Guys who put lanyards on your knives, why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cali HogHead

Re: Guys who put lanyards on your knives, why?

Post by Cali HogHead »

I was also curious as to why and who uses lanyards, until I bought the PPT Sprint last year. The deployment is quicker, and it makes a difference for me when reaching into a pocket on my overalls. I haven't added a lanyard to the rest of my knives, but I'm more open minded now.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I don't like lanyards. Most of my knives are fitted with deep carry clips which works well enough for me when I carry in any of my pockets. Only three situations where I may attach a removable lanyard (of varying lengths depending on situation):

1. If I must carry IWB (shirt untucked), then a short braided lanyard makes it easier to grab and draw.
2. Winter packpacking/snowshoeing. Lanyard helps when hands get so cold that I can't feel anything, or when wearing thick snow gloves.
3. Fly fishing waist deep in the river. Knife clipped to wader chest pocket. Long lanyard in case I drop my knife in the river.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I use a thinner diameter para cord with a snake braid (?). It's braided tight and short so it sticks straight up as shown in the photo and doesn't flop over. It also doesn't flop around when I'm using the knife. This is what I use if I have to carry IWB. Otherwise it can be removed in seconds for regular pocket carry.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Never used a lanyard/fob on a Spyderco.
I did try some leather tied to a knot on some of my traditionals with holes and bails. I thought it would look cool. Absolutely annoying.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Lodestar

Post by Lodestar »

Generally, don't use them. I think it is for flair as much or more than practical benefit in most cases.

I do have a simple one knot one on a dragonfly for when I put it in the watch pocket of jeans. I actually very much like that one. Carry it regularly that way and it is useful.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I put kind-of-lanyards exclusively on larger fixed blades when used for chopping. But these are more like paracord-loops, don't know if one could call those lanyards technically.
I do not own any Spyderco at the moment that would profit from enhancing the grip area by attaching a lanyard, cause they're all long enough gripwise. Except for the Chaparral, but ironically just that one does not offer a lanyard hole (which I like in fact) and is meant to be always held with your index finger in the choil anyway imo (which makes the "grip" long enough in return)
The single non Spyderco folder I own, the Benchmade Minigrip, is also the only one of my folders whose grip is too short for my hands and this thread encouraged me to probably try a lanyard on that knife.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

This same thread pops up every so often. I like having a lanyard hole in case I need to put a lanyard on the knife when it could be dropped. On small knives, I always have a small fob to lengthen the handle. Makes it easier to open and hold in some grips. Like, Dfly or Manbug size.
- best wishes, Jazz.