Stretch3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Stretch3

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:42 pm
I've already noticed that you really are a big Stretch advocate and seem to know everything about it, which is great.
How many do you actually own?

And did I get you right: You liked the SIZE of the handle of the original Stretch, but not its shape or material?

2mm bladestock would be great indeed!!

Quite a few. At least one "stock" specimen of every plain edged production varaint made, plus a couple prototypes and several that I've had customized for me.

Left column, top to bottom:
Original SS/Kraton VG-10 Stretch
PeelPly CF ZDP-189 Stretch - first of the 2nd generation of the Stretch 1
Black FRN prototype Gen 2 Stretch marked VG-10 but actually ZDP-189 as no VG-10 blades yet existed
Blue FRN ZDP-189 Gen 2 Stretch these were made for a while, till Spyderco decided to standardize on green for ZDP-189 models
Green FRN ZDP-189 Gen 2 Stretch
Grey FRN Super Blue Gen 2 Stretch

Middle Column, top to bottom:
Blue Nishijin Glass Gen 2 Stretch
Black Nishijin Glass Gen 2 Stretch
Orange FRN HAP-40 Gen 2 Stretch
Brown G-10 ZDP-189 Stretch 2 - first version of the Stretch 2
Black FRN VG-10 Stretch 2
Green FRN ZDP-189 Stretch 2
Blue FRN V-Toku Stretch 2

Right Column, top to bottom:
SS "1st Gen" Stretch customized with brown canvas Micarta inlays replacing the Kraton
SS "1st Gen" Stretch fully customized with Lignum Vitae scales over titanium liners
Prototype Bolstered Stretch with cocobolo scales
Black Nishijin Glass Stretch customized by having damascus etch lightened
FRN VG-10 Stretch customized with textured Cocobolo scales
G-10 ZDP-189 Stretch 2 customized with textured Black Palm scales

Here's a better shot of the 4 "woodies". They're the ones I carry most often and the Lignum Vitae one being the most carried of all, mostly because I've had it for almost 12 years.

Paul,

thanks for showing your collection of Stretches!! I could look at the photos about forever.. ;)
I am glad that I realized how great the Stretch 1 is just early enough to at least own two of this model myself (VG10 and HAP40)

The "woodies" look beautiful and must feel great in hand.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:59 am
Whats- a boye dent is when there's a little dent in the backlock. I think the purpose is to easier locate the lock without having to look at it. :)
The Boye dent was originally designed to prevent accidental unlocking when gripping the knife tightly. People either love it or very much hate it, some few of use don’t care either way.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Forgot to mention that Paul’s bolstered Stretch is gorgeous and I believe would sell well even at a the high price they would need to charge for it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:39 am
Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:59 am
Whats- a boye dent is when there's a little dent in the backlock. I think the purpose is to easier locate the lock without having to look at it. :)
The Boye dent was originally designed to prevent accidental unlocking when gripping the knife tightly. People either love it or very much hate it, some few of use don’t care either way.
Ah,, that really does'nt make much sense to me..
So much for using my common sense to try and explain things. 😂
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Tim, Have you handled or gotten a Stretch yet?
Tims wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:07 pm
I love a good choil, thin blade stock too, so the only thing that has kept me from getting a stretch is the blade shape. That bloody blade. It’s just too ‘butter knife’ for me.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Funny, isn't it, how we can quickly change our views on aesthetics once we experience the function!?
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 am
sal wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:58 pm
Tims wrote:
I love a good choil, thin blade stock too, so the only thing that has kept me from getting a stretch is the blade shape. That bloody blade. It’s just too ‘butter knife’ for me.
Too much eye, not enough brain. :p

sal
Exactly... ;) ;)
@Tims: Just kidding of course, but do yourself a favor and give the Stretch a try! Regardless if Stretch 1 or 2, you'll get to love the blade shape. Most versatile I personally have ever experienced in a folder, ingenious design (that goes for the handle either imho).
And funny thing is: After some use I even began to really like the looks, which was not the case in the beginning.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Just got my VG10 Stretch2. It joins my original VG10 and ZDP Stretches and my G10 Stretch2.

