Sage 5 detent

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sam Kramson

Sage 5 detent

Post by Sam Kramson »

Hey guys - I am very interested in the sage 5, but just saw a review that says the detent is weak. I just got rid of the sage 3 because of that very reason. How does the sage 5's detent compare with the para 3's detent? Roughly equivalent or noticeably weaker? Thanks in advance!
BLUETYPEII

Re: Sage 5 detent

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I cannot tell you how this compares to the PM3 But what I can tell you is the Sage 5 is one of the nicest Spyderco’s I own. The fit and finish is perfect and it flicks really well, thumb or spydie flick. Get one you won’t be disappointed.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Crux

Post by Crux »

It compares quite well. The Sage 5 is like a slightly bigger bladed Para 3. I love the compression lock, obviously, and it's a great knife. No regrets.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
dammyippon

Post by dammyippon »

Just checked mine and they are pretty much the same. The 5 is one of the best edc knives out there IMO.
Adam Brands Þórarinsson
Crux

Post by Crux »

dammyippon wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:54 pm
Just checked mine and they are pretty much the same. The 5 is one of the best edc knives out there IMO.
I'm thinking it should be renamed the Para 3.5
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sam Kramson wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:24 pm
Hey guys - I am very interested in the sage 5, but just saw a review that says the detent is weak. I just got rid of the sage 3 because of that very reason. How does the sage 5's detent compare with the para 3's detent? Roughly equivalent or noticeably weaker? Thanks in advance!
My first Sage 5 a little detent slop but it definitely wasn't what I would consider to be weak. Spyderco's W&R department replaced that knife and the one they sent me was fine. The detent is similar to my Para 3's. It might be a little lighter but (again) not what I would consider weak. I can't shake the blade out of the handle. I just about threw my arm out trying :)

Also, the Sage 3 doesn't use a detent ball like the other versions of the Sage series. That's also why the Sage 3's blade deploys so smoothly.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Crux wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm
I'm thinking it should be renamed the Para 3.5
I'm not sure I follow Crux. According to the specs the difference is 1mm (.039"). Like you said previously, the blade is only slightly longer. The handle on the Para 3 is actually longer than the handle on the Sage 5.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Personally, if you already have a Para 3...buying a Sage 5 is kind of a waste. They are such similar knives. I had both at one time, and sold the Sage 5. I began to find it more boring compared to my Para 3's and wasn't as big of a fan of the leaf blade, though I did ever so slightly prefer the ergos/choil of the Sage 5.

But to answer your question, in terms of detent, they were very similar.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick