A Little Wharncliffe Love

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Igi964

Re: A Little Wharncliffe Love

Post by Igi964 »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:39 am
Igi964 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 am
Thinking about wharncliffe Delica. I want to ask wich blade is a better slicer? Less drag on deep cut, like cardboard. FFG plain edge VG-10, or hollow grind plain edge H1?

Most definitely, in my experience, FFG VG 10. I really hate serrations and cardboard. They can be okay, but I don’t have time for okay. My PE VG 10 flies through cardboard all day long. I sharpen to about 15° per side. I like serrations when sharp, but not for cardboard. If you’re not cutting much cardboard, then either. The SE has shallow serrations on it. They’re all nice knives, and I have them all, but for what you asked, FFG PE all the way.

Thanks for the answer, Jazz. Nice to get feedback from you.
I have Salt 2 serrated as my EDC lately. I like the light (no liners ) handle,overall size and ergos. It is really a good EDC and work knife. But serrations became a bit trouble for me. Just like you said. Freshly sharp it is good, after day or two I wish I bought a plain edge:(. I was following your thread about wharnie Delica and was very tempted to get one. Now I am sure, I will buy one and swap the blade to the Salt 2 handle.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I've only got one but man, what a knife. I'm still kicking myself for not ordering a backup while they still had them in stock. Here are some obligatory pics. :)

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What do you touch up your edges with, jazz?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 am
What do you touch up your edges with, jazz?

At work, I use the bottom of ceramic plates, so probably like the fine Sharpmaker rods. Then, I strop a bit on cardboard. Lasts a few weeks. I do steel once in a while. If you care about the tip staying pointy, don’t steel a wharnie. Mine’s a tad rounded, but it still penetrates very easily.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Igi964 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:04 am
I will buy one and swap the blade to the Salt 2 handle.

Make sure to swap the lock bar too. It’s a great mod. I love those light handles...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

OK. Thanks. Blade and lock bar must stay together. I suppose the swap works both ways. After that I will have VG-10 wharcliffe in yellow FRN, but also H1 Salt 2 blade in black Delica FRN handle???
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yes. My lock bar from the Salt to Delica handle was a bit tight. I had to trim the FRN on each side a tiny bit. Not sure if that’s the same for every one. It was a black coated one I did, though.
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:15 pm
Dang do these Casey Lynch scales make me envy!
Had been scouring through the Internet in the past few years, all I was able to lay my hands on are those made for PM2.
This fact combined with existing Nishijin R at a relatively acceptable price have been holding me up from purchasing any Delicas for like forever. Now with these sweet Wharnies, BentoBoxShop Lil' Matriarch as well as Salt 2s, I can sorta hear a voice inside urging me to reconsider my decisions at times...
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

My Two...
Attachments
FE850450-4D2E-4EC3-BDC2-FAC07C0A92FB.jpeg
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

My PE wharnie slays cardboard better than my SE Salt 2. Love the handle thickness of the Salt, but I like liners for pivot stability. The weight is negligible, most every other knife I’ve ever carried is heavier than a Delica.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

IMG_20190205_071353367.jpg
My wharnie arrived yesterday. I like it very much. Thank You Jazz and Sal for creating such a great work knife. I switched blade to Salt 2 handle. Now I have 51grams of pocket scalpel:)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice. Don’t those handles feel great?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Yes. Indeed. They are great. I was trying both for a couple of minutes and found out I prefer these lighter and thicker handles much better.
I'm also very suprised how good this wharncliffe blade is in real life. I was following the thread about its creation, but I wasn't able to fully appreciate it untill now. You have to use it first.
Strider

Post by Strider »

I just said this in another thread, but I do not like the delica, but love the wharncliffe (PE/SE) versions. How is the SE salt version compared to the VG-10 considering it is not FFG?

The SE wharncliffe will by my first Endura. Looking forward to the extra length.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Catamount123 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:37 am

You could say I am a fan of this blade shape ;)

You *need* a Kiwi 4!

funghiman wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:17 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:15 pm
Dang do these Casey Lynch scales make me envy!
Had been scouring through the Internet in the past few years, all I was able to lay my hands on are those made for PM2.
This fact combined with existing Nishijin R at a relatively acceptable price have been holding me up from purchasing any Delicas for like forever. Now with these sweet Wharnies, BentoBoxShop Lil' Matriarch as well as Salt 2s, I can sorta hear a voice inside urging me to reconsider my decisions at times...

Never reconsider getting an R!!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Igi964 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:45 am
Yes. Indeed. They are great. I was trying both for a couple of minutes and found out I prefer these lighter and thicker handles much better.
I'm also very suprised how good this wharncliffe blade is in real life. I was following the thread about its creation, but I wasn't able to fully appreciate it untill now. You have to use it first.

I can honestly say, I never get tired of using mine. I’m always thankful for it when using it at work. It does the job so well. Thanks again, Sal and Eric.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Just arrived today. Shout out to houseofblades for really really fast shipping! I’ve heard so much positive about this model/shape. Time to experience it for myself!
tangent

Post by tangent »

I have two of these Wharnies. I modified mine by taking the exclusive S30V version from Cutlery Shoppe and putting them into yellow salt handles. Awesome little knives. I carry these knives exclusively. Also sanded the paint off of the titanium clips. I like them...I wish Spyderco would make all Delica models linerless as they feel a little better and simplify the knife.
Attachments
S30V 'Salt' Wharnies
S30V 'Salt' Wharnies