Now I see the reason for all the earlier puzzlement regarding disparities in blade-length (and -height), handle-length, and blade-handle ratio. Fascinating.

With the G10 Stretch2’s arrival came my preference for its blade-shape over the original Stretch (still love the original). Yet I have continued to prefer the original’s handle because, while not as long as the G10 Stretch2, it is wider.

After taking down a bunch of boxes with my newly-arrived FRN Stretch2, I gotta say it suits my eye and largish hands the best of all the Stretches so far, even if each iteration exceeds my expectations for performance.

Indeed, I would never have noticed the FRN Stretch2’s slightly shorter blade-length but for the comparison of specs in this thread.

I don’t see how Sal can improve on the Stretch any further, but that’s because I’m not Sal. I’m content to wait for his next surprise in what is his “special project”.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tims

Post by Tims »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 am
Tim, Have you handled or gotten a Stretch yet?
Tims wrote:
Hi mate, no plans for a stretch at this stage. I’ve got so many knives in that size range, another of the same size has to really talk to me if I’m going to buy it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:29 pm

I don’t see how Sal can improve on the Stretch any further, but that’s because I’m not Sal. I’m content to wait for his next surprise in what is his “special project”.
Sal mentioned, that he planned to do a straight-spine-version of the Stretch. So, as far as I understand, keeping everything the same except the spine would look llike the one on Endura/Delica, and not inward-curved.

Wonder if this version will feature the longer blade length of the current G10 model, or the shorter of the FRN version. Would hope for a blade as long as possible.

Though personally I don't see much of an advantage in a straight-spine-Stretch. I guess it will be wider in the pocket and the curved spine of the current Stretch gives you a nice option to place thumb or index finger in certain grips, better than on a straight spine.

But maybe some people will find a straight spine Stretch more appealing to the eye.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:05 pm
Sal mentioned, that he planned to do a straight-spine-version of the Stretch. So, as far as I understand, keeping everything the same except the spine would look llike the one on Endura/Delica, and not inward-curve.
I saw that. Perhaps he wants to give Endura and Delica devotees a chance to have the multi-purpose shape of the Stretch’s cutting edge.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:05 pm
Sal mentioned, that he planned to do a straight-spine-version of the Stretch. So, as far as I understand, keeping everything the same except the spine would look llike the one on Endura/Delica, and not inward-curve.
I saw that. Perhaps he wants to give Endura and Delica devotees a chance to have the multi-purpose shape of the Stretch’s cutting edge.
Perhaps! Though I think a straight spined Stretch could possibly compete heavily with the upcoming Endela (depending on how this model will look like exactly). Though the Endela will not be featuring a finger choil, Sal mentioned.

If a straight-spine-Stretch will not have that drop / hump at the tip like Delica and Endura (which makes the tip less pointy but stronger), it will also very much be shaped like a PM 2-blade (except the thinner stock and probably different distal taper).
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

What an interesting discussion! The Stretch 2 introduction was the catalyst for a complete revamp of my Spyderco collection. The Stretch 2 doesn't feel great to me, and it made me realize that the ergo's for opening and using the Stretch 1 were the best I'd ever encountered in a Spyderco. I sold all of my other Spyderco's (I saved one Para 2 out of several), reinvested the money into a few more Stretch 1's before new ones got harder to find, and pocketed the rest!

I'd like to see a straight-spine Stretch, but only in the Stretch 1 handle and with the smaller choil/shorter pivot-to-hole radius of the first design. The Stretch 2 may be better for larger hands, but the 1 was perfect for my medium hands. I also loved the hook at the end of the handle. Trying to make a knife work for everyone means it's likely to be perfect for no one. With so many models in its catalog, I think Spyderco could have left this model as one targeted to medium-handed fans. Adding a straight spine would have improved sales. But of course without the intro of the Stretch 2 my Stretch 1 epiphany may not have ever happened!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pinepig2 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 pm
What an interesting discussion! The Stretch 2 introduction was the catalyst for a complete revamp of my Spyderco collection. The Stretch 2 doesn't feel great to me, and it made me realize that the ergo's for opening and using the Stretch 1 were the best I'd ever encountered in a Spyderco. I sold all of my other Spyderco's (I saved one Para 2 out of several), reinvested the money into a few more Stretch 1's before new ones got harder to find, and pocketed the rest!

I'd like to see a straight-spine Stretch, but only in the Stretch 1 handle and with the smaller choil/shorter pivot-to-hole radius of the first design. The Stretch 2 may be better for larger hands, but the 1 was perfect for my medium hands. I also loved the hook at the end of the handle. Trying to make a knife work for everyone means it's likely to be perfect for no one. With so many models in its catalog, I think Spyderco could have left this model as one targeted to medium-handed fans. Adding a straight spine would have improved sales. But of course without the intro of the Stretch 2 my Stretch 1 epiphany may not have ever happened!
Hellp pinepig 2,

I will not reply in detail here, cause I´ve already said a lot and for some even too much I guess ;) about Stretch 1 vs Stretch 2. I really begin to repeat myself. But since I am feeling much like you about the Stretch 1 (even though I have bigger hands than you, presumably, and even though the Stretch 2 is a great knife also) I may point you to one of the first threads I started on this forum (link below). There my goal was to discuss, if it was possible to have BOTH versions in production at the same time.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82369&p=1293131&hil ... 2#p1293131
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I would like to see a Partly and fully serrated Stretch as an option and a salt version as well PE, SE. PS blades. If you guys want a change in your point of view carry a smaller knife for two weeks like I did with my Native salt. Then come back to your Stretch 1 or two.

I had no idea how much I missed my stretch knives and now they seem much larger. Wow all over again Sal great design.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

LC200N Salt. It's got to be in the works. Right
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:20 am
I know a few of us would buy at least one--- but Sal says the S2 is already a slow seller... wouldn't a Salt S2 have an even narrower audience?

It would combine an all time favorite knife with an all time favorite steel!

Neon lime handle!?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:28 am
5-by-5 wrote:
I know a few of us would buy at least one--- but Sal says the S2 is already a slow seller... wouldn't a Salt S2 have an even narrower audience?

Neon lime handle!?
I rmember Sal saying that but check this idea out. They already have the G-10 version out and the blade of the G-10 Version of the Stretch2 is closer to the Stretch 1.

So make that blade shape in LC200N with LC200N Liners in FRN and you would have the one that sells. One of the biggest problems in my opinion is people do not realize just how good VG-10 Steel really is so it gets dismissed as yesterdays steel which is a completely wrong attitude.

As far as Salt audience it is not so much the SALT that matters but the recognition of LC200N as being an amazing rust proof easy to sharpen and tough steel is growing as more knives are being produced in it. The steel is truly a marvel to use.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am
Enactive wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:28 am
5-by-5 wrote:

Neon lime handle!?
I rmember Sal saying that but check this idea out. They already have the G-10 version out and the blade of the G-10 Version of the Stretch2 is closer to the Stretch 1.

So make that blade shape in LC200N with LC200N Liners in FRN and you would have the one that sells. One of the biggest problems in my opinion is people do not realize just how good VG-10 Steel really is so it gets dismissed as yesterdays steel which is a completely wrong attitude.

As far as Salt audience it is not so much the SALT that matters but the recognition of LC200N as being an amazing rust proof easy to sharpen and tough steel is growing as more knives are being produced in it. The steel is truly a marvel to use.
100%

Vg-10 is a fantasic steel, it is by no means obsolete.

LC200N is my favorite steel, bar none. It performs incredibly well and seems to sharpen a bit easier than Vg-10.

I can't wait to see what all Spyderco does with LC200N.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Sounds like we have a regular ol' LC200n fan club here. Count me in for more if it!