over nothing usually but having paid 250ish including 25 bucks shipping and my item being shipped by Gandalf on his cartwheel, and not replying to friendly inquiries has left a sour taste in my mouth.

So yeah, I'll be getting the ikuchi for sure. Wouldn't mind to have a flipping blade to play around with for a few months before the smoke arrives. Sigh.
Last edited by dodgie02 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Great looking knife, no doubt but it’s made in China. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 am
Taiwai. They produce the best spydercos in terms of fit and finish of them all so goes the general consensus.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

dodgie02 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 am
Bloke wrote:
Taiwai. They produce the best spydercos in terms of fit and finish of them all so goes the general consensus.
Perhaps I’m mistaken because KnifeCentre states the knife is made in China.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:37 am
dodgie02 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 am
Bloke wrote:
Perhaps I’m mistaken because KnifeCentre states the knife is made in China.
Spydercos site says Taiwan. I've never seen S30V on a chinese Spyderco.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:48 am
Spydercos site says Taiwan. I've never seen S30V on a chinese Spyderco.
Thanks Viv, that makes sense! :cool:
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

For some reason it reminds me of an Opinel.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Pity it's a flipper, I'd buy one if it was legal here in Oz.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Flippers are fine in oz m8

Well, as fine as any one handed opening non assisted pocket knife can be.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:28 am
Flippers are fine in oz m8
Yup, you just need to hold it upside down.