Para 3 blade not moving freely

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mt1863

Para 3 blade not moving freely

Post by Mt1863 »

I just recently purchased my first Para 3. I got the one with 52100 steel and I love it. The only issue I had was the blade was not moving freely especially when trying to close with one hand. I got it to loosen slightly by reapetedly opening and closing it until I realized the problem. When I’m holding the knife and pressing the lock bar to allow it to close the pressure from my grip was putting more pressure on the pivot. Everything else looked perfect so I decided to reverse the pocket clip for tip down carry. This solved the problem and it works perfect. Now when I squeeze the lock mechanism my other fingers are on the pocket clip which seems to prevent squeezing the pivot. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? Hope this is helpful.
ferider

Re: Para 3 blade not moving freely

Post by ferider »

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing you can do about it. It's a "feature" of the design, having just 4 screws and a floating stop pin.

I don't use clips on such a small knife, and when I close it, my middle finger is in the middle of the RH scale, and my ring finger close to the lanyard hole. Might want to try like this.

Roland.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I’ve noticed this also, particularly with my dlc coated para 3s. I avoid this by not even touching the right scale upon closing. I just pinch grip the left side at the compression lock release and the blade will freely fall assuming the pivot isn’t too tightly screwed down.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mt,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Mt1863

Post by Mt1863 »

Thanks for the replies on this topic. I think I like the pocket clip mounted tip down better anyway. Like my para 2.